Castrol Edge 0W40--some Belgian, some German?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to find an answer but couldn't. This isn't the question of the century, but still curious: The Castrol Edge 0W40 in the 5 quart bottles is made in Belgium. The Castrol Edge 0W40 in single quart bottles is made in Germany.

Is there any difference? I'm certainly no production or distribution engineer, but why would a company make what appears to be the same product, but a different quantity and container, in one place, and then a separate quantity and/or container in another? (unless it's something as simple as the quart machine is in Germany, and the 5 quart machine is in Belgium) (and I don't even know if it's being bottled across the pond, either).

If you know, lay it on me.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: funkymonkey1111
Is there any difference? I'm certainly no production or distribution engineer, but why would a company make what appears to be the same product, but a different quantity and container, in one place, and then a separate quantity and/or container in another?

I think they recently shifted production of it to Belgium. The 1qt bottles you are seeing may still be older stock, made in Germany.

As far as possible difference, see this recent thread:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...on_#Post4673596

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Well, the 5 L jugs here in Canada are all made in Germany. Just to make it extra confusing.

Yup. I just posted this in the other thread, but these are the jugs I bought at CT when they were on sale:

Wasn't the original Edge 0W40 Belgian made back when the "GC 0W30" was still in production? I remember it having an orange label while the GC had a red label.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Wasn't the original Edge 0W40 Belgian made back when the "GC 0W30" was still in production? I remember it having an orange label while the GC had a red label.

Correct. And then once GC kinda disappeared we started seeing the 0w-40 being produced in Germany IIRC.

If you look at Castrol's MSDS site, it appears there are different SDS's for the Belgium (BE) and German (DE) variants. These SDS's indicate different types and quantities of ingredients. I've only seen Belgium here in the PNW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
If you look at Castrol's MSDS site, it appears there are different SDS's for the Belgium (BE) and German (DE) variants. These SDS's indicate different types and quantities of ingredients. I've only seen Belgium here in the PNW.

Surprised they separately describe like that. I'd have thought they'd have wanted to give at least the illusion of brand consistency.

Some Thai, for a more exotic flavour?

All the Castrol stuff I see here is made in Thailand.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Some Thai, for a more exotic flavour?

All the Castrol stuff I see here is made in Thailand.

Is it hot?
smile.gif

Surprised they separately describe like that. I'd have thought they'd have wanted to give at least the illusion of brand consistency.

I think it's a compliance matter. They legally have to list what is in a particular hazardous material. So if BE- and DE-manufactured 0W-40 is different, then they need two separate SDS's.

I think it's a compliance matter. They legally have to list what is in a particular hazardous material. So if BE- and DE-manufactured 0W-40 is different, then they need two separate SDS's.

Must be, though it's been fairly convincingly stated on here that they are allowed A LOT of lattitude in these descriptions, so I'm still surprised the differences are so huge that they are compelled to acknowledge them.

Must be, though it's been fairly convincingly stated on here that they are allowed A LOT of lattitude in these descriptions, so I'm still surprised the differences are so huge that they are compelled to acknowledge them.

They are allowed a lot of leeway in the proportions, but zero in the actual hazardous material listed. You can’t falsify an SDS to say it does or does not contain a particular hazardous material. In this case, the types of PAO are completely different.

Two differece 0w-40. The German version have more pao. They have made some confusion here in EU too with the 0w-30 A5 API SL for Volvos(two difference 0w-30). What i hate with Castrol is that they change the formula all the time and thats why i stopped buy them.

If it still meets all the listed certifications on the bottle (which is a pretty good list), why does it matter what country or formulation they may use?

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
If it still meets all the listed certifications on the bottle (which is a pretty good list), why does it matter what country or formulation they may use?

All things held equal (in this case, the list of specifications and SAE grade), PAO will generally outperform Group III oil all around the board. There is a reason it is so expensive. PAO's advantage is very evident in cold-performance characteristics and resistance to shearing over time.

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
Two differece 0w-40. The German version have more pao. They have made some confusion here in EU too with the 0w-30 A5 API SL for Volvos(two difference 0w-30). What i hate with Castrol is that they change the formula all the time and thats why i stopped buy them.

Where do you get this info?

Isn't this an "oil is oil" argument that would apply to every brand out there?

Originally Posted By: funkymonkey1111

Isn't this an "oil is oil" argument that would apply to every brand out there?

Depends on how you look at it. Edge 0w40 is somewhat unique in that it meets many very stringent engine mfg specs. It's not just some basic API SN oil.

But, this is BITOG where even minute differences on paper will be argued to death.
smile.gif

I took these pics from the back of my Castrol 0W40 oil.The first pic is from an individual qt. container. The 2nd pic is from the back of a Castrol 0W40 5 qt. container of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back