Do people still use Auto-RX? or API-SN oil only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time I used AutoRX was more than 10 years ago, back when my car was not that old yet (10 years).

Now it is 20 years old, 260k miles, burning oil, short trip, and just recovered from a head warp / gasket leak, I'm thinking about trying out something that can clean up the ring pack.

Would you say Auto-RX plus these days are still worth it? or frequent (i.e. every 2.5k miles) Pennzoil Platinum / Valvoline SynPower is good enough?

There's one member in this group that has thousands of posts and about a third of them are him hawking the stuff.
Yet at the same time, he says that additives are a complete waste of junk.
Go to the "OTC and third party additives" section of this site and read the very top post labeled "Auto RX" and you will see why it's not wise to do a negative reply on the product.

No personal experience with the product, but few members came clean and admitted getting free product for peddling this stuff the greatest since sliced bread. It was about that time that AutoRX stopped being a sponsor, lost mod protection and consequently fell off the radar of many topics.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Now it is 20 years old, 260k miles, burning oil, .... I'm thinking about trying out something that can clean up the ring pack?

You can try a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil for the last 200 miles before you change your oil.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Not very popular these days, a good piston soak would be the route I go along with 16oz Kreen in the oil for 1K.

Another excellent choice, though it can be harder to get for some.

Try a piston soak with M.M.O. -
if that doesn't work, try to source some KREEN.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Last time I used AutoRX was more than 10 years ago, back when my car was not that old yet (10 years).

Now it is 20 years old, 260k miles, burning oil, short trip, and just recovered from a head warp / gasket leak, I'm thinking about trying out something that can clean up the ring pack.

Would you say Auto-RX plus these days are still worth it? or frequent (i.e. every 2.5k miles) Pennzoil Platinum / Valvoline SynPower is good enough?

If you just had the engine apart for repairs (assuming you repaired the head warp/gasket leak)... and it's still burning oil and short tripping... why would you want to use a pricey syn oil? I'd want the lowest saps I could to protect the converter, and the lowest price option I could find.

Or else fix it right.

Not sure what else's you're aiming for. A chemical fix could be worth a try, like keen, or even a solvent flush perhaps...

I used Auto-RX back when it was the rage and I thought it to be a good product.
I will admit that the inventor and his buddy were a bit too aggressive about hawking it...

IMHO the best remedy for gunked up rings is an overnight soak with Seafoam followed by several short oil changes with a synthetic of as thin a viscosity as you can feel good about. I've had it work on a Toyota 1ZZ-FE and a VCM-equipped Honda J35.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If you just had the engine apart for repairs (assuming you repaired the head warp/gasket leak)... and it's still burning oil and short tripping... why would you want to use a pricey syn oil? I'd want the lowest saps I could to protect the converter, and the lowest price option I could find.

Or else fix it right.

Not sure what else's you're aiming for. A chemical fix could be worth a try, like keen, or even a solvent flush perhaps...

I stash synthetic oil at very low price during rebates (i.e. typically $2-3 / qt), so it is not much of a cost anyways.

Haven't used any expensive chemical fix, last time I was just curious so I tried AutoRX, but that's 10 years ago.

I've used AutoRx on several cars.

Fixed 2001 Camry V6 issue. But used it twice separated by 60K miles. Car good for last 70K

Fixed valvetrain noise on 2007 Honda Accord V4 too.

I haven't really been on this site for years. I've never received free product.

But I will say with modern engine oils AutoRx's days may be numbered. Too bad. fixes oil deposit issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back