Ford Orange = Dex Cool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a jug of Motorcraft Orange coolant for my Fusion. I noticed my wife's Silverado needs a coolant top off and was considering using what I have. I've searched the web to find out if they are compatible but can't find anything definitive. Preston Dex Cool mitts the Ford spec for my car so I'm assuming I can mix them, but I just wanted to be sure. As always, thanks in advance!

My 2017 Fusion uses this coolant as well. Wasn't Dex Cool bogus in GM engines soon time ago?

Hold up! Ford coolant at least within the past 5-10 years was HOAT coolant, aka Zerex G05. Not sure if for 2015 they still used it. Dexcool and universals are OAT...mix the two and you'll have a bad time.

Last edited:
It was more to do with gasket material compatibility IIRC. Many millions of GM cars running Dexcool have never had any trouble, it does keep the system clean and corrosion free.

@Trav- as long as you don't try to run it for 150k
smile.gif

The Specialty Orange is Dexcool. The Fords (and many other newer manufacturers)now have a degas tank to prevent air bubbles in the coolant, which was the cause of the rust and sludge issues experienced in the older GM engines (along with mixing coolants, junk LIM gaskets, etc.).

Last edited:
Several years since I owned a Ford & at that time , everything ran the old / traditional green stuff .

I have 2 GM cars that run Dex + a 1991 Chevy running green .

So , not being very knowledgeable about Fords , I would run what Ford recommends & would not mix coolant , except for an emergency .

2 gallons of coolant is not that much money . Just go down to Walley World and purchase " Ford " coolant .

Best of luck to you , :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
smile.gif

True, I think it was good for 6yr 100K right?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/quickref/coolantsEN.pdf

So, what was the short-lived love affair with Ford and the dark green coolant? My 2011 Fusion has it, and I guess I didn't realize how short lived it was. Was it not good?

I guess it would be just as easy to flush it out this summer, replace it with some Peak Long Life, and be done with it.

Those were done on vehicles with powertrains shared with Mazda, around when they changed to orange the love affair with Mazda ended.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Hold up! Ford coolant at least within the past 5-10 years was HOAT coolant, aka Zerex G05. Not sure if for 2015 they still used it. Dexcool and universals are OAT...mix the two and you'll have a bad time.

My 2015 uses Motorcraft Orange coolant, not G05. I'm not mixing anything yet. I'm trying to determine if Motorcraft Orange and Dex Cool are the same thing.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Several years since I owned a Ford & at that time , everything ran the old / traditional green stuff .

I have 2 GM cars that run Dex + a 1991 Chevy running green .

So , not being very knowledgeable about Fords , I would run what Ford recommends & would not mix coolant , except for an emergency .

2 gallons of coolant is not that much money . Just go down to Walley World and purchase " Ford " coolant .

Best of luck to you , :)

I'm running the Motorcraft Orange in my Fusion. My wife's Silverado needs a coolant top off so I was wondering if the Motorcraft Orange and Dex Cool are the same thing. The Prestone Dex Cool meets the appropriate Ford specs so I could use it in the Fusion. That makes me wonder if I can use it for her truck. It would be great to be a "one coolant" family

Last edited:
"'m running the Motorcraft Orange in my Fusion. My wife's Silverado needs a coolant top off so I was wondering if the Motorcraft Orange and Dex Cool are the same thing. The Prestone Dex Cool meets the appropriate Ford specs so I could use it in the Fusion. That makes me wonder if I can use it for her truck. It would be great to be a "one coolant" family"

Use the Motorcraft Orange in the Silverado that is

Originally Posted By: PW01
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper

My 2015 uses Motorcraft Orange coolant, not G05. I'm not mixing anything yet. I'm trying to determine if Motorcraft Orange and Dex Cool are the same thing.

I do trust bdcardinal, but I've had some CarQuests in my area, which do not even sell the (usually) higher priced Motorcraft orange (and DID have Zerex Dex Cool right on the shelf), tell me that it is NOT Dex Cool.
21.gif
confused2.gif

My wife's 2011 Mustang had Ford / Motorcraft orange as the factory fill, I replaced it last summer after 6 years service with CQ orange coolant, which was much less expensive especially with the use of AAP online discount codes.

The Ford / MC orange coolant is DexCool, you'll see that spec number on the Zerex Dexcool orange coolant on the Valvoline product web site. The Ford / Motorcraft spec number for Ford / MC Gold coolant appears on the info for Zerex G05 on the Valvoline web site. Check the PI sheets for the corresponding spec numbers.

Zerex DexCool Link

Zerex G05 Link

To me the spec numbers mean more than anyone's verbal assessment, including someone working in a FLAPS.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
smile.gif

True, I think it was good for 6yr 100K right?

My 1997 has a sticker under the hood. 5 year/ 150,000 miles IIRC.

My wife's 2011 Mustang OM says 6 years / 100K miles on factory fill Ford / MC Orange coolant, then every 3 years / 50K miles after replacing the factory fill.

With a 30% AAP discount code and a 10% AAP rebate from my BoA CC, the CQ Orange concentrate antifreeze cost me $10.07 / gal; distilled water from HEB was $0.88 / gal.

CQ Orange Antifreeze Link

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back