Official Ford video of their oil filter test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting video. I have used Motorcraft filters on a few occasions when they happen to be the cheapest. I suppose that they are as good as any. I have over the years used Fram, STP, Napa, ACDelco , Wix, purolator. Never had a filter fail including Motorcraft. Purolator makes many private label filters and used to make filters for motorcraft. Not sure if Purolator still does or not though. I would not hesitate to us anything Motorcraft, usually pretty good products and reasonably priced as long as you don't go to the Ford stealerships.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Never had a filter fail including Motorcraft.

The only way to see all failures is to cut each one open and see if ADV is in good shape and that there are no tears in the filter media.

I figure as long as my vehicles still run well there is no failure at the filter and I have had several vehicles that went well past the 300K mark. I have zero interest in cutting a filter open.

"...gotta be 95% at removing 30 micron particles" (paraphrasing here)

What became of the "sacred" 20 micron benchmark?

I do like their bypass circuit which avoids the media's dirty exterior.

Counting micron particles is likely well beyond the capability of my bi-focals. Bottom line is, I have used many different filter based on price and availability and all have worked fine and have never lost an engine to oil or filter failure yet.

Originally Posted By: Kira

I do like their bypass circuit which avoids the media's dirty exterior.

That did look pretty neat.

I have over the years used Fram, STP, Napa, ACDelco , Wix, purolator. Never had a filter fail including Motorcraft.

I figure as long as my vehicles still run well there is no failure at the filter and I have had several vehicles that went well past the 300K mark. I have zero interest in cutting a filter open.

Well neither do I, but you can't tell if the media has torn or had other internal failures unless you do. You really can't say you've never had one fail unless you cut it open.

I have had one Fram TG and one Bosch Purolator that were defective enough to be a fail. Blind eye and smile is a way I guess. I don't think I need to cut anymore Toyota filters though. The Ultra and a few others like the Boss also, probably no need to cut, rare to see a defect rising to failure on those. An outward visual should uncover likely defects. As far as my observations, the Toyota DENSO is the best on QC.

(Well neither do I, but you can't tell if the media has torn or had other internal failures unless you do. You really can't say you've never had one fail unless you cut it open.) [/quote]

OK, I certainly will lose no sleep wondering if the filter media is torn. Come OC time which is about 5k for me I take the old filter off and toss it and put on new one. Perhaps one day I might decide to cut one open, but since I find oil changes to be messy enough as it is, I doubt it.

It stinks that Motorcraft is still sourcing there oil filters from ”Tear-O-Lator”

I’m installing a dual XG-8A filter mount.
I should never have any tears as long as I live,
Probably only change my filters every 40,000 miles, also

Interesting video. I have used Motorcraft filters on a few occasions when they happen to be the cheapest. I suppose that they are as good as any. I have over the years used Fram, STP, Napa, ACDelco , Wix, purolator. Never had a filter fail including Motorcraft. Purolator makes many private label filters and used to make filters for motorcraft. Not sure if Purolator still does or not though. I would not hesitate to us anything Motorcraft, usually pretty good products and reasonably priced as long as you don't go to the Ford stealerships.

They are probably good but Ford may specify more stringent quality control for their brand. I know Ford branded brakes MUST pass certain federal safety tests. Aftermarket, not so much, but it don't mean their testing is as good.

Last edited:
At 5:15 they're wrong. They say "Motorcraft oil filters have a silicone ADBV". The Motorcraft oil filter for my 300ZX has a black nitrile rubber ADBV.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I have over the years used Fram, STP, Napa, ACDelco , Wix, purolator. Never had a filter fail including Motorcraft.

Well neither do I, but you can't tell if the media has torn or had other internal failures unless you do. You really can't say you've never had one fail unless you cut it open.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
(Well neither do I, but you can't tell if the media has torn or had other internal failures unless you do. You really can't say you've never had one fail unless you cut it open.)

OK, I certainly will lose no sleep wondering if the filter media is torn. Come OC time which is about 5k for me I take the old filter off and toss it and put on new one. Perhaps one day I might decide to cut one open, but since I find oil changes to be messy enough as it is, I doubt it.

kschachn is correct, you can not tell if the media has torn unless you cut it open.

Motorcraft filters used to be my favorite filter. I saw one too many C&Ps of MC oil filters with torn media here on BITOG. I convinced myself that if I wanted to know the answer for my circumstances, I would have to start opening the filters for inspection. The very first filter I cut open had tears on the dome and base plate ends on the wide pleat space near the seam. All this in a moderate climate.

I am not trusting this is fixed just because Ford has adopted USCAR-36.

“Trust but verify” - Ronald Reagan

Originally Posted By: Kira
"...gotta be 95% at removing 30 micron particles" (paraphrasing here)

What became of the "sacred" 20 micron benchmark?

That's just the USCAR-36 minimum efficiency spec. They could have defined it at 20 microns, which would have probably come out around 60%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back