Dealetship oil change burned me for the last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I chose to let the dealership do my first few free oil changes on my 2017 Tundra, and on my second oil change at 10,000 miles they overfilled it by at least a quart. I drove 35 miles home, checked the oil, and sure enough overfilled. I even gave them 8 quarts of Mobil 1 (7.9 capacity), and it looks like they rushed getting a good drain on the old oil. Now, I got home and immediately checked the dipstick for bubbles, and I found only a handful of them. I then checked it about 15 minutes later to get a more accurate level. I just started completely over and changed it myself. Is there anything that I should overly concerned with regarding long term engine or seal damage? I’ve never checked my oil that quick after driving it so I don’t know if a few bubbles would be normal or not. I figured I would call the dealership and politely let them know what happened, but I doubt it would matter, but I can only assume that this happens very frequently with most people never knowing. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
This is why I NEVER let the dealer change my oil, even when they were "free."

The people doing the oil and tire changes at dealers are kids in high school being paid as little as possible. The master mechanics have better things to do. If you have a sports car, expect it to be romped on before and/or after service.

No thanks.

The Mobil oil you gave them is probably going into someone's vehicle that works there, and you got bulk oil instead. Yeah, stuff like that happens all the time at dealerships.

But this oil change might show up on Carfax showing proof you took care of your truck adding resale value.

If the capacity was 7.9 quarts and you gave them 8 quarts, do you really think the oil was still running out when they put the drain plug in? Over filled on this engine by a quart isn't going to hurt anything. Quit fretting and do it yourself next time or find an independent garage. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
If the capacity was 7.9 quarts and you gave them 8 quarts, do you really think the oil was still running out when they put the drain plug in? Over filled on this engine by a quart isn't going to hurt anything. Quit fretting and do it yourself next time or find an independent garage. Ed

If they can’t do it right then they shouldn’t do it at all.

Originally Posted By: Idlewild294
Is there anything that I should overly concerned with regarding long term engine or seal damage?

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

There isn't going to be any damage at all, zero.

You are fine.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
But this oil change might show up on Carfax showing proof you took care of your truck adding resale value.

It doesn't add resale value any more than maintaining accurate records of service. Just because it's on a Carfax doesn't make it any more valuable than a receipt.

Carfax is also [censored]. My car has been in two accidents, and only one is listed (the one that happened when the car was in a dealer's possession and they said it wouldn't show.)

I agree, I keep my own records for maintenance. I also had a truck that had a wreck and frame damage missing from a Carfax.

I don't think oil bubbling is a good sign. Or a great indicator that this is just fine. It's not. 1/2 qt maybe up to 3/4 over full is ok in most any motor. But a full quart with bubbles in the oil is an obvious sign there is too much in there.

Wonder who got the M1?
You didn't, since there's no way that the engine would be way overfilled with the eight quarts you gave them.
Not waiting until the one drop a minute point wouldn't have mattered either, since almost all of the oil that's drainable is out in the first sixty seconds with any engine that's been run and is warm.
The moral is DIY and know it's done right with the oil and filter you actually want.

Lots of dealerships have those big windows overlooking the shop area, at least mine does and quite a few others I've seen. You can even ask for the empty containers back. Find a level spot in the parking lot at the dealership wait a few minutes and check the oil level before you leave. Better than driving the 35 miles only to find out the knuckleheads muffed a simple oil change. As far as long term damage, I highly doubt it as long as you didn't drive home like a madman

Oil change places (including many dealerships) won't pay attention to 0.1 of a quart. Even when the oil capacity is something like 4.2-4.5, they usually pour 5 quarts. I've noticed too that the dealership overfilled my car a few times. It is better (and usually less expensive) to do it yourself, and even more important than price -- you really do know that you are using a high-quality oil, and not the bulk one.

Last edited:
I would call Toyota Motor North America. The Stealerships answer to them. It's rare, but I've heard of a Stealership loosing their license. Your vehicle should be fine. Sorry that happened.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

No one takes pride in their work! I'm referring to the latest/greatest generation. I'm sure there are exceptions. But, it's different World!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

I'm a firm believer in doing it right the first time, but being 1 qt over on an 8 qt capacity is not even worth discussing. Sleep well.

The only difference between a car stealership vs a drug dealer is that a car "dealer" is selling a legal product. Both of them will lie, cheat and steal while smiling at you and laughing all the way to the bank; and the car stealership will destroy your car with carelessness, deny it to your face, and expect you to pay them $150 per hour.

I do not change my own oil and maintain my cars because I want to; I do it because I have peace of mind knowing what has been done and how. There is a Chevrolet dealership less than a mile from my home; I wouldn't let them air up my kid's bike tires; and this is sad because my wife and I USED TO BE good customers there. They totally destroyed their own credibility, not once, but too many times to recall. Rant over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obligatory weekly

THIS DEALER SUCKS THREAD........

Drain a quart out and go on with your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back