Which filter brand complies with USCAR-36 spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw the Ford video on filters which leaves me curious as to which oil filters comply to USCAR-36

I didn’t realize it was that old. The whole thing sounds like a new standard put up by the big 2 and Fiat.

It does seem to favor synthetic media over paper though. The whole video was pretty much a Ford/Motorcraft informercial.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac

It does seem to favor synthetic media over paper though.

There isn't an oil filter made today anywhere that is just "paper" only. They wouldn't last.

Let's say all cellulose oil filters contain
Can you market them as "Synthetic blend" media? Why or why not?

It's why I have never spent an extra $2 a quart for "Synthetic blend" oil...
you don't know if it is 50% blend or 5% blend

All 0W-20 oil is a synthetic blend, but often/usually isn't marketed as such.

Just reading a little on the surface from a search of USCAR 36 it looks like a Ford, Chrysler, and GM effort to get better filters. So those labels should be meeting the specs, maybe. Ford video says theirs do. However right here in this forum we see a brand new Chrysler vehicle with a defective oil filter installed by the factory. Not defects of materials or design, but assembly line defects. It costs $78 to see the whole article.

To judge assembly line defects, people have to continue to cut open oil filters, new or used. Dealers don't do it. I think Toyota Denso, Wix, and possibly Fram Ultra (not their others) have shown the least hidden defects. Among the commonly used filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back