Thinking of weaning off the Amsoil teat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been running Amsoil SS 0-20 and filter on my Yaris since 1500miles. First OC at 1500, next at 7500, then at 15k and ever since then 15k intervals. I am almost at my 140k for my next OC and thinking of switching to stuff I can get at a Walmart.

I am thinking of Pennzoil UP (not because of the banner up top) and the Fram UG. I figure maybe at 10k due a UOA just to see how things look and then extend from there. I did 15k on the Yaris because it was easy to add up. Blackstone had recomended going to 18k on my Amsoil but its a weird number to remember my intervals.

I used to drive 110 miles day 6 days a week. Now I do alot more local driving now (typically 20-30miles) with occasional 100 mile jaunts to my side job.

Im not opposed to either. I will take that into consideration. Id prefer to buy USA when availible

Probably if driving conditions were right. A good air cleaner is first priority. I use a injen nano filter wrapped in 2 layer pantyhose and a AEM prefilter

Pennzoil is American. Based in Houston Texas and hires American workers. Same as Toyota. So even if its truly not"American" it still gives employment for Americans.

Last edited by a moderator:
lots of miles but longer trips are easy on any oil. with many fake synthetics @ about $5 a qt that should work for you. i like mobil I extended performance said to have some PAO in it.

I drive about 21 miles each way to work about 22 days a month and a 200-mile round trip twice a month. My last UOA on PUP [email protected] showed just a little thickening (10.1@100C) but TBN was still 2.9, with zero makeup oil. I’d go 15k and not even UOA it. I’m so happy with PUP in my application, I’ve got another 150k worth of it sitting on the shelf
smile.gif

Add: I have run FU, MicroGreen, Amsoil, and Napa Platinum filters. No statistically significant change in UOAs over the past 100k, all on Pennzoil synthetics. Iron is at 1ppm/1k miles over the past 100k. Thats pretty solid in my book!

As an old time user of Amsoil products I feel their advantage is long gone now. There was a time when they had a clear edge over the regular oils you could buy. Now they do not.

There are other oils as good as Amsoil at Walmart. Forget the Blackstone comments on your UOA. NAPA UOA kits are better and less $$. (I still buy Amsoil ATF and gear oils, so not a Amsoil basher).

I recently did this. It’s not that I don’t think Amsoil isn’t a great, if not the “best” oil, it’s just that the edge isn’t what it used to be and certainly no longer justifies the price premium.

Depends how you use the car and where you live. For me Amsoil is better then anyting i have used in the past but i live near artic cirkle. Before when i used other brand i did have problems with the crank case ventilation but with Amsoil noting! So i did stay with Amsoil.
And amsoil is cheap for a pao oil.
Amsoil Motul and Redline are outstanding oils.

Nothing wrong with Amsoil but, there are plenty of oils a lot less at WMT that will serve you well. Shop smart and take advantage of rebates, and the savings can really mount.

50 bucks a gallon, 17.00 filter? Can you get a discount on that anyhow? I’d normally say stick with what is working, but that is pretty strong. It looks like only the 15K filter is listed but If they aren’t overly loaded up then 20K shouldn’t be an issue for the filter.

What I would do, (if you care) is either extend the Amsoil to 20K and test to make sure It was OK with the newer usage cycle or drop back to something like Mobil 1EP (buy it when it is on roll back to the same price as vanilla M1) at 10K with a Fram Ultra at 20K.

Welcome Finland. How much snow have you had on the ground there this winter, at any one time?
Last early week, the North Pole saw 35F, about 50 degrees above normal for that date.

Originally Posted By: Donald
There are other oils as good as Amsoil at Walmart. Forget the Blackstone comments on your UOA. NAPA UOA kits are better and less $$. (I still buy Amsoil ATF and gear oils, so not a Amsoil basher).

Well its been over a month now since I sent my NAPA kit in nothing yet. I'm beginning to think its lost in the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back