Requirements:
- 4 door sedan or 5 door hatchback or wagon
- RWD or AWD
- no 4 cyl engine
- fun to drive
- classy interior
- not horrible reliability, but it does not need to have stellar reliability
- can be new or used, but not too old and no high miles

It can be a new one for up to $50k, or a used one for say $30-35k and keep the rest aside for potential repairs.

I test drove a Charger Scat Pack and Audi S5 Sportback recently. Both kind of fit the bill, but I wish I could have the Charger's engine with S5's interior.

A used Macan S crossed my mind, too, even though it's not a sedan, but it does nearly drive like one.

So, what else should I be looking at?

The Kia Stinger is worth considering

You can also get a RWD IS300 within your budget too
smile.gif

Audi S6 with the V8 4.0 twin turbo. Amazing engine and interior.

If you can find one CPO they are a fun and a decent value.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
I bought my house for $50K. The interior is classy, but it only has two doors.

Does it have wheels?
smile.gif

Less than 60% of 50K would put you in a new Outback with the flat six.
The more premium versions have a pretty nice interior, although not really classy.
The Charger's interior is far from classy, certainly nothing like any Audi of the past twenty years.
If shopping used, then the world is your oyster.
Lots of high zoot stuff out there for the 35K you say you'd be willing to give up on something used.
From Tesla to any BMW, Benz or Audi, 35K will buy you a lot in a used car.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd let my Carrera go and pick up and yellow 996 C4S or Turbo.

+1. I can't see putting $50k to a daily driver that is a depreciating asset.

Nothing wrong with buying a $50k+ car; it's a daily driver that's the rub. It's literally leaving dollar bills on the road mile by mile for monotonous duty. And that's not just a matter of "luxury" vehicles. The obscene pricing on full size trucks and SUVs is similar.

Id rather buy a new vehicle for $30k, which is about average, and then have something worthwhile to keep nice. Having the other vehicle keeps mileage down.

Just another perspective.

It is wasn't for your no 4 cylinder requirement I would be all over a Lapiz Blue Golf R w/ manual transmission.

The Ford Taurus and Chrysler 300 fit the bill and can be had new for close to the price you're willing to pay for a used one.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd let my Carrera go and pick up and yellow 996 C4S or Turbo.

+1. I can't see putting $50k to a daily driver that is a depreciating asset.

Nothing wrong with buying a $50k+ car; it's a daily driver that's the rub. It's literally leaving dollar bills on the road mile by mile for monotonous duty. And that's not just a matter of "luxury" vehicles. The obscene pricing on full size trucks and SUVs is similar.

Id rather buy a new vehicle for $30k, which is about average, and then have something worthwhile to keep nice. Having the other vehicle keeps mileage down.

Just another perspective.

As you can see from the cars people buy on BITOG and posting photos.... there's many people that can legitimately afford a $50,000 vehicle and not have any negative effects on their financial security.

Quattro,
What about an Infinity?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Right, but then you are paying for insurance, registration, and maintenance on two vehicles.

I work from home, so I don't really put on too many miles anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back