Tundra Oil Change-Oil Mix!

Status
Not open for further replies.
62.5% Castrol 0w40
25% TGMO
12.5% Eneos 5/20(left over jug)

How many of you mix oils? With all the sales, 0w40, I figure some have to do it

Tundra pulling 21ft bassboat in southwest....highway speeds average about 80..

Last edited:
The IS is filled with Kendall GT, M1 TDT, M1 Euro, PP, Shield, VR1, DELO, Quicksilver, Magnatec...uhh can't remember what else...

Originally Posted By: FranklinJL

How many of you mix oils?

All the time.

I often use 0W-20 to "thin out" 15W-40 or 20W-50 oil that was bought on sale really cheap.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

How many of you mix oils?

All the time.

I often use 0W-20 to "thin out" 15W-40 or 20W-50 oil that was bought on sale really cheap.

+1 I do the same thing....I buy what's on sale, and figure it out later lol. What's usually on sale is really good stuff, like 0w40-various 50w oils, and most diesel stuff....

Originally Posted By: pda1122
I don’t get it. You just voided your warranty to save a few bucks? And in a $50,000+ rig?

I have yet to see a case of voided warranty due to oil viscosity. As a matter of fact - almost all owners manuals recommend a higher viscosity oil during towing or high heat conditions.

I don’t get it. You just voided your warranty to save a few bucks? And in a $50,000+ rig?

U'm, read your tundra owners manual. It says word for word that an oil with a higher viscosity may be used if operated at high speeds, or high loads, which towing here in AZ summers at 75-80 for 200 miles at a time, or making the run from Phoenix to Lake Mead when it's 110 is probably what the manual is referring to.

My dealer knows I use 30w and 40w oil, and they have no issues with it....said it was a good idea. They warranted my cam tower seal leak on my last tundra without issue

I've made a few runs to Lake Mead in the summer from Phoenix, and it's a hot (105-115) 295 mile run

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian

I have yet to see a case of voided warranty due to oil viscosity. As a matter of fact - almost all owners manuals recommend a higher viscosity oil during towing or high heat conditions.

yup, my RX says for towing or high speed to increase viscosity. The sky is the limit.

I have never mixed more than 2 diff oils and no problems. Nice truck and boat! Why use 0w anything in AZ weather?

Are you keeping a maintenance log? It’d be a hilarious sight to see the face of the person you give it to if you ever had a problem. 2 of this, 1 of that, 3 of these, etc... lol
I don’t think pulling a 3,000 lb bass boat is straining the engine at all in a 381 hp 5.7 liter engine. To each his own I guess, I’d just never do it myself in something I love.

62.5% Castrol 0w40
25% TGMO
12.5% Eneos 5/20(left over jug)

How many of you mix oils? With all the sales, 0w40, I figure some have to do it

Tundra pulling 21ft bassboat in southwest....highway speeds average about 80..

That will work well. The straight m1 0w40 is working very well in my 4Runner.

Nothing wrong with Frankenbrews from time to time. I normally use/blend the same name brand for it though -- PYB 5W20 with another Pennzoil product for example. It happens from time to time when you have single quarts laying around.

Dale

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back