Freedom Munitions New X-DEF Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried it yet? Opinions? Thanks
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

https://www.freedommunitions.com/ammunition/brands/x-def/9mm-luger-124-gr-hp-xdef-new-1.html

The X-DEF doesn't look too bad.

I've done a lot of research on defensive ammo, and always keep coming back to Federal HST ... for obvious reasons.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The X-DEF doesn't look too bad.

I've done a lot of research on defensive ammo, and always keep coming back to Federal HST ... for obvious reasons.
grin2.gif

Z06, I too am a true blue HST fan. But, I'm always open to other options if need be. I won't buy from FM's due to their outrageous shipping prices. I went to their website to look around (it's been awhile since I visited) and saw the new X-DEF ammo.

BTW, check out the ballistics on this 180 gr. HST rd. Great video, AWESOME background music. I have 150 rds. of this fine ammo!

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Has anyone tried it yet? Opinions?

Junk. A 124+P ammo and it only averages 1079 feet per second out of a 4 inch barrel? I don't think so Tim. A Speer Gold Dot 124+p does 1220 feet per second out of a 4 inch barrel. That's why it only got 11 inches in bare gel.

Do they use flash suppressed powders like the big guys? (doubt it) Do they put hundreds of thousands of dollars worth into R&D like the big guys? Doubt it. Do they seal the bullet AND the primer like the big guys? Doubt it.

Avoid.

Speer, Federal, Winchester, or Hornady for defensive ammo, with a strong preference for the first three.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Has anyone tried it yet? Opinions?

Junk. A 124+P ammo and it only averages 1079 feet per second out of a 4 inch barrel? I don't think so Tim. A Speer Gold 124+p does 1220 feet per second out of a 4 inch barrel. That's why it only got 11 inches in bare gel.

Do they use flash suppressed powders like the big guys? (doubt it) Do they put hundreds of thousands of dollars worth into R&D like the big guys? Doubt it. Do they seal the bullet AND the primer like the big guys? Doubt it.

Avoid.

Speer, Federal, Winchester, or Hornady for defensive ammo, with a strong preference for the first three.

Thanks BT.
When you were a LEO, what firearm did you carry, and with brand, gr. ammo?
Thanks.

Thanks BT.When you were a LEO, what firearm did you carry, and with brand, gr. ammo?

Three guns I carried on duty:

Glock 21 45ACP with Speer Gold Dot 200+p
Glock 19 9MM with Speer Gold Dot 124+p
Sig P226 9MM with Speer Gold Dot 124+p

Can't go wrong with Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST.

I've bought cases of each from www.sgammo.com - you may not want a case, but even their price for a box of 50 is les than half what my LGS want for the same ammo.

Currently, I've got:
9mm Speer Gold Dot 124
9mm Federal HST 124
.45 ACP Speer Gold Dot 230
.40 Federal HST 180
.40 Speer Gold Dot 165

The Freedom Ammo looks like loaded Gold Dots to me. Gold Dots are fine bullets, and typical of Freedom this stuff looks to be loaded pretty mild. That might be +p for Freedom but it is standard for about anyone else. I have no idea if they took the extra care carry/duty ammo deserves or not either.

Good find though I didn't even know they were making that stuff.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The Freedom Ammo looks like loaded Gold Dots to me.

According to the picture on their website, I agree. Those are definitely Gold Dots. Too bad they are loaded 150 FPS slower than the Speer load. The Standard pressure Speer load (non plus P) is even faster than the Freedom "+P" load. What a joke. They should be ashamed for even marketing this as a plus P load.

Just buy Speer Gold Dot 124+P if you want a good load.

xxdef-9mm_1.png.pagespeed.ic.rHE2KhDUGi.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back