Looking for a heavy 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone wanted to find the heaviest 5w-20 synthetic engine oil, what test or rating should you look for? Would be looking at the big name brand synthetic oils such as Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Castrol Edge, etc.

Heaviest 5W20:
My first guess would have been Castrol GTX 5W20 and according to this it is by a small margin. This may help however, it is from 2014:
2014:
http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html

2017:
http://pqiadata.org/Castrol_GTX_5W20.html

Lightest 5W30:
And if someone were to ask about the thinnest 5W30, I would have to guess Havoline 5W30 but, I'd have to search.

Look how close this Havoline 5W30 is to Castrol GTX 5W20(SN-older sample):
http://www.pqiamerica.com/TexacoHavoline.htm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LotI
Looking at kV100, Castrol GTX Magnatec 0w-20 is up there at 9.1.

Gold bottle 5w-30 QSUD is at 10.19, Havoline Pro DS is 10.7

I assume they're much newer samples?

This was fun!
laugh.gif

My first post was brief but the OP needs to look at 2 numbers to decide if an oil is “thick”

KV100- the viscosity of the oil at 100C, basically its own internal friction resisting gravity at normal operating temp.

HT/HS(or just HTHS) more accurately represents what a fluid does under pressure in an ICE bearing or ring pack. The test is done at 150C

HTHS

Since every viscosity is a range, you might consider a 30wt that is formulated on the lower end of the range.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Since every viscosity is a range, you might consider a 30wt that is formulated on the lower end of the range.

Exactly, if I wanted a heavy 5W20, I would probably end up getting a light 5W30.

Look at the KV100 Viscosity
M1 5W20 = 8.9 cSt (ILSAC)
M1 5W30 = 11 cSt (ILSAC)
Edge 5W30 A3/B4 = 12.0 cSt (Euro oil)
The above seem fairly typical to me, but I find Pennzoil Platimum fairly light for its grade
PP 5W30 = 10.3 cSt

Rounding viscosity to the nearest whole number you get: 9, 10, 11, 12 cSt above. Take your pick.

I would surmise the OP needs a 20 for warranty purposes but isn't too keen on 20's. At least that is where I would be if asking that question.

Castrol would be a good place to start.

Not looking at any results of tests of oil but just doing a shake of a bottle on the shelf I would go with Castrol. Pennzoil 5w20 looks like water in the bottle compared to Castrol being more stout a liquid in the bottle when shaking the two. Unscientific I know but it was just my observation when trying to shake the two after reading that Castrol is a bit thick for grade. A bottle of GTX white bottle now resides in by stash.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I would surmise the OP needs a 20 for warranty purposes but isn't too keen on 20's. At least that is where I would be if asking that question.

Castrol would be a good place to start.

Ahhh, you are close! Vehicle is a 2011 Toyota Tundra 4wd with the 5.7L engine. Vehicle has been out of warranty for about a year now. OM calls for 5w-20 or 0w-20. I have been running mostly 5w-20 Mobil 1, PP, and Edge. Will be towing longer distances this spring and summer and will be traveling I-95 between VA and GA quite a bit. The OM does state, "an oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions". I wish the manual would have given a more specific viscosity recommendation, as I think a 5w-30 would offer more protection.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
A heavy 5W-20? That would be 5W-30.

I was gonna say that.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'd expect Redline's 5w-20 to be the heaviest.

Yep, 2.9 HTHS is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back