Noise After Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not my car but my friend's 2012 Dodge Avenger with 80k miles. He took it to Take 5 Oil Change and now there's a noise when ever he accelerates in it. He had a coupon for 50% off and bought their best oil change service with a full synthetic oil.

I thought maybe I would check the air filter housing and filter to make sure that's all tight. Check oil level. Take it for a test drive. Prob NOT take it back there since if they can't get a simple oil change right then why take it back. The oil change is done in minutes apparently hence the name. The location used to be Lube Stop I believe.

I remember going there prob 10 yrs ago or so, same location as he went to. Whatever they used car accelerated much slower afterwards. I think that's what prompted me to join this site. He works a lot of hours so I'm guessing that's why he hasn't done anything yet and it was done a few days ago. Any thoughts on how to proceed? If I can't find anything loose prob just do another oil change to possibly get rid of the noise.

Car looks pretty nice, black, tinted windows and oem alloy wheels. Four cylinder I believe.

I agree with doing another oil change for him. Perhaps reuse the oil. Buy a new filter and compare it with the one removed from the Avenger. Poke around underneath the car -- maybe something got knocked loose at the oil change place. Hopefully the answer will pop up along the way.

Thank you and good idea about changing the filter to see if that helps. Just checked their online reviews. Someone posted their invoice and it lists a $1.95 filter at retail. I'm guessing that's the filter even though it's under shop supplies.

Good idea. I don't have an oil filter cutter but can send it to Car51. He has offered to do that in the past with my old filters.

GTX is not the best synthetic.
It is not even synthetic. It will work but I would change the filter if you can't locate the noise.

That invoice was from someone else and I just posted it as an example of the cheap filter with no part number. I think my friend went with the Edge EP since the price matches up with what he paid.

$20.00 for a wiper blade?? No thanks. Shop supplies $1.95? What shop supplies would they use besides a 5 cent oil rag?

Cut the filter open. Sounds like a bad bearing but you won’t know unless you find babbit material.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Sounds like it could be a loose air intake or loose vacuum hose.

Good idea, they may have done that while checking the air filter and being in a hurry.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
Shop supplies $1.95? What shop supplies would they use besides a 5 cent oil rag?

I think it's for the oil filter since it's not listed anywhere else on the invoice.

Another issue the car has is no heat on the passenger side of the car. Which is a common problem with this model and year. Seems to be a clogged heat core from sand when it was made.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Avenger/2012/

Last edited:
I've probably driven by there in the past couple of years when visiting relatives.
That address would be between Detroit and Hilliard?
The noise is either from a loose airbox cover or maybe duct or a vacuum hose knocked a little loose.
Could be the oil filter, but I'd expect more in the way of start-up noise from that rather than upon acceleration.
If all else fails, replace the oil filter and see what happens.
Frustrating when what's probably a minor problem crops up that was almost certainly caused during the course of the service work done.

agrees on bumped hose. try to see if anything looks disconnected or loose.

they may have also left a tool or part. or if your car has a plastic undertray shield or splashguards it isn't reattached correctly.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Good idea. I don't have an oil filter cutter but can send it to Car51. He has offered to do that in the past with my old filters.

Hi Matt. I'll gladly "investigat " the filter. I'll be posting a failed E SCARE(E CORE filter) off brothers Yukon late next week
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BJD78
$20.00 for a wiper blade?? No thanks

I agree. Thieves! I can get wiper blades for less than $10 Canadian.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Sounds like it could be a loose air intake or loose vacuum hose.

Can't tell you how many times my aunt complained of her car running like a pile. I asked what she did, she said nothing. Did someone touch the car? Yes, got the oil changed at the dealership. Lo and behold, vacuum line off. EVERY FLIPPING TIME, for as long as she had the car serviced there.

You are paying for installation too.
They don't just jump out of the package and install themselves.
I wish they did sometimes.

Good God those oil change prices are high! I’ve never been to an oil change outfit but many have signs outside hawking $19.99 oil services. Sets a fellow to thinking just what quality of products are being used.
Just goes to show you that DIY oil changes are cheap even when giving your car the best of oils. My 330ci was the only car I suffered through dealer oil changes mostly cause it was necessary for warranty. Went over the car with a fine tooth comb though every time it came back from the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back