Blasting intake valves DI goo with walnut shells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What a mess ... glad I don't own a DI vehicle.

I'm with you. Eventually I will have to bite the bullet, hopefully by that time we'll be talking about how great DI is and how well it evolved. IMO they're not too far away from nailing it.
27.gif

I'm glad my minivan is still port injected. It gets short tripped all the time and in winter hardly gets to the operating temp. Pretty much the worst case scenario for DI.

However, I would not have a problem owning a DI engine for regular commutes that are 30 minutes or longer.

I am surprised at the responses especially coming from a site whose membership is based heavily on applying the best in lubrication for an engine to prolong its life and even prevent oil related engine failures. It would be like using midgrade oil and hardly ever changing it and then discussing how to take valve covers/oil pan off and treatments to remove the thick sludge....all as a part of regular maintenance.

Treating the problem after it occurs is just silly when prevention is so logical, easy to perform and maintain and very affordable. An oil catch can is the solution.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I am surprised at the responses especially coming from a site whose membership is based heavily on applying the best in lubrication for an engine to prolong its life and even prevent oil related engine failures. It would be like using midgrade oil and hardly ever changing it and then discussing how to take valve covers/oil pan off and treatments to remove the thick sludge....all as a part of regular maintenance.

Treating the problem after it occurs is just silly when prevention is so logical, easy to perform and maintain and very affordable. An oil catch can is the solution.

Many cars can not have a catch can installed. The entire PCV system is internal.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Marco620
That stuff works. Used in conjunction with a PEA based cleaner like it says to and it did its job on my GDi Hyundai. No squirrels or chipmunks lost a meal over me getting the valves/throttle body cleaned. Best GDI cleaner on the market!!

How exactly would the PEA based cleaner they suggest (or are they referring to something other than the SI-1, Regane, or Techron fuel system cleaner fuel additives?
21.gif
) help clean the backs of the intake valves on a GDI engine setup?

Every person (and tech, mechanic, and tuner) I speak to about the CRC GDI intake tract spray product, who HAS actually used it, says that yes, it does help somewhat, but absolutely CANNOT clean off the valve backs/stems the way a shell media blasting CAN (and DOES).

Exactly. It is like trying to clean a muddy car with a spray bottle of water.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Very common on the early BMW with DI. The newer engines don't really have this issue though...

BMW currently has in effect no less than 6 SIB's for different model engines, including customized cleaning wands for each application. And don't forget the diesels. It is an ONGOING issue.

An oil catch can is the solution.

I would go so far as to say a potential minor mitigation, depending on the specific engine and it's running condition, but certainly NOTHING CLOSE to a "solution."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UberArchetype
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Very common on the early BMW with DI. The newer engines don't really have this issue though...

BMW currently has in effect no less than 6 SIB's for different model engines, including customized cleaning wands for each application. And don't forget the diesels. It is an ONGOING issue.

But engines that use Valvetronic, it is GREATLY reduced.

I am at 62k on my own car and the valves are still clean.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
What a mess ... glad I don't own a DI vehicle. Some engines are now using both DI and port FI in order to keep the intake valves clean.

The latest Mustang 5.0 'Coyotes' are setup like this.
thumbsup2.gif

(Hopefully, GM will follow suit as well.
wink.gif
)

I am even thinking about doing an aftermarket version of this eventually (with a major tune of course to accommodate/meter the extra fuel) to my ride for this very reason alone.
IF going to a much bigger turbo setup than stock on this car it becomes a necessity since the factory DI system 'runs of of fuel' at about 300 WHP.

Originally Posted By: UberArchetype
An oil catch can is the solution.

I would go so far as to say a potential minor mitigation, depending on the specific engine and it's running condition, but certainly NOTHING CLOSE to a "solution."

^^^THIS

They certainly help lessen the buildup, or at least slow it down a little (WHY I have installed one on my EcoBoost), but absolutely do NOT totally prevent it from occurring.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back