J.C. Whitney catalogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else on here ever get the JC Whitney catalogs? As a kid growing up in the 60's my brother and I would always look forward to these catalogs when they came in the mail. My dad ordered a few tools from them and a vehicle emergency kits ( a small tool kit, some jumper cables and some reflecting triangles and a small first aid kit as well in a heavy canvas bag.) I still have the emergency car kit and keep it in the trunk of our Sonata. Besides the big Sears, Ward's and JC Penny Christmas gift catalogs the JC Whitney catalogs were quite a treat just to look through. Not sure when they quit sending them, I kept a couple of old JC Whitney catalogs, but we had our basement flood a few years back and had to toss them. I might just buy one on Ebay just for old times sake. Seems like JC whitney sent these out about 2-3 times per year. Probably mid 90's was the last catalog I recall getting from them.

I used to get them all the time. I might have a few boxed up with some Hot Rod magazines from the 60's and 70's.

I still get them. I never signed up for them, so my info was given to them through some retailer I made a purchase from.

It's still the same stuff, in the same order. Nitrous kits, engine blocks, track safety equipment, tires, etc.

In the 60s,,,if I had added all the add ons they said would increase horsepower by 30%, my 67 vw would have had 200hp, lol

I just did a quick search to their website, it states on there that they no longer print the legendary catalog , but they do have a Jeep Catalog and a Truck catelog in a electronic downloadable version.

I get emails from them, so they must still have an online presence. I have never ordered from them though.

I used to always get their catalogs, and also Warshawski and Co. It was exactly the same as J.C. Whitney, except the cover, and the prices were slightly cheaper. I understood it was suppose to only be for commercial customers. My dad ran a service station in those days, so I suppose that is why we got it.

The junk they had in that catalog. A 12v pizza oven and turn signal flasher that played Love Me Tender?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
The junk they had in that catalog. A 12v pizza oven and turn signal flasher that played Love Me Tender?
lol.gif

I bought one of those 'Love me tender' turn signal units, just for fun. My nephew and I fitted it in my sisters old Buick Skylark without telling her.

She came running into the house incredulous that the car was playing a tune everytime she used the turn signal.

My nephew explained to his mother the cars computer had a virus called 'Elvis is dead, and your car is too' and he knew a friend that could fix it for $20 :)

I grew up in the '50s and '60s and I enjoyed looking at them.
Anyone here remember the Honest Charley Speed Shop ones?
I got some cool stuff when I was starting to get into cars.

Double Darn.....should've ordered that brake lining riveting tool when I had the chance!

Those few items left over from the 1930's were TOPS!

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: Years ago I ordered 2 front strut replacement cartridges and 4 spark plugs for my 1927 Toyota Corolla De Lux.
The prices increased. They adjusted the order by sending me only 3 of the plugs and a check for a few cents.
Mind you, this was WAY before emailing but still, how freaking bogus was that?

IMPACT: The revived struts "lit my car fire". Thanks J.C. for making the inspiration affordable!

Back in the early 80's, I ordered something from them, paid for it by a personal check, and they couldn't fulfill the order. They sent me a refund check.
I went to the local burger joint and used it to pay for my meal as a third-party check.
Imagine my surprise when the eatery's owner came up to me a couple of weeks later and told me that the check from JC Whitney had bounced.
This was during the exact time that they declared bankruptcy and I got stuck for paying for parts that I didn't receive.

Back in the late '70s when I was young. I bought a couple of things from them and they kept sending me catalogs regularly for many years. They were good to browse through in the pre-Internet days.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I grew up in the '50s and '60s and I enjoyed looking at them.
Anyone here remember the Honest Charley Speed Shop ones?
I got some cool stuff when I was starting to get into cars.
+1

Their catalogs were MOST certainly entertaining to read through!

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
In the 60s,,,if I had added all the add-ons they said would increase horsepower by 30%, my 67 vw would have had 200hp, lol

They DID offer some of the "gimmicky-est" stuff I have ever seen...

Including DOZENS of "Increase your MPG!" type of items (none which actually worked)

I think I ordered from them maybe 3-4 times in the 80's...
being very dissatisfied with every order, I gave up on them.

My friends and I went to the Warshawski store on the south side of Chicago when I was about 16. It was in a horrible neighborhood and I felt in danger while there.

I always considered the J.C. Whitney catalogs the "wholesale " price catalogs of Warshawski.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back