How to clean an antique shotgun stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Winchester Model 12 manufactured in 1923 that I inherited.

I'd like to clean the stock to reveal the beauty of the wood without ruining the value of the gun.

Suggestions on how to properly/safely clean the stock?

Thank you!

Ed

I have a couple almost 100 year old guns that I inherited. They were stored poorly in a humid basement. I only wiped them down with WD-40 and called it good. A lot of the surface rust came off the barrels and gunk off the stocks anything more and I fear I would ruin the patina and history.

I used Guardsman Lemon Oil on my 1930 LC Smith double barrel shotgun. Rub a few drops into the wood with your finger tips and buff with a soft cloth. Repeat several times. It will clean the finish without harming it. I got mine off Amazon for about $10 shipped.

I second lemon oil although I've only used it to clean the fretboard of a guitar, I don't see the stock being anything different, they are still wood.

The Model 12 is a jewel in the shot gun world . I have one and it is a keeper.

Have you tried just a *barely damp* cloth? I'd start with that. Pictures of what it looks like now might be helpful.

I would check out some old gun forums or find someone in your area that is knowledgeable. Doing the wrong thing could detract from the value of the gun.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
The wood finish should be gently cleaned before any wax is applied.

That is correct, George (noremf) on rimfire central has some excellent post about this type of work. He suggests using bottled water with a couple drops of dish soap and a cloth, rinse with bottled water, let dry and repeat. Then use 100% mineral spirits. This process is supposed to be safe for any type of top coat.

Originally Posted By: billt460

Holy [censored]! Don't do that to a collectible rifle! He severely reduced the value of that firearm to most purist collectors.

I bet he sold more products, though!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Holy [censored]! Don't do that to a collectible rifle! He severely reduced the value of that firearm to most purist collectors.

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
I'd like to clean the stock to reveal the beauty of the wood without ruining the value of the gun. Suggestions on how to properly/safely clean the stock? Thank you! Ed

You're either going to clean the thing, or you're not. The OP has stated in his first post that he wants to, "clean the stock to reveal the beauty of the wood". This thing isn't an original Walker Colt. Old Model 12's are a dime a dozen, just like Remington Rolling Blocks. There were over 2 million of them produced.

There's a big difference between cleaning while preserving the original finish and essentially re-finishing the wood like what is shown in the video. Personally, I thought the rifle in the video looked better before than after! Everyone has their own preferences, though, and if the OP would rather have a pretty looking firearm over one with the original finish the video is very helpful.

Waxes are not as much in favor as they once were. Try cleaning instead first with a very soft cloth dampened with warm water with a little bit of Murphy's Oil Soap in it. A detergent may be too harsh. Wipe gently, working in to remove soil with fresh soap and water, and go back several times. Never really "wet" the the wood! Rinse at least twice with plain warm water on a soft cloth. Wipe with a dry cloth, and allow to fully air dry.

(Be sure to wipe the metal down with a very simple gun oil -nothing fancy (no solvents, CLPs, etc.) Use Outer's or the most simple Hoppe's oil.)

Once the wood is dry, try applying a lemon furniture oil on a small spot. Just use a little, again on a soft cloth. Buff lightly. If you like how it looks, do the entire wood with it. Repeat again in several days.

The mineral oil, unlike a wax, can be easily removed if you don't like the look. Just use the soap and warm water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back