BMW TwinPower 5W-30 vs GC 0W-40 LL01 '07 BMW 328i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

My first post, great site!

Have 2007 BMW 328i coupe with 55000 mile. Has always had oil from dealer, BMW TwinPower 5W-30 blue bottle.
Manual only lists 5W-30 LL01.

I cannot locate any oil that is suitable for my vehicle in the 5W-30 LL-01 grade other than at the dealer.

Would there be any negative effects to using GC 0W-40? I only drive the vehicle in the summer, but am a
bit concerned with switching the oil on an older vehicle like this and concerned the grade is much different
that what is specified for my vehicle.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thx

Originally Posted By: 12sleder
Hello,

My first post, great site!

Have 2007 BMW 328i coupe with 55000 mile. Has always had oil from dealer, BMW TwinPower 5W-30 blue bottle.
Manual only lists 5W-30 LL01.

I cannot locate any oil that is suitable for my vehicle in the 5W-30 LL-01 grade other than at the dealer.

Would there be any negative effects to using GC 0W-40? I only drive the vehicle in the summer, but am a
bit concerned with switching the oil on an older vehicle like this and concerned the grade is much different
that what is specified for my vehicle

Anyone have any thoughts?

No. The specification is the specification (Longlife-01), not the grade. Any oil that meets Longlife-01 has a minimum HTHS and as a result even if there are multiple grades that meet the specification they are going to be very similar in viscosities. Use any Longlife-01 oil you wish, my philosophy is that you use the cheapest one you can find that actually carries the spec. Just make sure it doesn't say "suitable for" or some other weasel wording. For me that is Castrol 0W-40 from Walmart which one of the finest motor oils on the market at a great Walmart price
wink.gif

And as to your second point, the two grades are not much different at all.

LL-01 has multiple allowable grades. Use as you see fit. a 0w-40 is a great choice.

Thank you everyone for the quick replies. I'll start using GC 0W-40. Maybe it will quiet the lifters down on startup.

Originally Posted By: 12sleder
Thank you everyone for the quick replies. I'll start using GC 0W-40. Maybe it will quiet the lifters down on startup.

Best thing for that is a good hard, highway drive. There may even be a service bulletin describing it. Caused by air in the lifters.

The loud noise youre hearing thinking is the lifters is most likely the injectors clicking away, that will not change with oil type.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audios
The loud noise youre hearing thinking is the lifters is most likely the injectors clicking away, that will not change with oil type.

No, it's the [censored] design of the N52 cylinder head. Some do it, some don't.

My injectors are insanely noisy on cold starts when ambient is below 20*F but quiet down as they get warm. None of the fuel additives I have tried helped, but it doesn't affect mileage. I can still pull down 30mpg even when they are all clickety-clackety
smile.gif

Caused by frequent short tripping.

Ticking Noise SBSI B 11 09 07 -N52 Engine HVA System

Quote:

SUBJECT
Intermittent Hydraulic Valve Adjuster (HVA): "Ticking" or "Rattling" Noises

MODEL
All E82, E83, E85, E86, E88, E60, E61, E70, E90, E91, E92, and E93 with the N51, N52 or N52K engines

SITUATION
An occasional ticking or rattling noise from the HVA elements may occur during cold engine starts or frequent short-distance driving.

CAUSE
In these situations, the HVA elements may not yet have been supplied with sufficient amounts of air-free oil. This condition will not cause any damage to the engine, and usually remedies itself with a longer driving distance or operating times at full operating temperature.

CORRECTION
In the event of a customer complaint, please perform the following the HVA bleeding procedure.

PROCEDURE
Important notes:

The bleed time may take anywhere from between two minutes and (in rare cases) to a maximum of 30 minutes. This procedure is to be performed on a level surface with the vehicle stationary, and in a properly ventilated area.

Procedure preconditions:

Engine oil level correct – neither underfilled nor overfilled

Engine running at operating temperature

Bring the engine up to an operating speed (no load) of 2000-3000 rpm and maintain this condition for three minutes (bleeding procedure).

Let the engine idle for 15-30 seconds and reevaluate whether the noise is still present or not.

Engine quiet – procedure is finished.

Engine noise is still present – repeat the procedure; perform steps #1 and #2 up to a maximum of 5 times.

Only if the noise remains after performing the bleeding procedure 5 times: proceed by performing the procedure for a final time, also at an engine operating speed of 2000-3000 rpm, but for a total time duration of 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Short tripping and keeping it at low RPM are contributing factors. The N52 likes to be revved. Drive it on the highway for a bit at higher RPM and it will quiet down. My GF's 2006 325xi has pretty quiet lifters at 130k miles, but it pretty much sees the red line daily.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
My GF's 2006 325xi has pretty quiet lifters at 130k miles, but it pretty much sees the red line daily.

In case of M/T explain to your GF that she can try to shift into higher gear(s)
smile.gif

Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 or Castrol Edge 0w-40. But Shell Helix Ultra is better for the crank case ventilation

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 or Castrol Edge 0w-40. But Shell Helix Ultra is better for the crank case ventilation

I'm sure I'll get corrected if wrong but I don't think the Helix brand is sold in North America.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I'm sure I'll get corrected if wrong but I don't think the Helix brand is sold in North America.

Shell Helix is Pennzoil in NA, and they make the BMW OE oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Right, that may be true but as I noted the Helix brand is not sold here correct?

Right, that may be true but as I noted the Helix brand is not sold here correct?
\
BMW TPT is different then just regular Pennzoil.

And Shell is filling their oils for BMW.....Twinpower 5w30 is...

https://www.shell.com/motorist/oils-lubr...am-l-5w-30.html

Just changed oil in wife's 2011 528i with the usual GC 0w-40, which has been used since we bought the car with 35k on it. Got 61k on it now. Computer always shows oil at maximum level. Doesn't have dipstick, so I have to trust the computer, arrgh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back