Gas Engine Performance Modifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Informative.

The issue Ford sees is people modifying turbocharged vehicles which most often puts more stress on the engine and transmission. Unlike say a Mustang V8, turbo cars are very easy and cheap to add meaningful power to.

A lot of guys that own a Focus ST or a Fiesta ST modify them.

Also to note and feel free to fact check me as I may be wrong:
The Focus RS has a campaign to replace the head gasket and if needed, the cylinder head if the car was built between August 3, 2015 to July 6, 2017.
However, if the car is modified to the point of voiding the warranty, Ford wont replace the head gasket. Ford supposedly installed the wrong head gasket, one meant for the Mustang with the 2.3 which is slightly different.

Originally Posted By: eddy21
You could start the vehicle a couple hundred times to throw them off .

Negative, it isn't just a key on and off cycle. It has to be a drive cycle.

AKA the Ford Warranty denial handbook. It's actually a decent idea to distribute a doc like this to your techs

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
AKA the Ford Warranty denial handbook. It's actually a decent idea to distribute a doc like this to your techs

True. However, I'd be willing to bet all manufacturers have similar bulletins.

There is something of an underground culture of returning car to stock for any warranty visits, rendering the warranty-denial-due-to-modification policy harder to enforce.

Originally Posted By: Olas
There is something of an underground culture of returning car to stock for any warranty visits, rendering the warranty-denial-due-to-modification policy harder to enforce.

Not sure how underground it really is. If I had to take my truck to the dealer I'd take the catch can off first. I understand things like raising boost pressures or even tuning engines in general, but some warranty denials are insane. I don't want a transmission warranty claim denied because of my engine oil catch can.

I'm on the Fiesta ST forum and some dealers are cool warranting modded cars . I put mine to stock every time, even for an hvac blend door problem. Now I'm in the middle of installing a Pumaspeed X47R hybrid turbo so that's out the window .

I'm on the Fiesta ST forum and some dealers are cool warranting modded cars . I put mine to stock every time, even for an hvac blend door problem. Now I'm in the middle of installing a Pumaspeed X47R hybrid turbo so that's out the window .

That being a stock looking, 'factory frame' based turbo, you could still possibly get away with it as long as you do not have too many blatantly aftermarket appearing supporting mods as well, and install the factory tune and drive it REALLY easy there and back.
But of course, you then have Ford's re-flash counter, and their techs on 'high alert' scenarios to deal with.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

That being a stock looking, 'factory frame' based turbo, you could still possibly get away with it as long as you do not have too many blatantly aftermarket appearing supporting mods as well, and install the factory tune and drive it REALLY easy there and back.
But of course, you then have Ford's re-flash counter, and their techs on 'high alert' scenarios to deal with.
frown.gif

Factory tune is out of the question with this turbo . I'd swap back to stock turbo for a high dollar repair .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back