My wife is in LOVE with BMWs...advice requested

Status
Not open for further replies.
If she just has to have one then lease a new one complete with all maintenance included. When the lease is up get another or bail out. I have multiple friends at a BMW dealership and this advice came straight from them. Oh, make sure a loaner car is in your contract.

I have a 2003 Z4 with 150k miles and it's been pretty reliable. The biggest issue was a cracked expansion reservoir at 100k and I opted to do a complete cooling overhaul. My labor, parts about $700 for everything including the sensors.

It has needed the valve cover gasket changed -- about 1 hour of work and $40 in parts. It also needed control arm bushings, again, a couple of hours of work and $100 in parts. The last thing it needed was the MAF boot which was around $50 in parts and half an hour of labor.

Lease one that has been in the market for a few years. When your lease is done and if it is still good, you can buy it out.

Buy the longest warranty you can get your hands on. You'll need it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

http://bimmertips.com/bmw-battery-registering-and-programming-explained/

The sad thing is, these kind of battery management system is everywhere (i.e. in your phone) that cost only about $1 in parts. A properly written software can perform self calibration without expensive manufacturer procedure (dealer labor) and equipment (expensive due to low volume).

IMO they intentionally do this to increase profit margin, or they cut corner assuming that they know better than their customers. A new college grad can build something like this in 1 month and integrate it into the car, running it every time someone reconnect the battery.

Last edited:
Does it really matter who could build it or anything else, its in the car and its going to be in more cars. Its just something we need to deal with.
I am sure today many people could build a electronic ignition to replace points or make a light bulb at home its easy enough once its been done.
Start stop tech for one example is making this sort of thing mandatory to prevent dead cars at red lights or traffic jams.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

The sad thing is, these kind of battery management system is everywhere (i.e. in your phone) that cost only about $1 in parts. A properly written software can perform self calibration without expensive manufacturer procedure (dealer labor) and equipment (expensive due to low volume).

IMO they intentionally do this to increase profit margin, or they cut corner assuming that they know better than their customers. A new college grad can build something like this in 1 month and integrate it into the car, running it every time someone reconnect the battery.

It's money maker and generally a scare tactic, nothing bad will happen if you don't update the battery registration in the car.

My buddy bought a brand new 2008 BMW X5 in 08. As soon as the warranty was up -- the tranny went out less then 1000 miles later. He paid to have that fixed -- turned into the biggest money pit ever till he unloaded it for a new Honda Odyssey in 2014. Get acouple beers in him and he will go off about that money pit for hours. Even riding with him seeing a BMW -- dont say a word. Lol

Dale

Originally Posted By: Rand
does she want a status symbol or a fun to drive car?

She wants a "sexy" car that is also fun to drive. In other words, it isn't necessarily about status. It is what looks good to her eye. And Bimmers have always been the car that look best to her.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
Originally Posted By: Rand
does she want a status symbol or a fun to drive car?

She wants a "sexy" car that is also fun to drive. In other words, it isn't necessarily about status. It is what looks good to her eye. And Bimmers have always been the car that look best to her.

Get her a Miata or Subaru BRZ.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Make her happy and get her the car she wants.

Yep just bite the bullet and do it, get it out of her system.

Wife and I did the same thing with Audi, it's was a great looking and driving car, but always something going wrong with it. We were happy to have owned one, but now wife never wants to own another Audi again. We did it and moved on.

Life is for living, all cars come and go.

For us driving the Audi was great, owning the Audi was rubbish, the experience was educational. No regrets, but no more Audi.

If finances aren't a big issue, just go and see what you guys can do. You can "upgrade" to the Highlander, and sell the Tacoma, etc. Like you had already said, life is too short.

Originally Posted By: Dorian
If finances aren't a big issue, just go and see what you guys can do. You can "upgrade" to the Highlander, and sell the Tacoma, etc. Like you had already said, life is too short.

I'll probably keep my truck even though it has a ton of miles on it. It is super reliable and trouble free. Plus, it is a pretty bare bones vehicle so there is less to go wrong. I'll have her read this thread and see if she still wants one. I mean, I don't know if it is worth the money and potential hassle just to teach ourselves a life lesson that BMWs aren't worth it. :-/ I don't mind spending money on quality. I just don't want to spend money and downgrade vehicle quality.

Think I'd rather have a Renault. Go ahead and buy the BMW. Its either gonna run SOP and be flawless or a POS. Make sure you have a decent dealer/service center. You can have a great car and a shotty dealership and the car wont be worth it which in turn will make you feel like you bought a Yugo.

I say go for it. Just do your oil changes more often that what the car calls for. As soon as the car is out of warranty, all the local dealers here recommend 8000 km oil changes.

My own car is over 5 years old now, and I have not had a single problem yet, nothing but just routine maintenance. I do my oil changes every 6000 km though, right from day 1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

It's money maker and generally a scare tactic, nothing bad will happen if you don't update the battery registration in the car.

That is terrible advice, yes, it absolutely can.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

And you know this how? This is exactly the attitude that causes trouble an gives the cars a bad name for no other reason than owners knowing better than the manufacturer about how their systems work. These are high tech vehicles not a 66 Chevy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back