05 Legacy GT--4800 miles, Castrol 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Amsoil:

2005 SUBARU LEGACY 2.5L 4 -cyl Engine EJ255 Turbo
Subaru has published Service Bulletin # 02-103-07 that identifies a factory design related problem with premature clogging of the oil mesh screen located inside the oiling system that supplies the turbo charger on all model turbo charged cars. A clogged screen will result in oil starvation and turbo charger failure. Subaru has since published Service Bulletin #02-110-10R indicating that 2010 MY and prior turbocharged engines continue to require oil and filter change intervals of 3,750 miles (6,000 km) or 3 3/4 months, while all 2011 MY turbocharged engines have returned to the original requirement of 7,500 miles (12,000 km) or 7 1/2 months, and they are required to use synthetic oil. Due to the issues outlined in this document, AMSOIL recommends following Subaru drain interval recommendations.

VISCOSITIES:
All TEMPS....5W-30 SAE 5W-30 is preferred.
Above -4 F .10W-30, 10W-40
CAPACITIES: With filter 4.4 quarts After refill check oil level.
TORQUES: Oil Drain Plug...33 ft/lbs

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
From Amsoil:

Subaru has published Service Bulletin # 02-103-07 that identifies a factory design related problem with premature clogging of the oil mesh screen located inside the oiling system that supplies the turbo charger on all model turbo charged cars. A clogged screen will result in oil starvation and turbo charger failure. Subaru has since published Service Bulletin #02-110-10R indicating that 2010 MY and prior turbocharged engines continue to require oil and filter change intervals of 3,750 miles (6,000 km) or 3 3/4 months, while all 2011 MY turbocharged engines have returned to the original requirement of 7,500 miles (12,000 km) or 7 1/2 months, and they are required to use synthetic oil. Due to the issues outlined in this document, AMSOIL recommends following Subaru drain interval recommendations.

VISCOSITIES:

Interesting TSB, so instead of addressing the part in question, they shorten the OCI.

OT-33 ft/lbs torque on a drain plug seems high.........

i just put the T6 5w40 in it (for the first time)

The coolant leak comment is telling. I have smelled a faint whiff of coolant when shutting the car off

Originally Posted By: funkymonkey1111
i just put the T6 5w40 in it (for the first time)

The coolant leak comment is telling. I have smelled a faint whiff of coolant when shutting the car off

Good choice of oil - I was going to suggest an HDEO rather than the resource conserving oil you were previously using.

With regard to the coolant, are you using the Subaru Cooling System Conditioner? If not, I'd recommend adding a bottle.

Demar, on a Subaru engine, the drain plug is a stressed member and therefore requires significant tightening
smile.gif

This, along with the aluminum crush washer, is the reason I went to a Fumoto valve. It certainly gave me a safe feeling with the drain hole being up on the side of the pan, and the belly pan ensures nothing is going to get up there and mess with the Fumoto lever.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
From Amsoil:

VISCOSITIES:

Interesting TSB, so instead of addressing the part in question, they shorten the OCI.

Subaru did address the part in question a couple of years later.

OP - What air filter are you running?

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
From Amsoil:

VISCOSITIES:

Subaru did address the part in question a couple of years later.

OP - What air filter are you running?

Subaru OEM filter

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Check the air filter - lots of Si for the miles. Some of the wear is abrasive wear I'd bet.

I disagree there because the chromium level is low. If silicon levels are high due to excessive dirt, that would cause piston ring wear (chromium) In this case I think the silicon is probably mostly of the non abrasive kind (as an additive in the virgin oil for example)

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Check the air filter - lots of Si for the miles. Some of the wear is abrasive wear I'd bet.

I disagree there because the chromium level is low. If silicon levels are high due to excessive dirt, that would cause piston ring wear (chromium) In this case I think the silicon is probably mostly of the non abrasive kind (as an additive in the virgin oil for example)

I'm not aware of any oils that have a silicon containing additive, if it is in the UOA results then it is either coming from the outside (ingested) or is leaching from a silicone RTV (there is no way to tell the difference via a UOA). After over 125,000 miles I would not expect to see elevated Si levels due to sealants however. Besides chromium, other elements (the ones flagged by Blackstone) also are indicators of silica ingestion:

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/89/silicon-engine-oil

Maybe not silicon as an "additive" per se, however we see VOAs all the time where there is a good amount of silicon already in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back