DNA testing - Ancestry, 23andMe...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
23 and me is owned by the x wife of one of the Google founders (they were still married when she started it). Do you really want to give them more info on you- they already know too much...

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I can think of no better way for Government to get your DNA on record and for you to pay for the testing.
I have been thinking about that for years.How about licking envelopes on government mailings.

I can't get over how many people willingly allow a listening device in their home and most other parts of their lives.

Now they have them sending in DNA samples.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I can think of no better way for Government to get your DNA on record and for you to pay for the testing.
I have been thinking about that for years.How about licking envelopes on government mailings.

I believe that's how they caught the uni-bomber-Ted Kaczynski.

Oh that puts me at ease. I was skeptical at first about the basic concept of dedicated listening AI robots, since SmartPhones werent enough, but now that an article tells me it's just internet conspiracy and tin foil, my diligence has been completely anesthetized. We need more "Smart" things. I won't be happy until everything is "SMART". Who wouldn't want SMART STUFF!?

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Oh that puts me at ease. I was skeptical at first about the basic concept of dedicated listening AI robots, since SmartPhones werent enough, but now that an article tells me it's just internet conspiracy and tin foil, my diligence has been completely anesthetized. We need more "Smart" things. I won't be happy until everything is "SMART". Who wouldn't want SMART STUFF!?

That's the thing....some don't understand. You are on the Internet, probably have a cell phone, and Equifax has all your own personal data (assuming you financed SOMETHING-at some point in your life).

You don't have any privacy.

Originally Posted By: CKN

I seriously think some on here should move to Bangladesh...no privacy concerns there.
Can you imagine how many people there would be happy to accept a tinfoil hat and a home in the U.S.!!

Last edited:

Ain't that the truth. Even still, the very last thing I want to do is make their personal data mining efforts easy for them.

Originally Posted By: Al
Bangladeshno no privacy concerns there.

I doubt that. The populous Indian continent is one of the largest targets of data gathering. Do you understand business?

Also, why the need to be condescending? It's not even original condescension, it's the absolute most cliche, worn out, go-to brand of condescension that screams naivete more than anything else.

I did a DNA test and was told that I had more Neanderthal DNA then 71 % of people they have ever tested.
Now that i'm proud of.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: marine65
I did a DNA test and was told that I had more Neanderthal DNA then 71 % of people they have ever tested.
Now that i'm proud of.
thumbsup2.gif

Was that a marine joke?

I doubt that.

There are no privacy concerns because there is no privacy.
smile.gif

I've often wondered what the point of this was.
Unless your family history is obscured with many forgotten relatives and passing sires of offspring, you probably already know where your people came from as well as when and maybe even the ship they sailed on.
We already know these things in our family and needed no genetic testing for the purpose.
Anyway, what difference would it make one way or the other?
As I'm fond of telling people, we're all Americans and there were no hominids native to this continent.

DNA test results, as pertaining to ancestry, are derived from probability-based algorithms and based on a sliding confidence scale. The results are really pretty meaningless beyond going back more than 7 generations.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I've often wondered what the point of this was.
Unless your family history is obscured with many forgotten relatives and passing sires of offspring, you probably already know where your people came from as well as when and maybe even the ship they sailed on.
We already know these things in our family and needed no genetic testing for the purpose.
Anyway, what difference would it make one way or the other?
As I'm fond of telling people, we're all Americans and there were no hominids native to this continent.

For my family? Sure, it's novelty really, we already had a very well researched family tree that goes back hundred and hundreds of years. This was a gift, so my sister did it.

Now, my wife, I've been trying to convince her to get it done. There are a lot of unknowns in her family tree, mostly surrounding her native heritage, of which nobody in her family seems to have any knowledge. Her mom's family traces back quite well, I was able to get back to the 1700's no problem, but her dad's family, on his mom's side, dead-ends with her parent's parents. They do not exist other than in name in the record books. My theory is that these were converted Micmac that were given anglophone names as part of their conversion to Christianity. Then Ancestry version of the DNA test gives you people you are related to, which also may help here with her.

Some families have rumours of "somebody in the woodpile" and the like as well, which these tests can work to dispel or confirm as another poster touched on.

Originally Posted By: thooks
I can't get over how many people willingly allow a listening device in their home and most other parts of their lives.

Now they have them sending in DNA samples.

Are you talking about an Echo or your cellphone?

Originally Posted By: CT8

I believe that's how they caught the uni-bomber-Ted Kaczynski.

I thought his family turned him in after recognizing his style of writing.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I doubt that.

There are no privacy concerns because there is no privacy.
smile.gif

Yeah, I don't really understand. What's the big deal? So what if they have your info? If anyone on here was really worried about this stuff, they'd stay off this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back