Grilling chicken ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to batter or cover chicken in breadcrumbs and grill it right on the grill or do I need a pan?

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Is it possible to batter or cover chicken in breadcrumbs and grill it right on the grill or do I need a pan?

I have never tried this recipe. but always wanted to.
I know the web site is called "Naked Whiz", but there is no nudity on the site.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/thechicken.htm

you need to pound it thin and there is a reason grilled chicken is usually not breaded.

The problem with Chicken is the fat flare ups or outright fires! (on a BBQ)

I "par boil" the chicken in a covered casserole dish in the microwave! fat runs off and partially cooks meat!

The you can bread it and BBQ it tho I think the coating would burn.

A while back I decided to add either seasoning or Italian dressing and pre-cook in the microwave then BBQ
or apply a coating and "shake-n-bake" in the oven, turns out way better!

Easy way to defeat chicken fire on the grill....

Step#1. Set up your grill for two zones of cooking. One side for direct flame and the opposite side with no flame or heat aka as an indirect heat zone. If you have a gas grill with two burners... One of each side of a two sided grill.. turn on one side only. Leave the other side completely off. For charcoal grill... Make a small fire covering 1/3 of the cooking surface. Leaving the other 2/3 with no coals on it. Also.. put a aluminum tray underneath the indirect heat zone to catch any drippings. Keeps your grill clean underneath the cooking grate.

Step #2. When chicken is direct flame.. stay with it the ENTIRE time... Flip or turn over often.

Step#3. Once chicken is seared very nicely. Move to indirect heat away from direct flame. Close the grill completely.

Step#4. Cook chicken at indirect moderate heat temps on indirect heat 350-425°F until done.

Easy way to avoid fires, flare ups, and takes anxious times out of your cooking on any grill. You can walk away and not worry about food getting burned up if it is on indirect heat. I utilize this method for cooking burgers, steaks, chicken, fish and even hotdogs. Temperature can easily be modified by amount of charcoal or air supplied to the fire. On my grill I can get temps well above 800°F on the indirect heat side... Or as low as 240°F for slow smoking or cooking hotdogs, bacon, pork ribs, and or a spiral ham.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Easy way to defeat chicken fire on the grill....

Step#1. Set up your grill for two zones of cooking. One side for direct flame and the opposite side with no flame or heat aka as an indirect heat zone.

I grill chicken legs in a similar fashion, but I typically start with indirect heat first (about 40 mins at around 400F) and then direct heat for 10 mins (5 mins per side). I don't use breadcrumbs though. Wife usually marinates it the day before in yogurt and tandoori masala, and then straight to the grill it goes. Maybe I should try your method and do direct heat first.

The hardest part is finding chicken legs that did not come from chicken giants. I found a smaller Mediterranean grocery store near me that sells smaller ones - they marinate better and cook faster.

I like the searing done first.. I think it may well lock in the moisture better within the meat. I have done it with only indirect heat and found my chicken came out with a rubbery texture.

But hey... I ain't knocking doing it opposite my way
smile.gif

And I agree with you about finding the "right" sized chicken legs... I typically find rhe organic, free range, antibiotics free chicken to be smaller and a lot better tasting than the "other" chicken sold in stores. Worth tge extra cost for good chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back