Chevy vs GMC Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure why GM offers both nearly identical trucks....but they do.

I think I prefer Chevy though...how about you?

I've owned both, in the past, there was literally no differentiation besides the grille and logo on the steering wheel, now it seems they are trying to differentiate a little more with packages and options and stuff.

As far as why, both are strong sellers, so why not? I think generally GMC caters to buyers that are more fancy, while Chevy buyers are usually more regular people. But honestly there is a ton of overlap and it seems fleets and consumers buy both.

Not sure why... but I've had (and have) both Chevy and GMC. I've had much better luck with the ones built in Fort Wayne, Indiana... over the ones I've had built in Oshawa, ON. I prefer reliability over a GMC/Chevy basis.

Somewhat related... Is GM dropping a hint about its future in trucks, by offering the upcoming medium duty line as Chevy only?

I have nothing to back this statement up, however my father a Chevy employee for many years explained to me that at one point GMC was simply built to a higher standard, Better materials, etc.. (we are talking more than 20 years ago) I do remember the conversation well. The same question can be posed to a Chevy avalanche and the Cadillac escalade.. same truck, different grille, different trim package inside, However enough to justify the much higher price tag of the escalade ?? opinions will vary..

One word: Denali

They have the Chevy High Country brand, but it is not likely to ever have the brand identity of Denali, even if the content is the same or similar.

I chose the Canyon over the Colorado because I preferred the exterior design and interior of the GMC compared to the Chevy. I did not chose a Canyon Denali because it is not "Denali" enough for me to justify the additional cost without a unique/exclusive powertrain or magnetorheological dampers or any other significant functional upgrades.

GM has always been like that though right? Like back when they'd sell what was mechanically the same car under multiple brands like Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chevrolet.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
GM has always been like that though right? Like back when they'd sell what was mechanically the same car under multiple brands like Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chevrolet.

Or like Ford with Lincoln and Mercury and Chrysler with Plymouth and Dodge? Same mechanicals, different badging and minor interior appointments between Chevy and GMC. I do like the GMC grilles over the Chevy.

None of these started that way. GMC used to have their own power trains, ditto Chrysler vs say Plymouth and Lincoln shared very little with Ford. Now days they share too much
frown.gif

GMC is a somewhat upmarket version of the platform, and even back in the 70's although there seemed to be little difference beyond grills and badging, for example even the base model GMC had more sound insulation than the base Chevy. Little things like that.

As to what purpose, it was originally about dealer offerings; Chevy dealers sold Chevy trucks and Cadillac/Buick/Oldsmobile/Pontiac dealers could sell the GMC.

Chevy outsells GMC in the US and GMC outsells Chevy in Canada.

The 2019 Chevy trucks are ugly.

The 2019 GMC is more livable.

Neither truck is fantastic looking IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
GMC is a somewhat upmarket version of the platform, and even back in the 70's although there seemed to be little difference beyond grills and badging, for example even the base model GMC had more sound insulation than the base Chevy. Little things like that.

As to what purpose, it was originally about dealer offerings; Chevy dealers sold Chevy trucks and Cadillac/Buick/Oldsmobile/Pontiac dealers could sell the GMC.

Chevy outsells GMC in the US and GMC outsells Chevy in Canada.

^This

This is ancient history, but I once owned a 1989 GMC S-15 Jimmy. Other than grill and badging, it was identical to the Chevy S-10 Blazer. The GMC did come with the first oil change "free" but that was built into the base price of a GMC being $50 more than the Chevy.

My personal preference has always been for GMC grills over the Chevy grills.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I'm not sure why GM offers both nearly identical trucks....but they do.

I think I prefer Chevy though...how about you?

I saw a picture some years ago of a new truck with GMC badges on one side and Chevy on the other at a dealer. I would say that answers the question.
Its only about the demographics each brand caters to and the size of their wallet nothing more, the advertising that one is "professional" grade making the other shade tree grade by default is horse manure.

Its just a way to make Mr white middle class no nothing about trucks believe he is driving something as tough as the contractor that just put up the addition on his house.
No its not racist on my part I read that some time ago, they actually target lower middle class whites, blacks and hispanics differently. What they are doing could by some be considered racist.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
None of these started that way. GMC used to have their own power trains, ditto Chrysler vs say Plymouth and Lincoln shared very little with Ford. Now days they share too much
frown.gif

I understood Chrysler/Dodge/DeSoto/Plymouth and Ford/Edsel/Mercury/Lincoln used Mopar and Ford engines respectively, naturally the larger more powerful engines went into upscale models, and the cheaper cars had the smaller engines, but with quite a bit of overlap between them.
The GM brands were large enough to have their own individual engines (and transmissions to some extent). Although they were mostly very similar in design, size, and power output.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
... my father (a Chevy employee for many years) explained to me that at one point GMC was simply built to a higher standard, Better materials, etc..

Maybe not the drivetrain, per se...
but the interior was MOST definitely better quality on GMC over Chevy for many years.
There used to be a time when options like carpet, 8-track players and power windows were available in GMC, but not Chevy.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
frown.gif

Yeah, that ended in the 60's

Same thing to me. I dont see either one as more prestigious over another. I think it boils down to market perception.

Although performance is equal i dont really see something like a cadillac ATS-V on par with A Mercedes Benz C43 or C63 AMG. I see the AMG as higher quality and the cadillac the performance bargain. Were I to buy one of those I would choose the AMG for that reason.

As far a pickup trucks I see them all as equal in quality from the big 3. The Nissan And Toyota trucks really dont compete from a sales and Innovation standpoint.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Way back when, each car division had its own engine designs, and so did GMC, with its exclusive V6, long before GM cars had V6s. Ads for that engine used to brag about its water pump's output, strangely.

I recall my father explaining the GMC badge to me, vs pronounceable brand names on every other vehicle, before I could read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back