DNA testing - Ancestry, 23andMe...etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I believe there might have been a thread on this in the past? My sister got the 23andMe kit for Christmas from a friend and just got her results back, which seem to align reasonably well with the known family history.

My dad's dad's family is British, my dad's mom's family is British.

My mom's mom's family is Scottish and Irish, my mom's dad's family is German and French.

These are the results:

Anybody else toy around with this? How close did your results align with your family history?

I got to do one for free due to a health condition I have. The ancestry results were as expected although it claimed I was 1% northern European which I find hard to believe. (I'm 100% Asian)

JohnnyJohnson said:
I can think of no better way for Government to get your DNA on record and for you to pay for the testing. [/quote ]

Not if you keep your tinfoil hat on.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I can think of no better way for Government to get your DNA on record and for you to pay for the testing.
If the government needs your dna sample, they will get it, regardless, so no need to worry about that.

Mine lined up pretty well with known family history as well. It also gave evidence to support an old family legend that we've not been able to verify otherwise. I wouldn't rely on these reports as 100% accurate, but they can be very informative and interesting.

My brother and sister both had theirs done recently and they are very close but not exact. My brother gave me the kit for Christmas and I thought it shouldn't show much of a difference between siblings but I thanked him and will do the test.

Coincidentally, my BIL gave my wife one for Christmas. As both were adopted, their results could be much more interesting.

So just like that, you're going to leave us hanging?
We all love legends...
Originally Posted By: 28oz
Mine lined up pretty well with known family history as well. It also gave evidence to support an old family legend that we've not been able to verify otherwise. I wouldn't rely on these reports as 100% accurate, but they can be very informative and interesting.

Originally Posted By: Danh
JohnnyJohnson said:
I can think of no better way for Government to get your DNA on record and for you to pay for the testing. [/quote ]

Not if you keep your tinfoil hat on.

where is antique when we need him?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I got to do one for free due to a health condition I have. The ancestry results were as expected although it claimed I was 1% northern European which I find hard to believe. (I'm 100% Asian)

Marco-Polo

People did move around in the old days, it just took longer. The Vikings did a lot of "intermingling."
laugh.gif

So I was just reading an article on how kids of sperm donors are tracking down their donors with this kind testing. The actual donor doesn't need to submit their DNA but just a close relative and some googling does the rest... Seems hard to believe that lots of people sign something in clear language that allows others to search their DNA profile in detail?
What's included in the paper work for this?

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Coincidentally, my BIL gave my wife one for Christmas. As both were adopted, their results could be much more interesting.

My five year old is adopted. We know quite a bit about his biological mother's side, but not much about his biological father's. We sent his spit sample off about a month ago, so it will be interesting to see the results.

Last edited:
My wife was adopted and we found her birth father (now deceased) and his family on Ancestry.com. Nothing but joy for her in finding two sisters and a houseful of cousins.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
So just like that, you're going to leave us hanging?
We all love legends...
Originally Posted By: 28oz

LOL. The legend, story, whatever involved a Native American (supposedly, a prostitute) and her child which was supposedly at least partial African. Being a descendant, my DNA did show small amounts of Native American and African. Far from proof of the story, but it does lend it evidence.

Originally Posted By: Cadenza
My wife was adopted and we found her birth father (now deceased) and his family on Ancestry.com. Nothing but joy for her in finding two sisters and a houseful of cousins.

That's awesome!

I haven't bothered on these, maybe someday, but not sure it will tell me much.

I did get lucky: someone about a century ago got commissioned to look up the family surname, and as such I am able to look back about 350 years (they published a book), at least in terms of the family surname. Turns out, the family has been in New England for a long time.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
So I was just reading an article on how kids of sperm donors are tracking down their donors with this kind testing. The actual donor doesn't need to submit their DNA but just a close relative and some googling does the rest... Seems hard to believe that lots of people sign something in clear language that allows others to search their DNA profile in detail?
What's included in the paper work for this?

The glare of your tinfoil hat is blinding me. Can you imagine the laughter on a doner's lawyer when someone tried to cash in on a claim because of a "relative's" DNA. Hint:the doner does not intend to give his DNA and it can't be required in a CIVIL case.

I would also tell you that your electric company has your SS# as do a multitude of businesses. I hope you don't have a stroke over that info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back