Need an oil recomendation 2.3 Mazda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks:

I have an 09 2.3 Mazda that sits a lot. (Under 7K year mostly around town). It takes 5w 20 (mostly bulk oil from my local shop), and has about 90k miles. It does not burn oil. Quaker State green bottle is in there now. The internal is usually a year rather than miles.

Synthetic is so cheap, I'm going to upgrade to that. I have some Napa synthetic from the last sale that I'm going to run next. Pennzoil platinum is cheap with the rebate - but seems like overkill.

I had the value cover off and everything looks really clean.

Anyone care to weigh in with a rec?

Any synthetic meeting Dexos1 Gen2 ratings will be fine.
NAPA, Pennzoil, whatever is cheapest ....

If it were my car, I would consider running a 5W-30

We have an '09 Mazda 5 with the same Duratec 2.3. We've had the vehicle since 4 years old/52K km, and it's always used oil - up to a litre every 4000 km (approximately a quart in 2500 miles).

I started out using 5W-20 (the factory specification) while the vehicle still had powertrain warranty, and had it changed twice @ the dealer. They used QS once, and Mazda-branded (PetroCan?) the 2nd time, both full synthetics.

After the warranty expired I moved to Mobil 1 0W-30, which didn't seem to slow consumption much, and then Mobil 1 0W-40. The 0W-40 seems to have worked, with consumption much lower now. I should change the PCV valve (which involves pulling the intake manifold); I realize that using a thicker oil is just treating the symptom.

Because your engine doesn't use oil, you'd likely be fine with a synthetic 5W-20, 0W-30, or 5W-30. (Per the owner's manual, 5W-30 is acceptable, I think for Mexico.) A 0W-20 might be good too, but the parts man at my dealership said that Mazda had not back-spec'd that engine to 0W-20 and advised against it.

Anyway, that's my experience. Basically it comes down to what brand you're comfortable with. Mobil 1 comes on sale regularly here, and is always available, so I settled on it.

@Chester; 09 Mazda6 with 2.3 does not exist, and you should know better! LoL

I'm running dino on mine I am perfectly fine with it because I'm change it often and the car is on the move constantly.

If I'd switch, I'd use Valvoline 5W-20HM

I agree with running synthetic in order to avoid having to change the PCV valve often...(in other words dino would protect fine but synthetic will probably keep things a bit cleaner at a 7K OCI)....since the PCV valve is a PITA to change (same as the Duratec in my 2014 Focus) I'm using synthetic....
PS: I don't think a dexos G2 is needed since it's not a turbo....I plan on using all the dexos non-G2 5w20 that I got on CLEARANCE...

Originally Posted By: Chester11
sorry for the typos - 07 2.3.

coffee finally kicked in....

just kidding!

those Duratechs 2.0L, 2.3L and 2.5L are some of the best engines in the industry; I think like someone has said before, anything you chose you cannot go wrong with; mine does not burn nor leak oil after all these miles

Cheapest Dexos approved 5W-20 oil you can find. If it ever starts to use oil, go to 5W-30. When the seals start leaking go to HM 5W-30 Let us know in 10 years how it went.

Last edited:
I'd just switch to Maxlife semi-syn in whatever grade you want. Oil is good enough
smile.gif

I had a 2004 focus ZTS with the 2.3. I assume pretty similar if not the same engine. It always had Mobil 1 since new, and was sold at 150k miles. 3rd gear was giving out
smirk.gif

I ran that thing pretty hard, and the motor never had a problem. That engine was a trooper for the abuse it got.

yes I pretty much lucked into this car - only engine complaint is that it vibrates slightly at stop lights when the engine fan is on. it has not had it easy (rental car, driven around Baltimore / DC beltway, street parking).

thanks for the recommendations folks. I have a feeling the motor will outlast the frame and trans.

Originally Posted By: miden851
Originally Posted By: Chester11
sorry for the typos - 07 2.3.

coffee finally kicked in....

just kidding!

those Duratechs 2.0L, 2.3L and 2.5L are some of the best engines in the industry; I think like someone has said before, anything you chose you cannot go wrong with; mine does not burn nor leak oil after all these miles

They really are. I owned a 2007 Focus with 175K(totaled last June), My present 2007 Fusion 2.3, and my 2017 Fusion 2.5 Duratech engines. All have performed great with very few problems. Oil used was M1 0-20 of course with my normal 10K OCI.

Right on Tig1.

Those Ford duratec motors are very, very good. And the Mobil 1 0w20 will be a great oil for that car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back