15’ Focus 1.0 EcoBoost. M1 AFE 0w-20. 8500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
No coolant loss that I can see by looking at the tank. This oil saw temps down to about -20F and about 500 miles of towing. This is also the 945A spec version of M1 AFE 0w-20 that my owners manual says to use. I went way longer on this OCI than I planned, so I figured I’d get a UOA to see if that was a bad move.

Last edited:
For a small EB engine for the OCI mileage you did really well. The only negative is the sodium, but that could be from a previous oil you used that contained sodium as an additive. You don't have a high potassium level which would in dictate a coolant leak. I'm very impressed! I have a 2.3 EB engine that under summer highway driving held up good on Mobil 1 5W-30 for 7,000 miles, not so well on Motorcraft 5W-30 for 4,275 miles with normal late summer to early winter driving. I have Mobil 1 5W-30 in since Dec 5th and will change it in late May and do an UOA to see how it survived the worst of winter.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
What do U tow with a 1.0 Ford Focus!!?

You beat me to it!

X2

What in the wide, wide world of sports do you tow with a 1L turbo Focus?

Check it out!
laugh.gif

I pull an Aluma AE58. 5x8 enclosed, all aluminum. In the European owners manual, the max unbraked trailer weight is 1,400 lbs and the max tounge weght is 165 lbs. I make certain I stay under these numbers and it does it with ease. I have a really nice Westfalia hitch with a modified ball mount to accept a standard North American ball.

Originally Posted By: E365
I pull an Aluma AE58. 5x8 enclosed, all aluminum. In the European owners manual, the max unbraked trailer weight is 1,400 lbs and the max tounge weght is 165 lbs. I make certain I stay under these numbers and it does it with ease. I have a really nice Westfalia hitch with a modified ball mount to accept a standard North American ball.

Nice!
thumbsup2.gif

Last oil was Valvoline SynPower 5w-20. It appears that might have sodium in it.

I put in Havoline ProDS 5w-20 on this oil change. I just get whatever’s on sale!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
For a small EB engine for the OCI mileage you did really well. The only negative is the sodium, but that could be from a previous oil you used that contained sodium as an additive. You don't have a high potassium level which would in dictate a coolant leak. I'm very impressed! I have a 2.3 EB engine that under summer highway driving held up good on Mobil 1 5W-30 for 7,000 miles, not so well on Motorcraft 5W-30 for 4,275 miles with normal late summer to early winter driving. I have Mobil 1 5W-30 in since Dec 5th and will change it in late May and do an UOA to see how it survived the worst of winter.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: E365
Last oil was Valvoline SynPower 5w-20. It appears that might have sodium in it.

I put in Havoline ProDS 5w-20 on this oil change. I just get whatever’s on sale!
smile.gif

If it wasn't the new Dexos 1 Gen 2 version of the Valvoline SynPower then most likely that's where your sodium came from, no harm or problem.

Whimsey

The 1.0 has a ton of torque by 2000 RPM, so I bet towing that lightweight trailer is a breeze. If I didn't have a beater truck, I wouldn't hesitate to put a hitch on my Fiesta and get a little utility trailer.

Did you warm up the engine by driving it around before grabbing the oil sample? I didn’t do that on my last cycle and had fuel dilution for the first time.

Did not notice M2C945 FORD spec on new 0w 20 Containers ,single quart or 5 quarts its been omitted only 5w 20 shows M2C945 certs ? .New spec for 0w 20 is M2C947 per Ford ,on Mobil website .

Last edited:
^ I’m not sure what changed or why or when, but when I happened to buy my M1 AFE 0w-20 it had the 945A spec.

The 2017 Focus 1.0 actually changes spec away from 945A. Now it’s the 948B 5w-20 that was spec’d for this engine since new in Europe (2011/2012). 948B was always really hard to find in the USA. I’m hoping the dealers will start getting 948B.

Also, they added 947A 0w20 for cold climates for the 1.0 EcoBoost. "where the ambient temperature reaches -22.0°F (-30°C) or below."

I was looking for a Fiesta 1.0 because I like the premise and the MPGs....I have been scared off by reports of clutch problems in the Focus 1.0.....has anybody experience with this?
The Focus 1.0 is less appealing because of the additional weight.

Originally Posted by LEADED
Did not notice M2C945 FORD spec on new 0w 20 Containers ,single quart or 5 quarts its been omitted only 5w 20 shows M2C945 certs ? .New spec for 0w 20 is M2C947 per Ford ,on Mobil website .

Same here, I have NEVER seen a 0W-20 with the 945-A spec, anywhere.
confused2.gif
(Always thought that the 5W part was a written-in requirement of that spec.
21.gif
)

I did use the Motul Specific 5W-20 948-B spec for one earlier OCI.

I may try the 947-A M1 0W-20 EP anyway (or the Ravenol 0W-20 DFE if Blauparts decides to bring it into the country, still waiting to hear from them) for this next winter OCI (change early next month).
wink.gif

Originally Posted by pbm
I was looking for a Fiesta 1.0 because I like the premise and the MPGs....I have been scared off by reports of clutch problems in the Focus 1.0.....has anybody experience with this?
The Focus 1.0 is less appealing because of the additional weight.

I'd be more concerned with the coolant loss issues some of them had. Those 1.0s are under boost a LOT of the time and I would be leaning towards a slightly thicker oil for heat issues especially if I was towing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back