Napa Platinum 47356

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
This is the Napa Platinum filter for Honda vehicles. I know there's often not much love for Napa Platinum due to their ratings, but I had one sitting in the bin, and I wanted to try my oil filter cutting tool.

If OE Honda filters are biased towards flow and not efficiency, the rating of this filter doesn't bother me as much. I don't know if I'd consider using one in the future vs OE, either for every other oil change in our Odyssey, or every change (due to it going 12-15k) in our Accord Hybrid.

Note that some pleats are uneven. My only real exposure to filter pleats has been European filters where at least going in they are all even (upon compression they often bend and look more mangled coming out, depending upon cap and filter design).

The media is well potted. It has some reddish color around the edges, but the potting looks black.

The backing screen is not plastic. It is coated metal.

Not sure how to judge media - seems stiff, fibrous. Not sure if it's glass, cellulose, mixed, etc.

Enjoy FWIW!!

Looks Good, I like the screen backing.
smile.gif

I would have no problem using that on anything, it looks good. We know the dislike for them on this board is totally unfounded and based on meaningless advertising hype for another brand.

49.gif
27.gif

Last edited:
The WIx XP/Napa Platinum is an awesome filter (and on sale this month for $9 for all the spin-on versions), but the 7356 size media cartridge is way too small!

Always buy filters on looks, and forget how they perform.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
I would have no problem using that on anything, it looks good. We know the dislike for them on this board is totally unfounded and based on meaningless advertising hype for another brand.

49.gif
27.gif

My thoughts exactly...

Quote:
The WIx XP/Napa Platinum is an awesome filter (and on sale this month for $9 for all the spin-on versions), but the 7356 size media cartridge is way too small.. 'imo'

Edited that for you. Otoh, imo and my experience the Napa Gold 7356 element has plenty enough media to get the job done. Same goes for the topic XP element imo, which would be the same size but use dome bypass instead of the NG thread end. Here's my latest NG 7356 run ~6k miles. Typical results ime and I've been quite satisfied with the NG 7356.

As for topic Platinum/(XP), always have looked to be a well made filter imo. As for the other area oft debated here, leave that to others. 'If' information accurate, likely in the Honda oem ball park range. But, for personal use the Napa Gold 7356 works for my oci/fci, and beta points to good efficiency. And I get them on sale for
Thanks for c&p.

I use these filters all the time on my Honda's....2 OCI's for 13-17k miles total. They work GREAT.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
wink.gif

I only buy the Fram Ultras because the sure-grip means I don't need a filter wrench
smile.gif

For a piece of machinery like a compressor, I get it. Couple hundred thousand dollars, very very tight tolerances, things go REALLY bad without excellent filtration. For a car engine, I just don't think it's quite as critical as we all like to believe. Important, sure. End of your car engine, not so much.

Newer engines seem to run tighter clearances, so I'll opt for better filtration, especially if running longer OCIs.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
wink.gif

Will running it void the warranty? Are we really expected to believe a premium well established and respected manufacturer produces their flagship product to an inferior standard and once it became known if they were continue to produce them with no changes? Its a fair question.

Inferior to what some people want out of an oil filter. If someone doesn't care about efficiency then it's a great filter for them and they should use it. I won't use OEM filters for the same reason. Freedom of choice, it's a beautiful thing.
grin2.gif

I use OE if readily available, I figure if they are good enough for the manufacturer to put on the car and warranty it its good enough for me. With NAPA being so close I usually go with the Gold.

Originally Posted By: Trav

49.gif
27.gif

From what I recall reading, the "dislike" of this line was that the beta results were poorly and generically stated in literature and from the Wix technical support line.

Did think there was a fanboi element to these specific filters.

I'm a big fan of Fram Ultra as well. They're interchangeable to me for the most part. My consideration related to Honda is especially for my hybrid. It can shut the engine off while cruising at 80MPH, the. Start back up and go immediately to full power to go up a hill. Over thousands of such cycles, split seconds with thin, low viscosity, hot oil in bearings may have an effect. So if Honda OE filters bias flow over efficiency, I think I'd err on that side at least for the hybrid. I do have OE filters in stock too...

I verified that I have one of these on the accord and a FU on the Odyssey currently 50% into its second OCI.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
The WIx XP/Napa Platinum is an awesome filter (and on sale this month for $9 for all the spin-on versions), but the 7356 size media cartridge is way too small.. 'imo'

Edited that for you. Otoh, imo and my experience the Napa Gold 7356 element has plenty enough media to get the job done. Same goes for the topic XP element imo, which would be the same size but use dome bypass instead of the NG thread end. Here's my latest NG 7356 run ~6k miles. Typical results ime and I've been quite satisfied with the NG 7356.

As for topic Platinum/(XP), always have looked to be a well made filter imo. As for the other area oft debated here, leave that to others. 'If' information accurate, likely in the Honda oem ball park range. But, for personal use the Napa Gold 7356 works for my oci/fci, and beta points to good efficiency. And I get them on sale for
Thanks for c&p.

Given your assessment that there is "enough" media on the Wix filters, have you ever compared wix to OE Filtech or Honeywell?

I've compared them only as an observation. The Rank Fram made A02 or Filtech A01 have more media area than the 7356. However, using the Amsoil ISO test data points, and NG7356 beta, fwiw, the NG more efficient.

Enough for me, means enough to not exceed the 7356 holding capacity over the course of my oci/fci. In my experience and observation, the 7356 does that. In an average to well maintained vehicle, most don't approach the holding capacity over the course of an oci/fci. That and I just prefer the construction of the Napa Gold/Wix.

For reference though, currently running an NG7356 on one Honda and XG7317 on another. Obviously I'd be more inclined to run the XG twice. But at

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
My consideration related to Honda is especially for my hybrid. It can shut the engine off while cruising at 80MPH, the. Start back up and go immediately to full power to go up a hill. Over thousands of such cycles, split seconds with thin, low viscosity, hot oil in bearings may have an effect. So if Honda OE filters bias flow over efficiency, I think I'd err on that side at least for the hybrid. I do have OE filters in stock too...

If the oil is hot, then any filter is going to flow just fine and not have much delta-p across the media. Only time it would matter is if the oil was very cold and the engine went to near redline and caused the oil pump to hit pressure relief. So really no such thing as "flow over efficiency" except if some very rare circumstances. And it's entirely possible to have good flow and efficiency at the same time.

This is why I can't stand Fram Ultra's....

You can NOT show a filter on this website without a grip full of dudes who are trying to be President of the Frm Ultra Fan Club showing up in your thread proclaiming Ultra's are better.

Those Fanboi's are relentless. Sometimes it actually [censored] me off.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many Wix filters show assembly defects? That is what I want, no glaring defects. Since Toyota did an actual analysis on a heavily used 1 million mile vehicle and found no wear, and a no name oil filter beat the Fram Ultra in a Blackstone referenced particle count test, it seems to me the whole multi pass efficiency obsession is too heavily promoted.

Maybe ISO should come up with an official "looks good" test procedure and rating scale.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back