Let's pick my oil, 2012 Chevy Cruze 1.4 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to decide on what oil I'm going to be using in my 1.4T cruze. Currently it's at 52k on the odometer. I am not only trying to decide which one but also if I should deviate from the manufacturer viscosity recommended 5w30 or 0w30 in extreme cold is allowed.

So far I'm wanting to use Pennzoil Ultra 5w30, but might have to settle for the platinum if I shop locally. I am also considering flavors of Mobil 1.

Should I use a euro 0w30, 0w40, 5w40? I have only one jug of synthetic left in my stash, which is some older Edge 0w30...I'm definitely using it next unless someone thinks that's crazy?

I will be using the Mahle made in USA filter for now and will get the German made one next.

Currently on a Valvoline change from the previous owner that's at 65% OLM, but I'm about to get a free oil change from the dealer when they are repairing some minor cosmetic damage, so I will be running that at least a few thousand miles before the edge goes in. Lots of city miles, usually I do 12-15k per year.

My Dad has a 2012 Cruze with 1.4,

It’s tough on the oil, don’t run the OLM beyond 25%...

Use a full synthetic Dexos 1 rated oil, in 5W-30 or 0W-30 (only a few Dexos 1 0W-30 oils)

Bought my 2011 with about 7000 miles. Currently have 215,000. Ran QSUD 5w30 until about 120,000 then M1HM 5w30 until now. Current oil is my favorite but a 0w40 would be great for these engines as well. My OCI is 6000 - 7000 but that is all highway. Would cut back to 5000 for mostly city driving.

P.S. Car doesn't use any oil. I still tach it up to 6k once in a while and the thing still holds together.

Last edited:
Read your manual grasshopper. The proper oil is 5w-30.i If it gets to -30 C run 0-30. Your manual specifically says to not run 40 and 50 weights. Be careful on this blog because the heavy Vissers lurk.

SF

I don't think euro oil is necessary in the 1.4, just a full synthetic changed more often than the OLM will tell you to. And it's not unheard of to run something like Amsoil 0w30 but the enthusiast community doesn't really see any need to run thicker than 5w30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carbon12
Bought my 2011 with about 7000 miles. Currently have 215,000. Ran QSUD 5w30 until about 120,000 then M1HM 5w30 until now. Current oil is my favorite but a 0w40 would be great for these engines as well. My OCI is 6000 - 7000 but that is all highway. Would cut back to 5000 for mostly city driving.

P.S. Car doesn't use any oil. I still tach it up to 6k once in a while and the thing still holds together.

Ran mostly M1 EP .... tried PUP … tested louder … back to M1. At 90k switched to M1 0w40 like they do in Oz/other places.
My OLM is done around 7k … so almost due now and got a jug for $23 on sale …
Been buying Hengst filters off eBay …

Since it’s a turbo perhaps look for HTO-06 specification. I think a few popular 5W-30s carry it.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Since it’s a turbo perhaps look for HTO-06 specification. I think a few popular 5W-30s carry it.

An 18 y.o. Oil spec isn’t something to look up to. I would suggest Porsche A40 or VW 507 to look towards, in addition to the D1G2 that’s suggested for that motor.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

An 18 y.o. Oil spec isn’t something to look up to. I would suggest Porsche A40 or VW 507 to look towards, in addition to the D1G2 that’s suggested for that motor.

Those are largely mutually exclusive specs.

I was hoping more people would agree with me that I should use a euro 0w30/40. I'm already using my edges 0w30 so we'll see how it goes.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
M1 15w50

Lol no way

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Read your manual grasshopper. The proper oil is 5w-30.i If it gets to -30 C run 0-30. Your manual specifically says to not run 40 and 50 weights. Be careful on this blog because the heavy Vissers lurk.

SF

Yeah but we know the manual doesn't always have our best interest when it's written.

901Memphis,
GM Australia say to use a Dexos2 (not Dexos1) oil in that little turbo engine, as it's hard on oil.

Dexos2 is the Diesel engine (and high stress gas engine) oil, not to be confused with Dexos1-Gen2. It's effectively a Euro C3 oil, which is a mid-SAPS version of a Euro A3/B4 oil. The mid-SAPS is mostly for the DPF when used in diesel engines. All Dexos2 & C3 & A3/B4 oils have a HTHS > 3.5 cP, so they are a "thick" oil compared to an ILSAC Dexos1 oil. Typical Dexos2 oils here are either 5W30 or 5W40.

So I would have no problem running a Euro 0W40 A3/B4 oil in the Cruze 1.4 iTi engine, it's basically a high-SAPS Dexos2 oil, and the SAPS level is mostly about the DPF not a gas engine issue.

When I enquired about using a Dexos1 oil in the Australian 1.4 Cruze, the message I got back from GM-Australia is that it wouldn't meet their warranty requirements and that Dexos2 was required.

Any dexos2 oil in any of the grades GM licenses it in will be fine for your car with no problems. So simply shop for the best price on dexos2 you can get
smile.gif

There's Liqui Moly 4605 (the part number is actually #2244). Napa has it for $50 for the 5L jug (order part number AIC LM2244 if your local Napa doesn't have it in stock), or Amazon has it for $5.

Valvoline's MST 5w40 is also dexos2 and widely available. While they also make a 5w30 MST that's dexos2, I've only seen it at Napa for $9/qt, and it's not included in their sales like the more widely available 5w40 version.

Here is Valvoline's PDS that was updates about 2 weeks ago

Originally Posted By: SR5
901Memphis,
GM Australia say to use a Dexos2 (not Dexos1) oil in that little turbo engine, as it's hard on oil.

Dexos2 is the Diesel engine (and high stress gas engine) oil, not to be confused with Dexos1-Gen2. It's effectively a Euro C3 oil, which is a mid-SAPS version of a Euro A3/B4 oil. The mid-SAPS is mostly for the DPF when used in diesel engines. All Dexos2 & C3 & A3/B4 oils have a HTHS > 3.5 cP, so they are a "thick" oil compared to an ILSAC Dexos1 oil. Typical Dexos2 oils here are either 5W30 or 5W40.

So I would have no problem running a Euro 0W40 A3/B4 oil in the Cruze 1.4 iTi engine, it's basically a high-SAPS Dexos2 oil, and the SAPS level is mostly about the DPF not a gas engine issue.

When I enquired about using a Dexos1 oil in the Australian 1.4 Cruze, the message I got back from GM-Australia is that it wouldn't meet their warranty requirements and that Dexos2 was required.
+1 I’d use Australian oil specs.

I'm not exactly worried about the dexos spec, but I'm definitely using full synthetic or whatever high end oil I can get at Walmart most likely.

I guess using the Mobil 1 0w40 or Edge 0w30/40 isn't a bad idea.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'm not exactly worried about the dexos spec, but I'm definitely using full synthetic or whatever high end oil I can get at Walmart most likely.

I guess using the Mobil 1 0w40 or Edge 0w30/40 isn't a bad idea.

I have enough M1 0w40 and Delvac 1 5w40 to run my Cruze from 100k to 120k and start my Fusion on my 30 stash since it is also at 100k. 20’s move to Tahoe and GMC purrs on any oil the others leave it …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back