Looking for a decent electric coffeemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the subject says.

I make maybe a pot a day. Would like a clock and the ability to set it to brew at a certain time. That's it. No need for an on-board grinder, I've already got that covered. No frothing, no steaming, no sprinkles, no need to tell me when it's time to run a cleaning cycle, just make a pot of black coffee.

I'd probably prefer a glass carafe. The thermal carafes that I've seen & used have smaller volumes.

I've been buying in the $40 - $60 US range, a KitchenAid and a few different Mr. Coffee models, and none of the last 4 have made it past a year or two.

The $10 Rival coffeemaker that I got at Walmart 10 years ago is still working fine, but it has no clock.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

After going through several of those cheap mr. coffee type makers, I inherited my Mom's old General 12 cup electric stainless steel peculator when she passed back in 2014. I could never go back to a mr. Coffee again and IMO percolated coffee tastes so much better. Granted, it takes about a minute per cup, but since I am retired, time is a non factor and it is worth the wait. I do not need a clock a timer or a computer on my coffee maker, I just simply ask that it makes a good cup of coffee and it does.It does have a weak or strong setting and I just leave it on strong all of the time.

All of the consumer level ones are identical right? My current GE 12 cup has all the features you want and I paid $20 for it at WalMart. Pretty sure it is rebranded and sold under various other brands because nothing about it is proprietary. The auto-on feature is pretty simple and works reliably, but I wish these things had a battery back up because they lose the time/settings during power outages.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
After going through several of those cheap mr. coffee type makers, I inherited my Mom's old General 12 cup electric stainless steel peculator when she passed back in 2014. I could never go back to a mr. Coffee again and IMO percolated coffee tastes so much better. Granted, it takes about a minute per cup, but since I am retired, time is a non factor and it is worth the wait. I do not need a clock a timer or a computer on my coffee maker, I just simply ask that it makes a good cup of coffee and it does.It does have a weak or strong setting and I just leave it on strong all of the time.

Yes to the percolator. My oldest sister got my mom's Kenmore percolator. It makes great coffee, and yes, it tastes better than drip.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
This one is a bit more but worth it. Has a charcoal water filter, clock and pretty straightforward.
My last one lasted 6 years with daily use.
It brews good coffee.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00005IBX...maker&psc=1

It comes with a 3 year warranty as well.

I second Cuisiart and being in IL, you may be able to find this one at a Menards if you have one nearby. https://www.menards.com/main/appliances/...3888&ipos=2

Mom is on her second one, and currently has this model. The only reason she needed a replacement is because she cracked the carafe and a new carafe was about half the cost of a new coffee maker. Word of warning though, this brews hot so be careful with the first couple of sips right after you pour a cup.
13.gif

Also, while this one has a cleaning cycle, with regular use of the charcoal filter, we've never had the indicator light come on for either this unit or its predecessor.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
This one is a bit more but worth it. Has a charcoal water filter, clock and pretty straightforward.
My last one lasted 6 years with daily use.
It brews good coffee.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00005IBX...maker&psc=1

It comes with a 3 year warranty as well.

I second Cuisiart and being in IL, you may be able to find this one at a Menards if you have one nearby. https://www.menards.com/main/appliances/...3888&ipos=2

Mom is on her second one, and currently has this model. The only reason she needed a replacement is because she cracked the carafe and a new carafe was about half the cost of a new coffee maker. Word of warning though, this brews hot so be careful with the first couple of sips right after you pour a cup.
13.gif

Also, while this one has a cleaning cycle, with regular use of the charcoal filter, we've never had the indicator light come on for either this unit or its predecessor.

Was on clearance at WM for 64. The reviews scared me away. Seems almost disposable. It also can overheat and melt!

Last edited:
My Mr Coffee has got to be over 30 years old. I've had to repair the silicone hose inside it once. Clock runs fast. But no way would I replace it with something that will have the electronics blow out with a thunderstorm.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
My Mr Coffee has got to be over 30 years old. I've had to repair the silicone hose inside it once. Clock runs fast. But no way would I replace it with something that will have the electronics blow out with a thunderstorm.

I have a bunn pourover unit now. Probably be around 50 years from now. Still made in the US, somewhere in the midwest.

Dittos on the percolator. If you are using good coffee to begin with then this is the way to go. Farberware used to make a good one. Stick with stainless steel.

I grew up on percolated stove top coffee. The electric ones are much better.

I hear you re electric perc coffee.

An old Corningware (white ceramic) tall perc IS better in my opinion but you must watch the heat....NOT TOO HIGH.

I just prefer glass (or ceramic) to metal. Just me, and all that.

Me too on the percolator. Picked up a couple like nre ones at antique stores. Coffee is much better flavor and stays hot for 4-5 hours without burnt taste. Paper filters from Amazon keeps the grounds where they belong.

Been using the same Mr. Coffee for the last 21 years and haven't tasted a brew any better.

We received a Bunn unit over Christmas and really like it. It has a water tank that keeps the water heated, pour in the water for a new pot and since the water is already hot in the tank, the new pot is brewed in ~2 minutes. No screen, clock, timer etc to get messed up, just a power switch.

Another vote for BUNN.

Many years ago, I was using one of the standard "Mr. Coffee" units. I noticed that the coffee I got at restaurants and cafes was much better, compared to my Mr. Coffee, at home, which made the coffee taste harsh and plasticky.

What I've since learned is that all those restaurants and cafes use BUNN makers.

There are a few factors that are important in brewing coffee in an automatic maker. Water temp must be correct (about 195-205 deg.), and flow must be correct - about 3-5 min. to brew. Any less and the grounds don't get a proper extraction. Any more and it's over-extracted, making the coffee taste harsh.

Most of your store-bought Mr. Coffee-style makers over-extract the grounds because they heat the water as it flows instead of keeping it at the proper temp all the time, like the BUNN. As a result, the brew cycle takes longer than optimal, over-extracting the grounds and making it taste harsh.

Now, I will say, I do drink my coffee black (as God intended). So I'm pretty sensitive to the taste. If you're doctoring up (read: ruining) your coffee with a bunch of junk, you may not notice the difference.

But, with the BUNN, I'm able to make a good, strong cup of black coffee that is NOT harsh. Just rich and flavorful.

No, it's not available with a timer, or other fancy features. IMHO they're not needed. If you're wanting it as soon as you wake up, just put your grounds in the filter basket and pour your water into the unit so that all you have to do is close the lid and it starts brewing.

As somebody else mentioned, the fact that it keeps the water ready all the time means that a full pot takes only 3 minutes. Half a pot, even less time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back