Well, my stash just hit 100 quarts. Is that a lot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a Mobil 1 jug + filter at Autozone for $29.99 to get the $17 rebate today at lunch. I keep up with my stash in a spreadsheet and realized that I just went over 100 quarts. I should probably stop now. I'm curious though: is 101 quarts small potatoes on BITOG? Or is that a lot? FWIW, I maintain 4 cars and only buy oil when I come across a clearance or an awesome rebate.

Heh. Yeah, just 4 vehicles. But when synthetic gets to $2/qt it is hard not to pick some up. I used to just buy oil when I needed it, but I inevitably paid full price. Even though I've got lots on hand, I'm paying far less per quart than I would've.

The Havoline syn 5 quart jugs were only $10 a while back at O'Reilly. So yeah, I ended up buying 6. :) The Maganatec quarts were either $1 or $2 a couple of years ago at the AZ clearance. The 10W40 syn Castrol and M1 were $2/quart this past January at the AZ clearance. The M1 EP was gotten with a rebate AND with a special "pick up" price of $15 at Walmart. The M1 AFE was picked up today along with a M1 filter and the final price for BOTH will be $13 after rebate. You can see the pattern. :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
I'm curious though: is 101 quarts small potatoes on BITOG? Or is that a lot?
Considering that my 'stash' is about 0.5 quarts, then yes, 101 quarts sounds like a lot.
smile.gif

No way man, not at the price you pay for it.
My stash is smaller than yours and I have not been purchasing oil much in the past year of so to use some up
As long as you use it, or give it away as I sometimes do, that is not too much in my opinion

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
No way man, not at the price you pay for it.
My stash is smaller than yours and I have not been purchasing oil much in the past year of so to use some up
As long as you use it, or give it away as I sometimes do, that is not too much in my opinion

Yeah, that's exactly right. At this price I can help people out too like you say. If my brother-in-law needs to "borrow" 5 quarts, I'd just give it to him. If my son's girlfriend (who is a poor college student like him) needs an oil change, I can hook her up pretty painlessly. I kind of have an unwritten rule where I won't pay more the $2 or $2.50 for synthetic. It makes it like a game. I have plenty of shelving in my garage, so no worries there. ;-)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
What's the 10W-30 and 10W-40 for?

I plan to run the 10W40 in the Santa Fe. At 210K+ miles it uses a bit of oil. Those old Hyundais spec up to 20w50 depending on temperature. I live in Texas, so 10W40 will be great for it. I may also use it in the Chevy Trailblazer (either straight, or thinned out with a few quarts of 0W20).

I'll run the 10W30 in any of them but the Highlander. I stick with 0W20 in the Highlander for now.

Last edited:
67 total qts here that I paid $13 for and full synthetic.

25 qts Idemitsu 0w20 from AA $13 on clearance.

6 qts PUP 5w20 from brother who now has free oil changes from dealer. So no use for anymore.

36 qts 5w30 Shell Rotella T5 Multi-Vehicle. Freebie on promotion hook up.

Camry needs oil change soon so number will drop by 5. I went from having no stash to a pretty good size one in no time.

Ive been getting rid of some of my Havoline to clear room for better oils like PP. I did have about 12 jugs of Havoline, been making quite some profit selling them at $15 a jug...

Originally Posted By: Saul
Ive been getting rid of some of my Havoline to clear room for better oils like PP. I did have about 12 jugs of Havoline, been making quite some profit selling them at $15 a jug...

Are you selling them on CL? Thank you.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Unbelievable.......

Why?
He has a hyundai like you.
And a large family.
And it is really not a large $$$ hobby. ($200-$300?)

And I like the 2-2.50/quart rule...

My stash is only one gallon of 5w30 Quaker Synthetic. 4 years old. And 2.5 gallons of Valvo Maxlife ATF.

P.S. When I moved from my house to my apartment, I give the metal guy on the street 3 gallons of green coolant and about 4 gallons of 10w40 (found at autozone clearance) for his old Ford. The look on his face was priceless. I think he first thought I'm giving him used oil....

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Saul

Are you selling them on CL? Thank you.

FB Marketplace

What happens when the newest bestes ,new fangled oil comes on the market that actually reduces engine and tire wear ! What then?

Originally Posted By: CT8
What happens when the newest bestes ,new fangled oil comes on the market that actually reduces engine and tire wear ! What then?

Lol. I'm driving a 16 year old truck. But if they put it on clearance for $2/quart I'll buy some. ;-)

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: CKN
Unbelievable.......

Why?
He has a hyundai like you.
And a large family.
And it is really not a large $$$ hobby. ($200-$300?)

And I like the 2-2.50/quart rule...

My stash is only one gallon of 5w30 Quaker Synthetic. 4 years old. And 2.5 gallons of Valvo Maxlife ATF.

P.S. When I moved from my house to my apartment, I give the metal guy on the street 3 gallons of green coolant and about 4 gallons of 10w40 (found at autozone clearance) for his old Ford. The look on his face was priceless. I think he first thought I'm giving him used oil....

Yeah, I mean I do it to save money. If I can get synthetic for $2/quart I'll do it because I know I'll use it. I do the same thing with athletic/running shoes. If I can get some I really like on clearance for $25-30 at a closeout place like Marshalls or TJ Maxx I'll buy them and put them up in the closet. Then when I need "new" shoes I'll pull them out instead of going out to pay $70-80 for a new pair. I have 3 pair still in the box in my closet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back