How often cleaning MAF sensor/Throttle body?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a good air filter, my MAF never ever ever needs cleaning.... ever.

The TB I cleaned once at 120,000... it was almost perfectly clean to begin with.

Normally about every 80,000 miles. If the engine is tired and drawing a little oil vapor out of the engine into the intake, I would clean it more often.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I use a good air filter, my MAF never ever ever needs cleaning.... ever.

The TB I cleaned once at 120,000... it was almost perfectly clean to begin with.

Gotta worry about the other side. Unburned hydrocarbons can vent back and coat the MAF wires when the engine is turned off.

I clean mine every 15k. Might be too often but ohwell

Throttle body, intake, and PCV system I try to clean every 30k or so.

The MAF sensor usually at the 100k service. Only time I would do it sooner is if the car is having issues and/or they run a "high flow" air filter.

The ETB in my '99 and '02 Volvo V70's always looked like they belonged in a jewelry store's window.

When I got my '07 I didn't even think to look. I will during our next warm spell.

Many thanks.

BTW: My cars were not turbos nor had they any oiled air filtration option.

Whenever I have to pull the ducting to perform other service which is rarely. Or every five years when I change the air filter.

i live in Indonesia and quiet dusty here. i am using paper filter from Denso.

for cleaning MAF i routinely clean it every 10000 km

Originally Posted By: malibuguy79
Originally Posted By: Linctex
I use a good air filter, my MAF never ever ever needs cleaning.... ever. The TB I cleaned once at 120,000... it was almost perfectly clean to begin with.

Gotta worry about the other side. Unburned hydrocarbons can vent back and coat the MAF wires when the engine is turned off.

Never.

The MAF is 3 feet in front of an electronic throttle body that is 100% closed when the engine is off.

It will never, ever happen.

I think it is different for each engine, different designs. Like my 96 civic would need a cleaning every 3 years, 40k miles. or so.. But my 06 scion tc, needs it twice a year. The routing of the pcv system dumps the vapors right back at the throttle body on the tC. The civic routes it into the intake manifold downstream of the throttle plate. Hence less deposits.

The same applies to the MAF sensor. The throttle body and MAF get dirty on the tC at the same rate. Again it's because of the PCV system's design..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back