AR run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like there is a legit AR run going on, based on looking at Davidson's stock. They were actually starting to get decent stock, up until now.

Last edited:
Prices are steady. It really isn't a run you til you start seeing the price gouging...

Last edited:
The Day After THX a few years ago I got a DPMS for $419 at Academy.

Wonder what happens this year....

There "WAS" starting to get a glut of AR parts finally .... not any more.

Currently working on my build and there are a lot of parts in stock relative to 3+ years ago when I looked.

It makes you wonder how many people are sitting on the fence, when it comes to purchasing these things? We've had how many runs on them since 2008? It all started over 10 years ago when the first one started with Obama getting elected. And it just keeps continuing. Davidson's is showing 0 stock, or else "Allocated" on most every AR they sell. 3 weeks ago they had hundreds.

And once the run starts, everyone and their brother jumps on board. I'm just not understanding these people. An AR-15 isn't something you wake up one morning deciding you want. And after all of these runs, you would think by now that anyone who even remotely wants one, would have one, or two. And if you have wanted one all of this time, why wait until a run starts on them before you buy one? One thing is for sure and for certain. There are a LOT of sheep out there. We've got a nation full of them. And sadly, a lot of them are gun owners..... Or are desperately trying to be at the last minute.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Prices are steady. It really isn't a run you til you start seeing the price gouging...
A lot of places are probably happy to move some of the stock they've been sitting on since 2016. I predict a panic soon.

Originally Posted By: hatt
A lot of places are probably happy to move some of the stock they've been sitting on since 2016. I predict a panic soon.

When this starts it becomes like a snowball rolling downhill. First these clowns strip the shelves of everything that was currently in stock. They've already done this in many places, Davidson's among them. This increases the demand because these people all want what they can't have. (That's the reason these runs start in the first place). As soon as existing stock runs out, the prices automatically start rising because of the increased demand, which adds to the whole problem.

In a very short period of time the prices go sky high, the demand is pushed off the chart, and the supply becomes virtually non existent. This is exactly what happened to the .22 rimfire ammunition market. It then draws in people who never would have reacted to this foolishness in the first place. Builders start hoarding stripped lowers and uppers. So shortages start appearing with those items. Next it will spill over to all the .223 / 5.56 MM ammo. Prices will rise on those items, as supplies get bought up by all of the hoarders. And before you know it the whole thing becomes a 2008 election, Sandy Hook repeat. All that's missing is the ocean for all of the Lemming's to swim into.

Hopefully this doesn't carry over to reloading components. Prices were just starting to get good. I'm going to stop buying guns and focus on shooting what I have, a lot.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Hopefully this doesn't carry over to reloading components. Prices were just starting to get good. I'm going to stop buying guns and focus on shooting what I have, a lot.

That's the smart play. Run with the sheep, and you'll be slaughtered. Chances are this will all die out with little to no additional legislation that is going to hurt anyone. The best move is no move at all. Shoot and enjoy what you already have.

Over the past two years, with prices dropping to the lowest I've seen, and with places like SGAmmo selling in bulk at very good prices, I've stocked up on ammo. Over 15,000 rounds of rim fire. An equal number of centerfield rifle and handgun. I buy a case at a time. No sense messing around with hundreds of rounds in an order. I've got a minimum of 1,000 rounds for every caliber I own. Over 5,000 for the popular calibers, like 9mm and 5.56mm.

No different than buying stocks on the dip. Ammo has been on sale for the past two years. I plan to enjoy my hobby and keep shooting through the next crisis/panic, so while I won't buy guns at inflated prices, I will have the ability to hit the range when I feel like it.

Over the past two years, with prices dropping to the lowest I've seen, and with places like SGAmmo selling in bulk at very good prices, I've stocked up on ammo. Over 15,000 rounds of rim fire. An equal number of centerfield rifle and handgun. I buy a case at a time. No sense messing around with hundreds of rounds in an order. I've got a minimum of 1,000 rounds for every caliber I own. Over 5,000 for the popular calibers, like 9mm and 5.56mm.

No different than buying stocks on the dip. Ammo has been on sale for the past two years. I plan to enjoy my hobby and keep shooting through the next crisis/panic, so while I won't buy guns at inflated prices, I will have the ability to hit the range when I feel like it.

I started doing much the same for the last 10 years or so. I never bought when prices were high however. My reasoning was a bit different. I retired a little over 3 years ago, and I wanted to have a good stock of ammo and components on hand for retirement. As it turned out, my retirement income actually exceeds what I was earning when I was working. So it really wasn't necessary. Yet I'm still glad I did it, because now I'm shooting a lot more because I have more time. And because I have so much on hand, I can sit out these panic attacks until they subside.... And they always do.

Your stock purchasing analogy is right on. It's identical to ammo and gun buying. Do the exact opposite as everyone else, and you'll be fine. Buy stocks when no one wants them, and when ammo is priced at the basement, and still isn't moving. When everyone is telling you that now is the time to buy stocks and guns, you should already be sitting on yours, or else getting ready to sell them to the same people who are now chomping at the bit, telling you to buy.

It's like I keep telling my wife about her idiot sister. I keep telling her if anything ever happens to me, and she's not sure about what to do, don't do anything. Then ask her sister what she would do, and do the exact opposite. If she does, she'll make out like a bandit.

I'm not a super gun aficionado, but I do have several Firearms. I have a Mini-14, which I have large capacity mags for, and a folding stock. I've pondered buying some AR-15 variant, but I'm not sure that it would do anything better than my Mini-14.

So my question is: Is there any advantage in the AR platform, for a casual target shooter?

Originally Posted By: 02SE
So my question is: Is there any advantage in the AR platform, for a casual target shooter?

A good AR-15 might be a bit more accurate depending on what barrel length is has.

This is the start. I look at Davidson's stock quite often. You can see trends coming if you watch.

I'm not a super gun aficionado, but I do have several Firearms. I have a Mini-14, which I have large capacity mags for, and a folding stock. I've pondered buying some AR-15 variant, but I'm not sure that it would do anything better than my Mini-14.

I'm not a huge AR "fanboi". I like 'em, and I have one or two. Since the mini and the AR-15 are both (in standard form) the same caliber, it may simply come down to what you prefer to shoot. Or possibly the folding stock of a mini so equipped is a storage advantage.

There is no question certain AR's are very accurate.

The AR is going to be better in almost every way but if you're happy with the Mini keep doing what you're doing.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16

This is the start. I look at Davidson's stock quite often. You can see trends coming if you watch.

I can neither confirm or deny. But I was in Cabela's on Thursday evening, the line was long, multiple people were buying ARs, and the stock in the center section (since ARs aren't kept behind the counter like the other rifles) was low.

That said, when it was my turn, the staff didn't seem all that happy about the Bass Pro buyout so not sure if that's related.

And the gun library did have an A2 type government model Colt AR that was one of 8000 or so. It was like $4200 or something. Nice rifle, but wow. I do need to find a nice A2 attached handle upper... gun shows just have tacticool junk it seems.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I do need to find a nice A2 attached handle upper... gun shows just have tacticool junk it seems.

Palmetto State Armory has a very nice handle. Just not fond of the white logo...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back