Polar Bear Crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Polar Bear Crossing takes place around the Spring equinox, and involves running or cycling across Lake Winnipeg, from Gimli to Grand Marais. Point-to-point is about 29 km; with detours for fissures in the ice, it's more like 33 km.

A few shots from 2016:

And 2017:

The 1st photo was taken at the start, regardless of the banner saying 'FINISH'.

Really the finish!

My trusty Pugsley. I had a full set of bike tools, but only stopped to add air after the sun came out and softened the glare ice. (Started out @ perhaps 5 PSI for improved traction before the ice softened up.)

Originally Posted By: Donald
Where are the bears?
Feasting on the stragglers.
smile.gif

In truth, the only ones this far south are in the zoo.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Nice! Don't think I'd want to run it, but biking would be a lot of fun!
Jr ran it a few years ago. If I hadn't broken my leg, we'd be cycling it together this year. 25 years ago I'd have been running it, but as they say 'Dat was den, and dis is now'.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Thinking the same thing.....can't outrun a bear.
They say Polar Bears will ALWAYS attack you because they're always hungry.
Zat true?
There are polar bear tours in Churchill, way north on Hudson Bay. People treat them with great respect - apparently they are quick to attack humans.

Where are the bears?

About 800 miles north of the race where the most southernmost Polar Bears can be found; for most of Canada about 2,000+ miles north.

Originally Posted By: DangerousDan
What an absolute hoot.
It's open - I'm taking a miss this year due to my broken lag, but c'mon up next March and give it a go. Do you have a fat bike?

Quote:
Do you have a fat bike?

The correct answer is "not yet". I did look at the entry and saw that a fatbike is required, which makes sense from a trail damage point of view. I ride on my regular hardtail with 27.5X2.35 Ice Spikers in the winter. It can be pretty tricky if the snow is very deep.

I rode in the Bbbrrr down here in tropical Fargo and there were a couple sections with a foot of loose snow. All us skinny tire folks were having a lot of trouble. If I can find a Fatskey XL at a reasonable price I may just have one. If not, maybe a Pugsley.

My wife and I love to visit Winnipeg, but mostly when there is no snow on the ground. Love to ride the tandem from downtown out to Assinibione Park and beyond. One time stayed out by Birds Hill Park and spent a day on skis. Great places to while away the day. So, thanks! I may be there next year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DangerousDan
Quote:
Do you have a fat bike?

The correct answer is "not yet". I did look at the entry and saw that a fatbike is required, which makes sense from a trail damage point of view. I ride on my regular hardtail with 27.5X2.35 Ice Spikers in the winter. It can be pretty tricky if the snow is very deep.

I rode in the Bbbrrr down here in tropical Fargo and there were a couple sections with a foot of loose snow. All us skinny tire folks were having a lot of trouble. If I can find a Fatskey XL at a reasonable price I may just have one. If not, maybe a Pugsley.

My wife and I love to visit Winnipeg, but mostly when there is no snow on the ground. Love to ride the tandem from downtown out to Assinibione Park and beyond. One time stayed out by Birds Hill Park and spent a day on skis. Great places to while away the day. So, thanks! I may be there next year.
Dan, look me up when you're next up here - I can show you some good urban trails.

Where are the bears?

Polar Bears are white, they blend right in with the snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back