Need Used Mower for Multiple Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am gonna have to replace the church riding mower. I know old Simplicity Landlord's and old JD's were super tough. Only about 1/2 acre to mow. Need to keep it under $1500 if possible. Only interested in older used metal (lol) mowers. Any ideas?

For 1/2 acre and just for mowing you don’t need a GT. John Deere LX188 used off CL. I’ve had mine for 20 years and have spent $100 on repairs in all those years.

You can buy a new Craftsman mower for less than $1500, right?

1/2 acre doesn't have to be super heavy duty

My vote is to drop the $100 and fix your old mower. But, if not, what is the terrain like? Hilly terrain is hard on the hydros of entry level lawn tractors, so if it is hilly you'd probably be better off sticking with a garden tractor.

With John Deere, how do I know what is the "real" JD? I don't want one like Lowe's sells. I want one with the super tough deck. X300, LT 180, D 140????

Originally Posted By: Gebo
With John Deere, how do I know what is the "real" JD? I don't want one like Lowe's sells. I want one with the super tough deck. X300, LT 180, D 140????

Of the three you listed, the "D" series is the "Big Box" store mower.
Regarding newer Deeres, quality starts with the "X" series. The 300 is the bottom of the line. They are a decent lawn tractor for mowing on relatively flat ground. I can speak from experience, I own an X300.
The LT is an older model. If you can find one in decent shape, it should make a good mower.

I just saw you had another thread on the LX 178. You could rehab the deck on the LX 178 and buy a new hood cheaper than buying a new big box store mower, and have a much better, albeit older mower. The LX series with the Kawasaki liquid cooled engines and TuffTorq foot control hydrostatic transaxle is one of the best LT mowers ever built. The hoods are very brittle on these models ( my hood is held on with a bungee cord) and and are expensive to replace but if all else is good with it, I would try to repair the LX 178.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Regarding newer Deeres, quality starts with the "X" series. The 300 is the bottom of the line. They are a decent lawn tractor for mowing on relatively flat ground. I can speak from experience, I own an X300.
The LT is an older model. If you can find one in decent shape, it should make a good mower.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I just saw you had another thread on the LX 178. You could rehab the deck on the LX 178 and buy a new hood cheaper than buying a new big box store mower, and have a much better, albeit older mower. The LX series with the Kawasaki engines and TuffTorq foot control hydrostatic transaxle is one of the best LT mowers ever built. The hoods are very brittle on these models and and are expensive to replace but if all else is good with it, I would try to repair the LX 178.

I would normally totally agree with you. But, I have additional info that makes buying another older mower a better option. I’ll never buy a new mower. 15-25 years old is my search area.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Thank you!

Should also add that the LA series along with those mowers branded "Sabre" by John Deere were also "Big Box" mowers. However, the Sabre was comparable to their STX series, which were sold through dealers only. A nice Sabre (also marketed as a Scotts) or STX would make a decent mower if you ran across a decent one. Would advise staying away from the LA series, however.

are you planning on repairing yourself?

A JD316 was 3000$ in 1978

Its the stripped version of the 318 no power steering to fail

Its still the golden standard of garden tractor IMO.. but finding good examples in mint condition is difficult.

If replacing a hydro hose, and some fuel line etc is within your skills/time they are still good.

I picked up a average condition 316 last year for 1100$ but had to put 250$ into the deck, and it still needs fuel line and a couple other things pretty soon.. mows great.

The 200 series can be found under 1000 but many are belt and variator drive with "clutch" and are not nearly as good for random people to mow with--compared to the "automatic" hydrostatic transmission the 300 series gets.

I bought my 212 for 300$ put about 300$ in it and its reliable.. burns oil about 2oz/hr which is common on those engines.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

I'm thinking a push mower would be fine for a half acre, if it's flat. Even less to break, and even less to buy. My yard has a tilt to it, and even though I've had two riding tractors given to me, I've gone back to a push mower each time--cuts better, and isn't that much slower.

To each their own. Just had to point that out, though. Am guessing the church gets more volunteers if it's a riding mower.

Yep, I’d probably get NO volunteers with a push mower. It’s about 1/2 acre total grass but there’s a pretty large parking lot in the middle. Probably a 2 acre lot. Whole lots of walking.

I’d really like to find a mid 90s Honda rider.

Last edited:
I’d really like to find a mid 90s Honda rider.

I had a Honda 3810 until I got my LX188 in 1998. It was a good mower but since Honda hasn’t made riders in years, I would avoid a Honda rider. When it breaks, you’ll be hard pressed to find parts for it. You can still get parts for a 40 year old JD from a JD dealer.

Originally Posted By: supton
I'm thinking a push mower would be fine for a half acre, if it's flat.

Church's don't typically pay for their lawn service. Someone volunteers. And you would find many more volunteers vs a push mower if you had a riding mower for them to use.

Edit- Gebo beat me to it and said the same thing

As I have been focusing on JD's, it seems like I gotta be really careful about which transmission the mower has in it. I'm getting confused. K46 too many repairs, K61 is bullet proof, etc. IDK what to believe... Craigs list, ebay, ...

I'll start again tomorrow.

You might consider the LX277. Air cooled Kawasaki twin 48” deck and foot controlled Hydrostatic transaxle. Very stout and dependable mower. Also, If property is relatively flat, a ZTR will out mow any Lawn tractor ever built.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

Best option. Why mess around with used junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back