New Air Impact Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
While look at cordless units I came across this from Proto, not needing a new impact I only picked it up because of its looks and as soon as I did I had to have it.
This is the best balanced gun I have ever used bar none, even with the weight of a deep socket on it the weight of the air hose seems to balance it out.

Doing some research on it the gun compares in power to the IR 2235 but without the rear buttons, I had the 2135 and the buttons rattles out twice before I tossed it.
I use the Aircat and IR231 and a Hazet mini but this is by far the best. It is in a different class as is the price, Mac sells this gun for over $400 as does Facom in Europe.

I scored it for $169 I couldn't pass it up, my good friend Frank (Demarpaint) also jumped on it, he got the last one. This is made in Taiwan but so is the IR and Aircat they are just assembled in the USA.
This gun is high quality with a titanium nose, switch lever and tail piece, it has a grease fitting.

It uses a 3 level switch on the trigger which once I got use to it on my Hazet I have come to like. It keeps the back of the gun flat with no chance of bumping a button.
I does a nice job of regulating the air with distinct power levels, in reverse its full power only.

It is light and the balance is something you need to experience to believe, it just seems to go where you aim it without drooping at the nose. This gun has lots of power, more than IR 2135 or the Aircat.
Like all guns it needs high flow fittings and a min of 3/8 ID hose to work properly.
The only small negative I find is the slightly extended anvil, it adds to the length a little but would not be considered a extended anvil, I think it must have something to do with the balance and definitely not a deal breaker.

Finding a boot for the thing was a job, Amazon had one seller with outrageous price and huge shipping cost so seeing as Mac sells the gun with a trigger guard I looked there.
$16 inc shipping in clear or red.

This is the gun from Proto.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-J150WP-2-Inch-Square-Pistol/dp/B00F945CXW

And from Mac.

https://www.mactools.com/en-us/Power-Too...e-Impact-Wrench

The clear boot.

https://www.mactools.com/en-us/Power-Too...tive-Boot-Clear

Some pics of mine with the Mac clear boot. Note the boot from Proto and Mac has made in USA on them, they are the gun is not.

Another nice write up! I had to have one after we spoke. I haven't used it yet, once the weather breaks it will get a workout here. The balance and weight is amazing. I have no doubt it was well worth the money. Now I have go get a boot for it.

I had the Mac impact by proto. Very comfortable and strong but it won’t take abuse like moisture not being oiled ect. Mine lived a year the tank at the shop I was at always had tons of moisture and would leak oil into the tank it killed the gun.

No air tool tolerates water well. Fortunately that is something I have control of, I use filters and oiler and always drain the tank of any water after it sits overnight before starting it.

Trav

Another nice write-up. I'm sure the time you'll save will allow you to take on more jobs or finish jobs quicker, which will allow you to help us out more on BITOG!

Thanks, tools wear out, get broken or just obsolete and need to be replaced and of course some I just want to own.
I just bought a new set of Hazet wrenches because they have the new flank drive style box. Nothing wrong with the old ones and they were old, probably 1986 vintage.

The new ones grab slightly rusted fastener heads better, its just a better tool and I like the look of them. LOL
When I go to the big garage it all gets donated to the trade school I went to, to either use or given to kids that could use them but cant afford quality tools.

Originally Posted By: Trav
No air tool tolerates water well. Fortunately that is something I have control of, I use filters and oiler and always drain the tank of any water after it sits overnight before starting it.

Trav,

What size and make of compressor are you using? I'm assuming 50-60 Gallon 240v?

I'm in the market for a lighter weight/quieter 1/2" drive impact. My IR-C232 (Cornwell Version) gave up last month. I use it to tear down Transmission Cores for the most part. I'm hard on it & mistreat the tool....Use it as a hammer to knock extension housings loose. Composite frame guns have never worked for this & to much metal-laden ATF for electric guns.

I'm probably stuck with another IR231/C232, But.....Do you think Titanium will hold-up with light hammer duty Trav?

Man that's a tough call. I think it would hold up but the 231 is probably better suited IMO for what you do with it. The 231 is a heck of a good gun, I have had one for years and wouldn't dream of getting rid of it.
That being said it is loud and heavy but it is also one of the few guns you can regulate in reverse and all metal construction.

Proto does have 3/8 version that has over 500 ftlb and under $200 on ebay if 1/2" is not a must for this work?

Proto 3/8

Man that's a tough call. I think it would hold up but the 231 is probably better suited IMO for what you do with it. The 231 is a heck of a good gun, I have had one for years and wouldn't dream of getting rid of it.
That being said it is loud and heavy but it is also one of the few guns you can regulate in reverse and all metal construction.

Proto does have 3/8 version that has over 500 ftlb and under $200 on ebay if 1/2" is not a must for this work?

Proto 3/8

Thanks Trav.
4L60E bellhousing to case bolts demand a "big hammer" gun & my tear-down sockets are 1/2" drive.

A IR231/C232 lasts me 3-4 years of hard use & they always break the same way......The Hammer Drive coupler shears off. I'm sure the 4L60E T50-Plus bolts are responsible.

MMrL47B.jpg

I have seen that on mini guns but not a 1/2", when you said you work them hard you weren't kidding. I guess 3/4 drive is out because of the weight and sockets already owned?

Proto 3/4

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1

Trav,

What size and make of compressor are you using? I'm assuming 50-60 Gallon 240v?

80 gallon Quincy 2 stage, yes 230V. I need it more for spraying with air respirator full face mask both together need about 20 CFM.
A 60 gallon single stage 230V will run most air tools used in automotive work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back