Anyone replaced a pop-up drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previously I mentioned that I was looking to fix a brass P-trap in the bathroom sink. It was still leaking after I replaced all the washers and even after I got a brass nut to replace what seemed like a weak zinc nut. I wanted to replace it anyways but that apparently wasn't the source of the leak.

So I traced it to the pop-up drain tube. It's kind of old and probably needed replacement a while ago. There's basically no plumber's putty left between the lip/sink. Also it looks like it's been repaired before. There was a 1-1/4" 17 gauge brass tube (looks newer than the rest of the drain assembly) in there that was inserted into drain tube and held in place with some sort of sealant that was breaking down. After I pulled it out I couldn't get it back in.

So I'm trying to remove it and it's a huge pain. I don't have any tongue and groove (i.e. Channel-Lock) pliers which would help releasing the nut. My dad might have one I can borrow. I'm using a pipe wrench, which is kind of awkward since it's heavy and a bit long. I won't be able to slip it all the way off because there's the place where the pop-up ball/rod goes in and is held in with a screw cap. And I'm jamming a screwdriver in the ball/rod hole to get leverage and that's damaged beyond repair. But the hard part seems to be that the lip is held on with some screwed-in mechanism and it's got gunk and corrosion. So far I haven't gotten it loose/high enough that I can maybe use pliers on it. It does seem to have some sort of fluted edges where I might be able to use pliers or a wrench.

The assembly is similar to this.

https://www.danco.com/product/brass-pop-up-assembly-in-chrome/

86780-510x510.jpg

I'm thinking of replacing it with something that doesn't require a rod. But right now my problem is getting the original one off.

My wife is kind of angry at me now since we can't use the sink. I think I can replace it once I can figure out how to remove it. Any suggestions for what to replace it with? I'm thinking maybe a different kind of pop-up drain or maybe one of those ones with a stopper that twists.

How big of a deal would it be to undo the supplies at the shut offs and lift out the sink? That is what I need to do. I just cant get a good working stance to work under the sink and I have a wedge fit between the shower partition and the outside wall. The vanity and faux marble sink top are 25 yrs and getting shabby.So the whole shebang needs to be replaced. But I digress, The shiny chrome plated, paper thin, brass tube is a wear item. About a 10 yr change interval. PVC is a better application

You have to get that nut loose. They make a special wrench that makes it easy, like a crowsfoot with a long extension. Channelocks should work fine. Once that nut is loose you turn the whole pipe which is threaded into the fitting that is in the sink, where your stopper goes. The nut does not have to come all of the ways off. Get it off and go to Home depot or something a get new. Not very expensive for all new setup.

Originally Posted By: andyd
How big of a deal would it be to undo the supplies at the shut offs and lift out the sink? That is what I need to do. I just cant get a good working stance to work under the sink and I have a wedge fit between the shower partition and the outside wall. The vanity and faux marble sink top are 25 yrs and getting shabby.So the whole shebang needs to be replaced. But I digress, The shiny chrome plated, paper thin, brass tube is a wear item. About a 10 yr change interval. PVC is a better application

It's a complete vanity that's attached to the wall. It was built with a tile top and the sink is caulked/glued in. This thing is definitely not coming out unless I'm willing to replace the entire vanity. It would be easy if I could just screw off the lip, but it's brass on brass, there's buildup (gunk and light corrosion) on the threads, and I can't get any leverage on it since I can't pull it out.

I finally got the nut off a bit more using a pipe wrench. I was trying to cut off the gasket but could only get part of the way through. I figured if I could pull it off I could push the assembly further up and get room to try and get a tool or my fingers in there. However, it was easy enough to unscrew the lip when it was high enough. I've finally got it off and I think I know how to get a new one on.

Oh - that piece of pipe actually broke off. When I pulled it out it didn't slide out like I thought. It was already cracked (which is why it was leaking) and just broke off when I thought I was sliding it out. When I had the whole assembly off I could tell that the edges matched. So that was an integral part of the drain assembly and I basically had to replace the whole thing anyways.

I'm not exactly sure how old it is other than it's pretty old. The brand name on the brass tube is "Stanadyne" which I understand is a company that was broken up a long time ago and sold its plumbing business, which included the Moen brand. It's got to be at least 30 years old, if not older.

I've done them, having the proper wrench is a big help. With it the job is pretty straight forward.

I use to go through them about every ten years due I think to the soft water. I ended up just using a rubber plug.

Get yourself a pair of Channelocks. It makes the job easier, plus there are many household uses for that plier.
I had to replace one last week. Took me 15 min. with a pair of Channelocks. The only problem with the set up pictured is that it took another 15-20 minutes to adjust the pull-up rod to the drain plug, so that the sink would drain while open.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Get yourself a pair of Channelocks. It makes the job easier, plus there are many household uses for that plier.
I had to replace one last week. Took me 15 min. with a pair of Channelocks. The only problem with the set up pictured is that it took another 15-20 minutes to adjust the pull-up rod to the drain plug, so that the sink would drain while open.

