PP EURO Folklore

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my cousins stopped by last night to bring me supper. I had a setback with my leg this past Thursday and am limited to what I can/can't do. He saw the Castrol 0W40 on my table and asked what I was going to use that in. I told him my trucks engine. He stated, "Don't you know you will blow your engine up if you don't use what was spec'd for it?" This is the same cousin that will ONLY use FRAM oil filters because he said that JOHN FORCE and DON GARLITS use them. He told me that a guy he knew owned a 94 GMC with the 5.3 engine. He stated that he used a 5W20 oil in it. He said it was too thin and made the bearings burn up to cause the engine to explode. I said, "WTH are you talking about!" He kept on and on about how I better drain the PP EURO from my engine , or else. I just didn't have it in me to argue with him.
Does anyone else have a similar family member, friend, etc. with the same mindset?
crazy2.gif

I'm going to skip the backwoods family drama and ask why are you using a 0W40 in something that specs a 5W20?

If i didnt live in kansas I would have brought you something to eat. Next time he comes over tell him you have Spanish Flu and leave on the porch. Anytime I get around anyone who is into Top Fuel or going in a straight line fast i know its my time to bailout.Good luck and get well.

I use PPE 0w40 in my 06 Odyssey spec’d for 5w20 because of the hefty TBN, multiple certifications, and increased film strength in an engine known to be pretty tough on oil. Universal averages on the J35A7 @6.5k shown nearly all TBN gone and iron >25ppm. PPE still had a TBN of 4.7 and only 8ppm iron at 13.5k for me. That’s why I use 0w40.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
If i didnt live in kansas I would have brought you something to eat. Next time he comes over tell him you have Spanish Flu and leave on the porch. Anytime I get around anyone who is into Top Fuel or going in a straight line fast i know its my time to bailout.Good luck and get well.

That's funny!
This guy only uses M1 oil in his 2015 Silverado. And, if I'm not mistaken, it's an 8.5 qt. sump, correct? He changes the oil and filter every 4-5K miles! Heck, I could probably strain it and get another 5K miles from it!
He grew up here in the country. He was raised not to trust ANYONE from the city! Man, you should see/hear some of his other beliefs! It simply boggles the mind!
21.gif

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
I use PPE 0w40 in my 06 Odyssey spec’d for 5w20 because of the hefty TBN, multiple certifications, and increased film strength in an engine known to be pretty tough on oil. Universal averages on the J35A7 @6.5k shown nearly all TBN gone and iron >25ppm. PPE still had a TBN of 4.7 and only 8ppm iron at 13.5k for me. That’s why I use 0w40.

I use it for several reasons;
It was low priced, it makes my engine run quiet, it's synthetic.......and some other reasons I can't think of right now.

Originally Posted By: car51
BlueOvalFitter: its just made up folklore. My dad is like that also so.i just ignore his oil recommendations
smile.gif

car51, I think it's hilarious.
This oil has made my engine run the quietest it's ever run. Someone up there ^^^ asked why I am using it. Well, it makes my engine run quiet, it was cheap, and I can.
car51, have you seen the Castrol or the PP on clearance at your local WM's? There is a WM in the big city (58 miles from me) selling the PP EURO 0W40 for $9 a 5 qt. container!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo

I use it for several reasons:

It was low priced, it makes my engine run quiet, it's synthetic.......and some other reasons I can't think of right now.

The only one that matters "is cause it's my rig and I want to". Everything else is argument fodder.

I'm with you and I'd do it too, IF I had any on hand
whistle.gif

Instead, I just put some Mobil1 10W-40 HM in my F-150 4x4 cause that's what I had on hand
smile.gif

Last edited:
B.O.F. asked, "Does anyone else have a similar family member, friend, etc. with the same mindset?"

Does the following count?

My engine specs 5-30 & 10-30 oils conditionally.
Friend warned against "short changing" my engine by using 0W-40.
He OKed my bump to 40 but claimed the 5 equated to "needs".

I didn't the immediate vocabulary. Perhaps, "The 0 is more a name than math value", would've sufficed.

Honestly in an engine specd for 5w-20, given mild temps throughout most of U.. I would throw some 0w-20 at it and enjoy the FE and smoke a cigar in utter bliss. And remember, bliss is no liver bile or chopped liver!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
Honestly in an engine specd for 5w-20, given mild temps throughout most of U.. I would throw some 0w-20 at it and enjoy the FE and smoke a cigar in utter bliss. And remember, bliss is no liver bile or chopped liver!

I like your thinking Sir!
thumbsup2.gif

The official what ever licensed product of NASCAR is what floats the boat. Marketing works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back