Railroad job

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://csx.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=044765&tz=GMT-06:00&src=JB-10141

Something to think about, no I never worked for a railroad, but I did drive railroad folks back and forth to their departure points when needed...they do make goooood money,,u can check it out,,

There are many jobs there,,

Last edited:
To my knowledge, Union Pacific hiring is static. The railroad has many train crews furloughed and hundreds of engines parked on sidings in the desert and other locations. UPRR is still making a profit but share prices are down. The decline in the use of coal for power generation has reduced rail traffic through our city on the main line quite a bit. Agriculture is also in a swoon so shipments o corn and soybeans in also down. Those considering employment with the railroad should also keep in mind that union contracts will affect almost every aspect of their employment. But the $$ and benefits are good as pointed out.

Last edited:
yep,, some are retiring on 6k a month, not unusual. From management to track laying, car repair,wish I had done it in 1970, just got home from the Navy, was tired, ticked and a buddy said he would get me on at the
RR so I said no thanks,,,bad mistake.....always go check something out first, never rely on your own thoughts,,imho

It's good that BITOG members post jobs that other folks on here might be interested in applying for.

I've also posted jobs on here when there's been openings in the area that I work.

Southern Railroad always post track maintenance jobs each summer,,usually track replacement is a big job..

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
To my knowledge, Union Pacific hiring is static. The railroad has many train crews furloughed and hundreds of engines parked on sidings in the desert and other locations. UPRR is still making a profit but share prices are down. The decline in the use of coal for power generation has reduced rail traffic through our city on the main line quite a bit. Agriculture is also in a swoon so shipments o corn and soybeans in also down. Those considering employment with the railroad should also keep in mind that union contracts will affect almost every aspect of their employment. But the $$ and benefits are good as pointed out.

Send some locomotives and some of those oil cars up here. We need them for shipping oil to the States.

Yeah my neighbor was a lineman and made 80K. Was working on getting me hired and he died so i kinda got cold feet. He was like my dad so it was too hard to imagine without him.Made 25.00hr now,he would be proud.

I almost decided to be a conductor for a major railroad after I retired from the Air Force, but I opted to go civil service instead because of the travel involved with the RR. I think I made the right choice...

That conductor job is not easy, lots of walking from one end of the train and back to the engine, you have to check each coupling twice, so if the train is a mile long, u have to walk 2 miles in all kinds of weather,,,been there as an assistant driving them to the trains,,,but you can promote out of it and become an engineer,,,but it is good money,,

Freight train conductors do not punch tickets,lol... it's a whole different definition than the old days of a ticket puncher,,watched too many old cowboy train movies...lol

My fiancee's son works for the railroad. He is 22 years old and has worked for them for about 2 years. He makes a boatload of money and has it made. He does have to travel a lot and has been laid off a few times but he is doing pretty good for himself at his age.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Grampi,

Just wondering what Air Force career field were you in ?

Started out as 316, which was changed to 411, which was changed to 466, which was changed to 2M0. The first 3 were SRAM and ACLM missiles, the last one was for Minute Man III and Peace Keeper missiles. I worked on the electronics...I retrained as a C5 flight engineer for 3 years, but went back to missiles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back