fram filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that Fram has started making the extra guard line with a silicone ADBV,it got me thinking, is it really necessary to use a different filter for an oil change of 5-6000 miles or less? Most vehicles I service, I change the oil around 5-6000 miles with either a Fram Ultra or ToughGuard. My buddies 2011 4.8 Chevy I always change it every 5k with either Supertech Dexos 5W30 or Castrol Magnatec 5W30 with a Fram Ultra, he has a 1 mile drive to work and 1 mile back, with a long trip in between every week. I'm wondering if it would be ok to step to up to Castrol 0W40 with either an extraguard or a toughguard, or to stick with the Fram Ultra. The ultimate question is, for these 5-6k oil changes I do on multiple vehicles, will the EG or TG filter suffice?

Also, are the EG and TG filters still rated for 5k and 10k miles, respectively? What is the main difference between the two, the filter media?

Another odd thing is my buddies Impala specs a Fram 10575 oil filter, the Ultra is $9.63 at Wal Mart While the Toughguard is $9.82

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Another odd thing is my buddies Impala specs a Fram 10575 oil filter, the Ultra is $9.63 at Wal Mart While the Toughguard is $9.82

There's NO GOOD REASON for those to cost that much....

There is a new super tech ST10575 for $2.84 now......

Several months ago, I bought six Fram Ultra oil filters on flebay for $4.50 each with free shipping. They were in perfect condition. Have no idea how they can sell them that cheap. Unless?

Respectfully,

Pajero!

My analysis on a short OCI with a 3$ Napa Proselect filter was excellent so I'm sticking with that! No need to spend so much unless running multiple changes on that Fram filter. Napa proselects for short intervals and Napa Golds if I run longer but Im in the camp of not using a filter twice.. Oil out, filter out. I rather buy cheap but well constructed filters and change them out on every oil change. You can use a Proselect or Silver for very cheap. You might even check with the dealers on getting OEM filters.. My local dealer sells filters for about 7-8$ up here in Canada.. cheaper or equal in price to an OCOD filter at the store..

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: mobilaltima

There's NO GOOD REASON for those to cost that much....

Totally agree the TG at my Walmart is 6.64 everyday price and the Ultra is 8.97 everyday.

I am wondering the same thing. The TG has a little better filtration (99%) than the Extraguard (95%), but now that all Frams come with a silicone ADV, I don't see that extra 4% filtration costing twice the price.

And as noted, some filters have crazy pricing. @ Walmart, the PH9688 is $3.77, TG9688 is $8.97, XG9688 is $9.57.
The PH2 is also $3.77, but the TG2 and XG2 are more reasonable @ $6.64 and $8.97.

TG is more than adequate. I'm sure the EG is also, but FRAM won't tell us what it's rated for yet. TG is still rated for 10k intervals and I'd use it for your specified needs without worry.
As of now, I think the only change to the EG is a silicon ADBV. It's a fine filter for standard OEM change intervals, but I personally wouldn't push it beyond what the manual says to drive the car for an interval until we get more information on it.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
As of now, I think the only change to the EG is a silicon ADBV. It's a fine filter for standard OEM change intervals, but I personally wouldn't push it beyond what the manual says to drive the car for an interval until we get more information on it.

Fram's website says: "Extra Guard meets all manufacturer’s recommended change intervals."

So probably not recommended for use beyond what the vehicle manufacturer's service manual says. Seems they got rid of the "up to 5,000 mile statement", which was probably due to the old ones having a nitrile ADBV, and replaced it with the current use statement now that it has a silicone ADBV.

Quote:
Seems they got rid of the "up to 5,000 mile statement"

I'm sure they thought that that statement would keep some
fro using the OCOD filter since most MFGs now spec 7500 mile oil
changes.
Marketing considerations. May also be the reason behind the switch to
silicone ADBV.

My 2¢

Captured from Fram’s website.

Extra Guard® is the perfect filter for everyday drivers who perform oil changes at OE recommended intervals. Extra Guard® has cellulose and glass blended media that provides advanced engine protection for your vehicle. Engineered with a silicone anti-drain back valve, Extra Guard® meets all manufacturer’s recommended change intervals.

Tough Guard is the ideal filter for drivers who have high mileage vehicles or push their vehicles in stop-and-go traffic, towing and extreme weather conditions. Our re-engineered Synthetic-Blend filter media that provides premium engine protection for your vehicle.

Have a new engine or trying to provide maximum protection for an older one? Ultra Synthetic provides top performance. Engineered to be paired with synthetic oil, it offers protection up to 20,000 and 99%+ filtration efficiency.†

Fram says OEM recommendations for the Extra Guard.

Interesting market speak for Tough Guard.

20,000 miles for the Ultra.

The Ultra has much better sealing on the end caps than TG or EG. That is the only Fram I would use. Except their racing filters, might want to look if they have one. The Ultra is actually a better value from what I have seen opening them myself.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Except their racing filters, might want to look if they have one.

The HP series racing oil filters have a much reduced efficiency rating.

They flow well........ just don't filter all that great.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Several months ago, I bought six Fram Ultra oil filters on flebay for $4.50 each with free shipping. They were in perfect condition. Have no idea how they can sell them that cheap. Unless?

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Got a seller to list on that? Bulk pack and parts store wholesale liquidators that are not authorized sellers have a different set of economics and are not playing on the same level playing field as brick and mortar retail establishments

So the HP filters are little more than rock catchers?

Originally Posted By: jakewells

So the HP filters are little more than rock catchers?

They are 94%@20 microns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back