2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU 3.6 Pentastar, 2007 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the factory fill oil, with only 2007 miles. I replaced it with Mobil 1 EP 0w20 and a Fram Ultra Guard oil filter. I'll run it for at least 4,000 miles, maybe 5k, before changing and doing another UOA. I look forward to reading comments and analysis.

wLOGsMJ.png

Last edited:
Smart move getting those break in wear metals out early.
wink.gif
I'm surprised the copper is as low as it is. Mine was quite a bit higher. Maybe they changed the oil cooler for the 2018 PUG from what they were using in 2016? I agree with keeping the next oci short too. I'd drop it before their suggested 4K miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Smart move getting those break in wear metals out early.
wink.gif
I'm surprised the copper is as low as it is. Mine was quite a bit higher. Maybe they changed the oil cooler for the 2018 PUG from what they were using in 2016?
Yeah, lol, it took patience. The wear metals were dancing around in my head as much as they were in the engine! I also didn't like having the Mopar oil filter in there, which I believe to be a Purolator, due to the wavy pleats and construction. I wanted a filter in which I would have great confidence.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Are universal averages for the same (as in Pentastar or Wrangler), similar (as in V6), or all engines?

IIRC they're for the 3.6L across the product line. I bet you're one of the first, if not the first UOA for a 2018 JL Wrangler. Congrats!!

After 3 oil changes and 5K miles my Copper was 145 for a 3K run. That leads me to think they changed the filter housing/oil cooler design as part of the PUG upgrade.

What oil filter are you planning using?

Last edited:
Are universal averages for the same (as in Pentastar or Wrangler), similar (as in V6), or all engines?

IIRC they're for the 3.6L across the product line. I bet you're one of the first, if not the first UOA for a 2018 JL Wrangler. Congrats!!

After 3 oil changes and 5K miles my Copper was 145 for a 3K run. That leads me to think they changed the filter housing/oil cooler design as part of the PUG upgrade.

What oil filter are you planning using?

A Fram Ultra Guard XG11665 is in there now. That's what I'm planning to run for the forseeable future.

I'll be using the XG-11665 filters as well. I grabbed a few on Ebay for a good price. The Mopar filters were OK, but my feelings seem to mirror yours about continuing to use them.

Drive it in good health!!

I'll be using the XG-11665 filters as well. I grabbed a few on Ebay for a good price. The Mopar filters were OK, but my feelings seem to mirror yours about continuing to use them.

Yeah, I just don't like the wavy pleats. I'm sure it works fine, but at almost $50k for this machine, I want a filter that not only performs well, but looks like it was put together well.

I'm guessing the Mopar is a Purolator, because it is the only other filter I've seen with the same wavy pleats.

That 3.6 is supposed to be a good engine, Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep put it in a wide range of vehicles. What I don’t follow is why or how the oil viscosity is spec’d in the different applications. For example, my 2016 jku calls for 5w20 but states 5w30 is ok, my dads 2017 Grand Cherokee calls for 0w40, and now what seems to be the same engine is spec’d for 0w20. Go figure.

Yeah, I just don't like the wavy pleats. I'm sure it works fine, but at almost $50k for this machine, I want a filter that not only performs well, but looks like it was put together well.

I'm guessing the Mopar is a Purolator, because it is the only other filter I've seen with the same wavy pleats.

My guess is the Mopar filter is a Purolator as well. While I didn't have any problems yet, and may never, I decided not to tempt fate and made the change to the Ultra. I'm done with Purolator, and if Fram screws up I'll be done with them too.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: barber613
That 3.6 is supposed to be a good engine, Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep put it in a wide range of vehicles. What I don’t follow is why or how the oil viscosity is spec’d in the different applications. For example, my 2016 jku calls for 5w20 but states 5w30 is ok, my dads 2017 Grand Cherokee calls for 0w40, and now what seems to be the same engine is spec’d for 0w20. Go figure.

Does your dad's GC have the 3.6L engine? My 2016 Rubicon calls for 5W20 and says 5W30 is OK in the Owners Manual.

The Grand Cherokees standard engine is the 3.6, the only difference I know of is the GC gets its engine from a Mexican plant and the Wranglers engines come from a Michigan plant. Or so I’ve been told.

Speaking of filters , where would the K&N filter rate among the other and the others mentioned earlier in thread?

Is your dad's GC an SRT? That should be the only one that calls for 0w-40.

Negative on the SRT.

Then you'll want to double-check what it calls for, should be 0w-20 as per the owner's manual (2017 Grand Cherokee):

I'll have him look into that, the oil fill cap is marked 0w40. Possibly wrong from factory

That'd be an SRT oil fill cap, like mine (sorry for the bad pic):

I'll have him look into that, the oil fill cap is marked 0w40. Possibly wrong from factory

I'd say it has the wrong fill cap if it says 0w40.

The Grand Cherokees standard engine is the 3.6, the only difference I know of is the GC gets its engine from a Mexican plant and the Wranglers engines come from a Michigan plant. Or so I’ve been told.

Speaking of filters , where would the K&N filter rate among the other and the others mentioned earlier in thread?

The Pentastar Upgrade, or PUG, is in the Grand Cherokee and new Wrangler. Those engines, at least initially, were sourced from Mexico. I say originally, because there was rumor of problems causing them to switch to engines made in the US factory, but I think the rumor is [censored] for several reasons, first being that the US factory, to my knowledge, has not begun to produce the PUG yet, but still makes the "old" Pentastar. The other reason is that I have a Mexican built PUG in my JL and it has been flawless, so far.

Wear metals are not much different from the apx. 2,000 mile FF UOA on my wife's 2017 3.6 PUG (posted sometime in March 2017). I did the next change after 3,000 miles and looks like I may be settling into 5,000 mile OCI's. May try extending it a bit further based on UOA's but the 5K interval is easier to remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back