2011 Honda VTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, adventures in cars.. My wifes 2011 Accord 4 cyl 40,000 miles, car developed a cold start metal rattle last week lasting only about 1.5 seconds before disappearing, and only after the first startup or 6-8 hours of sitting. To Honda it went.. VTC is "faulty" and if your still in warranty Honda covers this.. 5 years 60,000 miles. We were slightly out of warranty by time.. I was obviously not happy. $850 repair. The very nice lady behind the counter did a bit a typing on her computer and gave me a $630 tag. Jobs done, car got picked up.. However we never got a notification, recall notice, nothing.. and this topic is all over the net. Seems pretty wrong to me. Im a Honda fan, owned 4 of them and a Acura, However im starting to think Toyota might be the next down the road..

Call Honda corporate and read off your post to them. If they won't cover 100% see if they will cover a lower percentage of the repair. Hopefully, it's been dealer serviced at least once a year or so. That seems to help the case. They helped me out in the past when I was outside of the warranty period.

Any car can have trouble, whether it be bad luck on a defective part or a common issue from bad design or quality. One bad experience does not mean they all suck. I've had positive experiences with all my American trucks, SUVs, and cars, then again most people say they suck, so it's not that simple.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
Any car can have trouble, whether it be bad luck on a defective part or a common issue from bad design or quality. One bad experience does not mean they all suck. I've had positive experiences with all my American trucks, SUVs, and cars, then again most people say they suck, so it's not that simple.

I agree, and overall ive had good luck with Honda, However this is not the first time ive delt with a defective part or a design flaw that I paid out of pocket for with newer auto's. Im still getting the very rare but occasional mailer about a defect or recall from Ford in regards to my 06 Mercury Milan. They are very good about keeping me informed of any little thing and that's a 12 year old car.. Im disappointed that Honda knows about this issue and no notification.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Call Honda corporate and read off your post to them. If they won't cover 100% see if they will cover a lower percentage of the repair. Hopefully, it's been dealer serviced at least once a year or so. That seems to help the case. They helped me out in the past when I was outside of the warranty period.

thanks, im going to try this.

Best of luck to you.
As far as recalls I imagine there is an actuary (numbers person) that figures out if it is worth a recall or just a repair notification. Stack on top of that there is a PR guy and executives to answer to.

For my hybrid, there is a part called the inverter that had common failure . About 9k to fix.about 3 years after online reports did they issue a recall. They also paid back those who paid out of pocket before the recall. Note the hybrids is a sensitive PR subject that maybe their main revenue stream in the future.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

thanks, im going to try this.

Sure thing and I remember another thread on here with the same issue that I was able to find:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub......#Post4254709

^ Kind of gives more reason to push for a refund esp if they want to keep a customer. Put your sales hat on and mention you'll probably buy a new car next year and was "planning" on buying another Honda but not so sure now.

Last edited:
It’s a TSB, not a recall. Honda doesn’t have to pay a penny if it’s out of warranty. I would try the customer service route or look to join a class action.

My ‘14 with a newer generation K24 than yours still had the issue starting around 50k miles. I traded it with 70k miles and didn’t fix it.

Owners who have had it replaced report that it will happen again.

The 8th gen Accord had VTC actuator problems from 2008-2013.
It was weird how Honda could not solve the problem.

Bad VTC actuator goes hand in hand with excessive oil consumption and and broken timing chain tensioner.
Stretched timing chain is a common problem too.

Honda ends up losing the original buyer and then the poor person who buys the resale.
Seems like a bad business decision to me.

I know I’ll never buy a Honda product again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back