Recommendations for .22 pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago I decided that I wanted to start a collection of unique .22 rifles. Those that are different from the millions of Ruger 10/22 (of which I have 2) and Marlin Model 60 rifles that are out there. So I picked myself up a Browning BL-22, and just recently added a Browning T-Bolt to the start of my collection.

I'm already planning on what I want to get next, and I'm leaning strongly towards a pump .22. From the limited research I have done so far, the only current production rimfire pumps I can find are the Henry and the Remington 572 Fieldmaster. Oh. And I saw a Taurus.

I have no experience with either one of them. And I don't know if there are any other pump .22 rifles currently available. Any recommendations? Are thee any others. Has anyone shot more than one? Is one particularly more accurate? Or funner to shoot? Smoother action?

I have a Rossi clone of the Model 62 Winchester Pump. It's all blued steel and Walnut, (no Aluminum). And it runs perfectly. They're no longer made, but they are not too hard to find on the used market. And they are a LOT cheaper than an original Model 62. The Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump is a beautiful rifle. It comes with the same type of sliding groove rear iron sights the Model 700 BDL does.

I grew up on a lever-action Marlin .22.... MANY 1000's of rounds through that thing!

I think that should be your "next"
grin.gif

Are you only interested in new rifles? For the price of a new Rem 572 I'd hunt up a really nice Remington 121. I have one that was my grandfathers and it's just a joy to shoot. Most older rifles have nice triggers.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
are we talking practical application or you just want that design ?

Just because I want a pump. I have a thing for different mechanical designs, particularly ones that are examples of fine workmanship. Thus the Browning BL-22 over a Henry .22 lever action. And the very unique T-Bolt.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The Field Master 572 and another classic I own and love but may be harder to find. The High Standard Sport King .22 pump.

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that you like your 572 so much. I haven't seen any of the High Standard pumps on any of the online sales sites.

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
I think the Henry AR7 is the coolest .22 ever.

It is a pretty cool design. Perhaps down the road, but right now I'm really leaning towards a pump.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I have a Rossi clone of the Model 62 Winchester Pump. It's all blued steel and Walnut, (no Aluminum). And it runs perfectly. They're no longer made, but they are not too hard to find on the used market. And they are a LOT cheaper than an original Model 62. The Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump is a beautiful rifle. It comes with the same type of sliding groove rear iron sights the Model 700 BDL does.

Thanks. I've never owned a Rossi. I'll have to watch for that.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I grew up on a lever-action Marlin .22.... MANY 1000's of rounds through that thing!

I think that should be your "next"
grin.gif

I do want to add a 39A to my collection. A few years ago a salesman at a local Sportsmans Warehouse showed me a 39A. I really did like the design, but I had just started looking for a lever action, so I passed on it. I haven't seen one since. If I had known that they were going out of production, I would have bought it first and picked up my BL-22 later.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Are you only interested in new rifles? For the price of a new Rem 572 I'd hunt up a really nice Remington 121. I have one that was my grandfathers and it's just a joy to shoot. Most older rifles have nice triggers.

I was leaning towards a new rifle, but that is beautiful! They are quite plentiful on GunBroker and GunsInternational. Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back