Mobil1 EP High Mileage 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just got an email from Mobil 1 announcing their new Mobil 1 EP High Mileage. When I looked at the "product specs" sheet for the 0w-20, I see the phosphorus is 800 and the zinc is 900. In the past, I used the Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20, which has phosphorus 650 and zinc 750. Some years back,when they came out with the Mobil 1 EP in 0w-20, I saw it had phosphorus 800 zinc 900,so I switched to it. Now, when I look at the "product specs" for all the Mobil 1 0w-20 oils, I see the only one with phosphorus 800 zinc 900 is the new EP High Mileage 0w-20. The 0w-20 Mobil 1 EP is no longer phosphorus 800 zinc 900, it is now phosphorus 650 zinc 750.
My question is does this really make a difference, and should I switch to the new Mobil 1 EP High Mileage 0w-20?

Is your vehicle "high mileage"? Usually folks switch to a HM oil due to its stronger seal conditioner additives.

Excuse my newbieness to the forums. What is the goals of phosphorus and zinc. What does it actually do it stick to walls or contamination? TIA

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Is your vehicle "high mileage"? Usually folks switch to a HM oil due to its stronger seal conditioner additives.

In this case I switch because its on sale and won't hurt your engine. I've been using HM off and on for over four years and my Toyota Corolla hasn't exploded or bust into flames yet.

Originally Posted By: Jooksing
Excuse my newbieness to the forums. What is the goals of phosphorus and zinc. What does it actually do it stick to walls or contamination? TIA

Phosphorus and zinc are for anti wear, but a lot of people get too hung up on their values, as there are better ways to reduce engine wear these days, such as titanium and boron.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
I heard from mech that the hm oils can destroy the seals in the newer japanese engines. any info on this?

Sounds like the mechanics that warn against 0W oils because they are too thin and will ruin your engine.

Same one who did this?

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
bad waterpump was determined .. keyhole was not lined up with cam and some type of housing was broken. Last mech screwed up and screwed up many times.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Thanks for organizing those numbers. I don’t think anyone can prove a difference either way. How many miles is on your vehicle?

I have 62,000 on my Mazda 6, so I was thinking of switching to the new 0w-20 EP HM at 75,000 like the Mobil 1 info talks about. After I saw where my current 0w-20 EP has lowered the phosphorus and zinc compared to the new 0w-20 EP HM, I was wondering if the difference in phosphorus and zinc would make it worth switching now.

Maybe it’s just me but I’m thinking that high mileage oil is used to slightly swell the elastomer seals in engines to reduce oil leaks. I don’t like the idea of introducing the oil to engines that don’t have leaks, I think Mobil’s choice of 75,000 miles was more of a marketing thing than a technical reccomendation.

Maybe someone else knows more about this but I would not use HM until I saw drips. If 75,000 miles is “high mileage” what is 200,000 miles?

My Colorado 3.5 with 115K never had any leaks and never used hardly any oil .... UNTIL ...I recently changed to Valvoline High Mileage Synthetic. Consumption has now tripled from a half-quart in 6K to 1-1/2qts.

The sad part is I bought enough Valvoline HM Synthetic for two OCIs. I just might give away those six quarts I have remaining.
Back to SOPUS I come, but not their High Mileage oils .....initially anyways. I'll first wait and see if the consumption lessens.

So the end result says don't use high mileage unless needed. Don't try to fix something that ain't broke. If you do, then you may make things worse. Leave well-enough alone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
My Colorado 3.5 with 115K never had any leaks and never used hardly any oil .... UNTIL ...I recently changed to Valvoline High Mileage Synthetic. Consumption has now tripled from a half-quart in 6K to 1-1/2qts.

The sad part is I bought enough Valvoline HM Synthetic for two OCIs. I just might give away those six quarts I have remaining.
Back to SOPUS I come, but not their High Mileage oils .....initially anyways. I'll first wait and see if the consumption lessens.

So the end result says don't use high mileage unless needed. Don't try to fix something that ain't broke. If you do, then you may make things worse. Leave well-enough alone.

After reading this, I think I will just keep using my Mobil 1 EP 0w-20, and not worry about the difference in phosphorus and zinc. I do wonder why Mobil lowered the phosphorus and zinc in the Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 from what is was when the EP 0w-20 first came out.

If Walmart carries the Valvoline HM synthetic you bought, you can take it there, with no receipt, and get a store credit.

I noticed that my local Walmart had this new flavor of Mobil 1. What was more interesting is that it didn't earn any more shelf space for the brand, they simply reduced the shelf space for AP by half and put the new oil where it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back