Rust on Mobil 1 oil filter base plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I was browsing through the oil filters listed on Oreilly's website for my brother's car. The Mobil 1 oil filter listed has rust on the baseplate. The warehouse or store has high humidity? This is the new Mobil 1 oil filter, with the new label. I have not noticed any rust on all the older Mobil 1 oil filters I have used. It caught my eye because I have not seen it before. Is this a storage issue? Or did Champ Labs not put some kind of rust inhibitor coating on the baseplate?

Here is a link to Oreilly's website.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/1-431...997/honda/civic

Last edited:
Probably stored in high humidity, or got wet somehow. Unknown if Mobil uses any anti-corrosion treatment on the metals - obviosly not on the one that rusted.

Fuggedaboutit. Just order Amsoil filters, inside the box they come in their own plastic wrapper from the factory.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Fuggedaboutit. Just order Amsoil filters, inside the box they come in their own plastic wrapper from the factory.

Are they not made by the same company? Champ?

What looks like "rust" around the outside edge of the base in the link might be excess seam sealant.

That filter is perfectly fine. I'd wipe the base plate, fill the filter with oil, lube the gasket and wipe any excess oil on the base plate. That leaves a nice protective coating of oil on the base plate. That will stop rusting dead in its tracks. I've done that more times than I can remember.

Ive seen spot rust on filters before. Wipe it to remove flaky metal, and the oil that touches it from that point on will prevent any subsequent corrosion.

Man, don't get me started on O'reilley's. They are very sloppy. Once I get to buy some AC Delco sparkplugs for out Impala. They were used and full of crud and they were selling them as new.

I don't buy anything from there any more. That was the thing that made say "[censored] naw."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Donaldson.

Donaldson.

Donaldson - A very good choice.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Some are... some are not?

I suppose it depends on the vehicle/filter size

Forget about it and FRAM ULTRA it! No sense in paying for a M1 or Amsoil filter, that's just a name and pretty canister you're getting. When you can get a filter that's just as good (if not better) for half the price and find it anywhere.
M1 filters never impressed me for what they cost. Nothing exceptional about them other than the strong internals and canister, the filter media is a disappointment for the price tag, and media is what matters the most.
Amsoil filters are great, but the RIDICULOUS dollar sign on those babies is what keeps me away, same goes for Royal Purple filters. They're both the same filter according to BITOG faithful, and it's all just a name you're paying for, not the filter itself.

Just my two pennies.., Carry on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back