13 TDI Jetta CEL code question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ex g/f's (another story) 2013 TDI Jetta, 70K miles, is getting an intermittent CEL with the following code:

Right now, the plan is that this car will be bought back by VW under the TDI buyback program at the end of the summer. However, the car needs to make it to the summer. No performance issues are noticed in the car, but decent miles are expected to be put on the car until the end of the summer (likely 10K).

No estimate was offered to her to fix this. Anyone in the know know what ballpark repair is on this, or is it something that can be ignored?

Also, there's an outside, but slim, chance the car may be kept and she'll receive a smaller buyback amount since she likes the car so much.

Thanks for any info.

Sell it back now. I read the TDI forums off and on, a lot of people kicking themselves over not selling them sooner. Either the HPFP goes out resulting thousands of dollars in repairs needed or some other high expense repair, or they get wrecked.

Does she do a lot of short trips? City driving? If so, tell hert to take it out on the road and open it up. Drive 100 miles or more on a trip. DPFs fill quickly on short trips and don't get the chance to burn off the collected soot efficiently. Try that and see if the first code goes away.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Sell it back now. I read the TDI forums off and on, a lot of people kicking themselves over not selling them sooner. Either the HPFP goes out resulting thousands of dollars in repairs needed or some other high expense repair, or they get wrecked.

wrecking it is the thing that makes me the most nervous. she's shopping now.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Does she do a lot of short trips? City driving? If so, tell hert to take it out on the road and open it up. Drive 100 miles or more on a trip. DPFs fill quickly on short trips and don't get the chance to burn off the collected soot efficiently. Try that and see if the first code goes away.

Yes, lots of short city trips, with trips to the mountains, road trips, etc. but mostly short, around-town commutes.

The exhaust pressure valve wouldnt be covered under the extended emissions warranty? This is pretty much just a throttle body plumbed into the exhaust stream, to slow down the flow and get the dpf, cats, etc hot. Sometimes they just load up with carbon so you can take it out and clean it, see if it helps after clearing the fault.

Originally Posted By: Audios
The exhaust pressure valve wouldnt be covered under the extended emissions warranty? This is pretty much just a throttle body plumbed into the exhaust stream, to slow down the flow and get the dpf, cats, etc hot. Sometimes they just load up with carbon so you can take it out and clean it, see if it helps after clearing the fault.

At this point, I don't think that VW is doing any warranty repairs on those buy-back TDIs any longer, they are just buying them back and crushing them.

Last edited:
Yup, it's the exhaust flap. See VW TSB# 26-15-07. Should be covered under warranty. I doubt the dealer will fix it, due to buyback.

Just drive it.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Yup, it's the exhaust flap. See VW TSB# 26-15-07. Should be covered under warranty. I doubt the dealer will fix it, due to buyback.

Just drive it.

Or, he can take it apart and tack weld the flap open. While he is at it, he could poke holes in the DPF guts, as a result, the car will run stronger and get better MPGs. No harm no foul, the car is going to the scrap heap anyway.

no insult to this forum but VWVortex + TDI forums is the place. maybe someone local with a VagCom could scan it or possibly Auto Zone. Ross Tech builder of VagCom has codes + possible cures on their site i believe. Yes i had + have Vag cars but no diesels, both great, 200,000 + running great at trade 2001 jetta 1.8T + now a 2001 Audi TT 225Q roadster, fun under the sun!! IMO diesels are meant for lotta longer trips + of course torque for towing. a friend complained his mpg's dropped under 50 in the winter with an earlier model jetta!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back