My oil will hit one year in few months but 3k mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO my 2009 Toyota is used as a daily commute but my commute is sub 12 miles (in traffic, total drive per direction is 25 min). The oil will hit one year in May and the car should hit 3k miles by then. Will it be worth it to change it or should I keep it longer?
It's Penn Platinum High Mileage 5w-20.

I don't like keeping oil in more than a year, so my vote is to change it when the year is up
smile.gif

I'd keep it in and do a drain and fill on the tranny or something to scratch the itch.

Recently did a used oil analysis on a 2 year old oil in my 2002 Toyota weekend ride with 95k miles that went less than 5k miles those two years. To my freakin' surprise the oil (G-oil by the way) was still stout (plenty of TBN) and could have gone farther. Despite that I would not roll the dice and that again.

Last edited:
I'd change it. Cars are too expensive and oil is too cheap to try and eek out every last month or mile of service out of it.

UOA then you will know for sure.

Short trips, without any long highway runs are tough on oil.

What filter did you use?

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Even Amsoill SS says to replace once per yr.

Yes, it does. https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf Page 4 of 4 SERVICE LIFE Normal Service – Up to 25,000 miles, 700 hours of operation or one year, whichever comes first, in personal vehicles not operating under severe service. But if you dig a little deeper and send in UOA, Horizon Test Lab (Amsoil) does not even ask for an initial sample until 7500 miles.

I've been sending them oil samples for many years; and I'll tell you that engineers have two favorite words: Depends and Perhaps. Depends upon the vehicle, storage conditions, driving conditions, etc. Anything that anyone says is nothing but speculation until an oil analysis is done. My two cents as to what the OP should do is send in an oil sample for analyzation and make an informed decision. Need not do this every oil change, but you're attempting to set precedent. If memory serves me correctly (which it often does NOT there is a user on here (A310 or Crusher) that has about 75K on Amsoil SS [with bypass oil filtration]). I've only run Amsoil out to 37+K; with supporting UOA.

Of course, you can always change it however often lets you sleep at night. Why not throw good oil away? Go for it, keeps the economy going and BITOG runs on speculation.

It depends on what it looks like on the dipstick. If it's dark and dirty looking after being in there for a year, I'd change it out. I like seeing clean gold translucent oil on my dipstick.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
I'd change it. Cars are too expensive and oil is too cheap to try and eek out every last month or mile of service out of it.

Absolutely !

Originally Posted By: razel
Recently did a used oil analysis on a 2 year old oil in my 2002 Toyota weekend ride with 95k miles that went less than 5k miles those two years. To my freakin' surprise the oil (G-oil by the way) was still stout (plenty of TBN) and could have gone farther.

The 15W-40 in my Farmall H is 20 years old (API SJ / CH?)

It gets started once a year, brought up to temp, then worked pretty hard for an hour.

The oil still looks great.
I should do a UOA on it, I'm sure it is still fine.

Although it probably still has some good miles left in it, I would change it just for “peace of mind”.
I see your using PPHM. How many miles are on your vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back