Grease recommendations for RC car differentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAP

I've got several 1/8 scale RCs that need their metal gear differentials cleaned and relubricated. Unfortunately the grease I would like to use is over $10 for less than an ounce of it. Many RC lubricants are relabeled products from the bike and automobile space so hoping I can find something comparable at a lower price. Each differential consists of (2) sun gears and (4) satellite gears in a cross formation.

Some basic requirements for the grease:
Needs to be sticky to resist fling off. Mobil-1 grease flings right off so need something much stickier.
Needs to be thicker than Mobil 1. A thicker/more vicious grease will reduce the differential action which is desirable in my application.
O-ring safe. There are rubber o-rings sealing the diff cases so the grease has to be o-ring safe.

Any suggestions on a grease that might fit this application would be greatly appreciated.

Todd

Valvoline SynPower grease in the black tube is what I'd use. Moly-fortified and my 5 year old tube hasn't separated at all. It's plenty thick to boot. Unless you get it pretty hot I don't think you'll have issues with it.

I have that grease and I like it alot but it's not thick enough for the center differential on my truck. I need something that is a bit more vicious to reduce the diff action and keep the power from unloading to the front wheels. Admittedly I haven't tested it in a diff, but doing the finger test it doesn't appear to be heavy enough. The finger test could be a poor way to determine if its the correct oil.

Lucas red and tacky.

Sticks really good but seperates in the gun. Put it in a tub or just buy a tub if it.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Lucas red and tacky.

Sticks really good but seperates in the gun. Put it in a tub or just buy a tub if it.

I've heard others recommend that grease in the rc forums. Any idea if it's o-ring safe?

When I raced, we would fill the diff with a heavy silicone fluid, this was done to prevent the unloading of the inside wheels when going around a turn, think of it as a easily adjustable torson differential.

Originally Posted By: Planb
When I raced, we would fill the diff with a heavy silicone fluid, this was done to prevent the unloading of the inside wheels when going around a turn, think of it as a easily adjustable torson differential.

Yep I use diff fluid in my other vehicle. This particular vehicle doesn't have a sealed diff which is why it requires a grease.

Sure there's many lubricants you can choose from, but I'd be more concerned with it's compatibility with the materials in your RC vehicles.

When I had an RC car, it was the electric type that had vinyl gears. IIRC, the lubricant it used was a water-based grease.
21.gif

You might try an open gear grease like Pyroshield syn, but I’d also go for the Lucas Red and Tacky. I’m not sure any grease will provide meaningful limited slip action for very long. Maybe switch to a ball diff if available?

The open gear grease is something I just learned about today. Going to look into that brand you mentioned.

Ball diff isn't an option with this truck.

I might would try some John Deere corn head grease. I would worry about a grease not acting like a fluid, and the gears just spinning freely while the grease stayed put. I can't remember if any of my 1/8 scales have a center diff, I know I have one for a buggy in a box somewhere.

Cavitation would be what I was trying to describe above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back