Dealers/Mechanics and old parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do the dealerships and independent mechanics do with old parts? Specifically I was wondering about metal parts. My girlfriend had a minor accident and needed 2 rims replaced (although I didn't see anything) and when I picked up the car the rims were long gone.

My suspicion is the parts were still good and were sold and for other parts that were legitimately no good those are scrapped.

Unless there is a core value, they usually throw them out back and some scrapper comes by and picks them up. If insurance paid to have the rims replaced, they had to have some damage. There are companies that will buy them and refinish.

Unless there is a core charge, which most of the wheels we sell now have them, the metal is saved for a scrap guy to come and buy off of us. We use the money to pay for lunch for the shop.

If they are not warranty they get scrapped right away. They are not selling used wheels from a accident victim thats for sure, the liability is far to great.
I just put old stuff in a pile and usually the next day they are gone, a couple of guys come by a few times a week on their way to the scrap heap, yes I let them have the old cats too it keeps them coming back, its a good deal all round.

O and warranty parts stay in parts until Ford/Mazda give us disposition on what to do with them. For example I was off for 2 weeks in February and came back to 43 parts waiting for me to ship back including 34 of the Ranger airbags.

Scrap value.

A few years ago I took four aluminum wheels to the recycler. I think I got about $35 for them.

Many years ago, my brother had a repair shop, when the rate for scrap iron was high, the scrappers stopped by very frequently. At the time, his scrap barrels rarely accumulated more than some worn brake disks, old exhaust parts, etc. before they were emptied.

The scrap value for iron and steel is very low. Unless things have changed, the scrappers provide the service of removal, for their effort they get to keep the recycle value of the iron / steel.

You have the right to ask a shop to give you your old parts back, or if they have a core value, you can still inspect them to confirm they are bad.

Get this written on the repair order, because otherwise they may get disposed of quickly.

The new tariffs are going to make selling scrap metal more lucrative.

yes they will always give you your parts back, but you really need to say beforehand otherwise they don't want to hold onto your scrap, just in case you want it.
Parts get delivered multiple times per day. That same amount of scrap needs to be taken out at the same rate otherwise your shop turns into a junkyard

That is just the custom and default behavior and ultimately we live un a society of customs. You dont want 25pages of questions to confirm what you want to do before they start working.

Its the same as ordering a soda with no ice. Its not a big deal but bring it up before it shows up to your table. If you don't bring it up, and they have to redo things, then it becomes a whole deal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
yes they will always give you your parts back, but you really need to say beforehand otherwise they don't want to hold onto your scrap, just in case you want it.
Parts get delivered multiple times per day. That same amount of scrap needs to be taken out at the same rate otherwise your shop turns into a junkyard

That is just the custom and default behavior and ultimately we live un a society of customs. You dont want 25pages of questions to confirm what you want to do before they start working.

Its the same as ordering a soda with no ice. Its not a big deal but bring it up before it shows up to your table. If you don't bring it up, and they have to redo things, then it becomes a whole deal.

Good point. When my Jeep was wrecked, I considered asking for the old wheel back since it was scratched but still usable. I figured why bother...I'll end up storing something that I'll never use.

So it sounds that for most mechanics it's a small side revenue and for the average customer they don't want the parts either because then they have to dispose them.

I would have asked for the old parts back, but my GF was doing the talking.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
So it sounds that for most mechanics it's a small side revenue and for the average customer they don't want the parts either because then they have to dispose them.

We get maybe $100 a month from scrap. That includes the entire shop of 12 techs. Most of the catalytic converters we replace are under warranty so Ford and Mazda call them back.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra

Seriously? I know what's going on and decided it was worthless scrap. I'd say 99.9% of the motoring public would agree. Let some guy that's really hard up cruising the back of shops have it.

I wish all customers would want their parts back - then we could fill their car up with old tyres, disc pads and rotors, clutches and ball joints, rusted out exhausts. Why don't they want this stuff back ? The mysteries of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back