1NZ-FE engine spinning away on a long trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
xB is geared crazy; I'm guessing but my echo ran about 400RPM/10MPH so about < 3K @ 70MPH

and yes, i sit in the driver's seat doing nonsense like what is mentioned above.

Liked it enough to buy another 1nz-fe

Me too, although I've always done that with my manuals. I love the noises this engine makes and the 3rd gear kick you get when you cross the 4000 rpm mark.

The one thing I've noticed is you must be careful with fuel dilution on cold days. When I first drove it in winter I was shifting at a normal 3000 rpm before reasonably warmed up. This resulted in a strong fuel smell when checking the oil. I've mitigated this by shifting early and being gentle on the throttle for the first mile or so. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

That is some pretty short gearing for any modern car.
I'd imagine that the extra weight and drag of this body on this platform require this.
Short gearing does have its rewards in that you do get some grunt at highway speeds with no need for a downshift.
You already know that higher revs equate with higher bearing temperatures just from temporary shear, but you've got that covered with Red Line.
Kinda does make your old Civic looked like it has tall gearing, though.
We had a couple of these wagons and IIRC, you got 23.3 mph/K in fifth.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
... Kinda does make your old Civic looked like it has tall gearing, though.
We had a couple of these wagons and IIRC, you got 23.3 mph/K in fifth.
That's the same as my '81 5-speed Mazda---pretty tall, compared to earlier 4-speed small cars that were typically geared for 15-16 mph/KRPM. Also, tall compared to some undergeared modern cars, for example the manual Honda Fit.

I have the 4-speed auto on my echo with no tachometer, but judging by the engine sound in 4th gear the revs are getting up there.
I typically just don't go faster than 100kmh (65mph). We dont have any speed limits over 110kmh, so it's not a big deal. She gets me to work and back.

I'm pretty sure Toyota R&D have managed to build an engine that will turn out plenty of reliable miles at those speeds. North America is a very important market for them, and are aware of the use it be put to.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: ndfergy
This resulted in a strong fuel smell when checking the oil. I've mitigated this by shifting early and being gentle on the throttle for the first mile or so. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

I can't say for the non-Prius 1NZ engines, but fuel dilution is common with the Prius version. I never had an UOA done(and I should in my 10+ years on this board) to find out how much fuel dilution is in my case.

Toyotas in general tend to run a little on the rich side, I dunno if it's due to how they meter fuel during a cold start or more to keep the engine from running lean during high-load situations.

I used to drive a gen 2 miata. It was also 4k RPM at 70 mph, 5 spd stick. In that car, the high revs weren't obtrusive or distracting in the least. It was just a sweet sweet song.

-m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back