Thinning Down Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most common grease has an NLGI viscosity of 2. I haven't been able to find any NLGI 00 grease, so this afternoon I was trying to thin down some NLGI 2 grease with Walmart SAE 30 oil. I was absolutely amazed by how much oil it takes to thin down grease. You almost have to mix it 50/50 to get it freed up. I'm trying to make NLGI 00 grease when I actually have never seen NLGI 00 grease. All I've heard is that it's closer to an apple sauce consistency.

I'm no professor in this topic, but wouldn't an EP gear lube be more appropriate for this endeavor.

Good question. The application is the bevel gears inside a 4.5 inch right angle grinder. Gear oil would be ideal, but the gear case is not completely sealed like a gearbox is in a car. Spinning at 11,000 RPM, the gears are going to throw the gear oil out.

I believe Dyusik was referring to using EP gear oil as the diluent instead of SAE 30 engine oil. An engine oil like that will offer little to no extreme pressure protection. Bevel gears usually take some high loads, though I'm not familiar with the forces on the parts of an angle grinder, so maybe I'm mistaken.

If you have a Snapper OPE dealer near you, they all have "00" grease for the Snapper equipment. They may sell you a small amount if you bring your own container. I always stocked it in quart bottles.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Good question. The application is the bevel gears inside a 4.5 inch right angle grinder. Gear oil would be ideal, but the gear case is not completely sealed like a gearbox is in a car. Spinning at 11,000 RPM, the gears are going to throw the gear oil out.

I have always just added a tablespoon of STP.

yes, it weeps at the seam a little.... but nothing to really complain about.

It will NOT "Fly off" the gears!!

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
I believe Dyusik was referring to using EP gear oil as the diluent instead of SAE 30 engine oil. An engine oil like that will offer little to no extreme pressure protection. Bevel gears usually take some high loads, though I'm not familiar with the forces on the parts of an angle grinder, so maybe I'm mistaken.

There's never more than just a minuscule dab of grease from the factory.

They need a good tacky lube, Like the STP I put in there.

I've tried all kinds of different greases inside the grinder. Every time I flip the switch to ON the gear housing would immediately get super hot. So last night just for giggles, I removed all the grease from the gear case. Now it runs cool as a cucumber.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
I've tried all kinds of different greases inside the grinder. Every time I flip the switch to ON the gear housing would immediately get super hot. So last night just for giggles, I removed all the grease from the gear case. Now it runs cool as a cucumber.
smile.gif

No thermal transfer happening?

I always add a little extra lube to the angle grinder gear case,
I have never had one "get hot" as a result.

NLGI #00 grease is available from most of the oil and grease suppliers. Check with dealers that sell in farm and industrial equipment as I know that many gear cases in farm equipment use a 00 grease. Trying to thin a #2 grease with engine oil most likely won't work out well. I would think that WW Grainger would have a #00 grease as they do sell Mobil lubricants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back