My wife wants a replacement like the old one. Home Depot doesn’t have the Danco one in stock - in store or online. Amazon has it for $16, but I’m not waiting. I’ll check out local hardware stores and HD to see what they have.

And after it was out I got a chance to clean out the overflow. There were a couple of things my kid had shoved into the overflow, which has a pretty wide slot opening. One was a flexible plastic business card from a local library. I vaguely remember my wife mentioned that our kid was shoving things in there a few years ago. There was also a thick layer of sludge build up. I guess that’s what happens when it’s moist but there isn’t direct water flow to wash it away.

So far I’ve scraped a bit of skin, bruised my arm, and cut my fingers with the slightly jagged (from corrosion) edge of the drain lip. I don’t know if it’s worth it, but it still beats paying a professional $200 to do it.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I use to go through them about every ten years due I think to the soft water. I ended up just using a rubber plug.

^^ this.
pop up's, at some point, screw up/leak.just remove the rod (with the white ball), pull out the stopper, and replace the rod.the rubber plug is the best way to go.
you say that the wife wants the same replacement.then get her to help you do the job, and maybe she will break a nail. that will be the end of pop up stoppers.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: Tdbo

My wife wants a replacement like the old one. Home Depot doesn’t have the Danco one in stock - in store or online. Amazon has it for $16, but I’m not waiting. I’ll check out local hardware stores and HD to see what they have.

And after it was out I got a chance to clean out the overflow. There were a couple of things my kid had shoved into the overflow, which has a pretty wide slot opening. One was a flexible plastic business card from a local library. I vaguely remember my wife mentioned that our kid was shoving things in there a few years ago. There was also a thick layer of sludge build up. I guess that’s what happens when it’s moist but there isn’t direct water flow to wash it away.

So far I’ve scraped a bit of skin, bruised my arm, and cut my fingers with the slightly jagged (from corrosion) edge of the drain lip. I don’t know if it’s worth it, but it still beats paying a professional $200 to do it.

It is really a straightforward job. The tough part is getting the plug adjusted with the pull rod.
I have done several over the years. I generally spend the 4 or 5 bucks, buy one of the PVC kits and replace the rest while I am spending the time reassembling the drain. Then I am good for quite a while.
Something that I found out a long time ago: get yourself a good set of basic tools. Not only will they make the job easier and more pleasurable, they will more than pay for themselves over the years. Best of luck with the job.

Originally Posted By: yeti
Originally Posted By: SHOZ

^^ this.
pop up's, at some point, screw up/leak.just remove the rod (with the white ball), pull out the stopper, and replace the rod.the rubber plug is the best way to go.
you say that the wife wants the same replacement.then get her to help you do the job, and maybe she will break a nail. that will be the end of pop up stoppers.

In my case it was already cracked where the chromed brass tube was coming out of the the threaded part of the drain assembly. I believe it's brazed in there but part of the tube was still in there after the bulk of the tube broke off.

I'm thinking of getting this, although I'll have to wait for it.

chrome-moen-drains-drain-assemblies-14526-64_1000.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Lavatory-Drain-Assembly-in-Chrome-14526/202998755

It wouldn't require any tools to assemble/remove and I guess I wouldn't need to worry about corrosion with polypropylene. The lip and seal is still chromed brass I think, but the stopper is plastic. I'll need to find something cheap right now until it comes in.

For a little bit more I see this (in-stock and in-store) at Walmart:

3ba920e8-6e00-44ea-851b-a614215c9e95_1.bf5277821fb0edebdab6137954a6fa97.jpeg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Peerless-Bathroom-Sink-Pop-Up-Drain-Assembly-Chrome/17043434

I don't think any of these technically need any plumber's putty. If it leaks past the flange it will just end up there in the overflow, which then drains anyways.

Sometimes a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel is the best way to go.

Done it many times.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
Sometimes a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel is the best way to go.

Done it many times.

It would remind me too much of being in a dentist's office.

But yeah I was thinking of maybe borrowing a hacksaw. There was no way to cut it off with a pipe cutter though.

Ignore your wife and get a pop-up drain plug that you just push on / push off (aka "push-to-close drain plug"). No rods, linkages, no fuss, and 10x easier to remove / reinstall if it ever needs servicing.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Ignore your wife and get a pop-up drain plug that you just push on / push off (aka "push-to-close drain plug"). No rods, linkages, no fuss, and 10x easier to remove / reinstall if it ever needs servicing.

I ended up getting the Peerless branded one at WM. Installation wasn't too bad. I didn't use any plumber's putty since it will just drain down into the overflow anyways. That one uses a plastic nut that can be hand-tightened. I had to turn it a little bit from straight so that the rod assembly didn't bump into the trap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back