Bosch 3311

Status
Not open for further replies.
U code year Bosch Premium used on my lawn mower. No defect. Nice adbv, just a good design, perfect centering. Round holes in spiral center tube. These had a high efficiency rating too, don't remember what. Should have left it on another few years, or forever. Replaced with Delco pf1233.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
.... used on my lawn mower. Should have left it on another few years, or forever.

I agree; lawnmower engines will honestly last their whole life on one filter.

They really do not pump a lot of oil.....

Originally Posted By: Linctex
.... used on my lawn mower. Should have left it on another few years, or forever.

I thought so too but not so sure now. When the filter was removed NO oil came out, right after running. The center tube drained immediately, as filter base is down. There was oil in the dirty side of the filter which I drained out by opening the adbv. So the oil pump has to fill the center tube and galleries on every start. Which means in a downward facing oil filter, like this one, a smaller filter and smaller center tube is better. Which explains why some mower filters are these short things. A long filter will take a lot longer to fill.

The running time of my mower isn't a lot, and I only changed the filter due to age and tear scare. The Delco will be on only a couple years, has nitrile.

I have always wondered what volume a small ope engine ran through the filter. I assume my zero turn engine( kawasaki fr651v) is still splash lubed even if it has a filter.

I've thought about putting a 3600 ( longer than the stock 3614) fram ultra on it and leaving it for several years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

I have always wondered what volume a small ope engine ran through the filter. I assume my zero turn engine( kawasaki fr651v) is still splash lubed even if it has a filter.

I've thought about putting a 3600 ( longer than the stock 3614) fram ultra on it and leaving it for several years.

It may be unwise to put larger filters on power equipment if the base is pointing down. Probably the oe size is best. I think my mower engine only uses pressure lubrication, full flow. The engine manual diagrams should show the construction of the oiling circuit and if there are splash dippers.

Well, they pump full reasonably fast. Some have an oil switch/light

You should always start the engine at low RPM and let it warm up for a minute befotre putting under a load, anyway.

These engines are pretty under rated (for their size) and usually low compression. They can start and run at idle for quite a while with no "oil starvation" concerns.

I replaced the PH3614 size ecore oil filter on my Toro ZTR with Kohler engine with a PH3600 size filter, a CQ Blue 51516 manufactured by Wix, several years ago and have had zero problems. This engine has the oil filter mounted vertically base end up, and the owners'manual specifies prefilling a new filter prior to installation. I change out oil & filter every 2 years, OM says to change oil every 50 engine hours and oil filter every 100 engine hours. The oversize filter makes an oil change an even 1.5 quarts. I used to use the same conventional 10W-30 Exxon Superflow I used in my truck at that time but now use 10W-30 Havoline Pro DS Synthetic I bought on clearance at AAP when I could still get a rebate from Chevron. Mower is about 12 years old now and runs as strong as when we first bought it.

My mower filter is horizontally mounted. The engine has a gerotor oil pump. The oil pressure spec's are 43psi to 85 psi. So i think the 3600 filter should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back